Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

with the #69 pick the Arizona Cardinals select Tyrann Mathie
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: with the #69 pick the Arizona Cardinals select Tyrann Mathie Reply with quote

With the 69th pick the Arizona Cardinals select Tyrann Mathieu

This pick in part confuses me and yet I do understand it to a point. Patrick Peterson was a probowl PR, but he is focusing on being a "shut down corner" and his return game is suffering. Tyrann is a dynamic punt returner. That said I do not see him as just a punt returner, I can see him playing the nickel or making the move to Free Safety as he has ball skills. This is a true boom or bust pick for the Cardinals as he does have character concerns with drugs and that is the last thing we need is another player suspended for multiple games. I believe with Peterson and a strong support system he can play to his full potential like a true Honey Badger.

Strengths

Fiesty turnover machine who lines up outside, in the slot and at safety when needed. Instinctual player with very good read-and-react ability, always seems to work his way into position to make a play on the ball. Does whatever it takes to make a stop, fights through blocks using hands and quickness, goes low or high and doesnít let up after initial contact. Brings enough force despite his size to get ballcarriers off balance with a glancing blow. Constantly rips at the ball while making a tackle or when others have secured the stop. Fights for jump balls with taller receivers downfield. Regularly used as a blitzer due to his feel, quickness and tenacity. Very good vision and short-area quickness as a punt returner, can make the first man miss and cut back effectively against the grain. Will go outside if the space is there but also slalom through traffic up the field when necessary. Also has balance and strength to get through arm tackles. Will also be a strong tackler on coverage units if required.
Weaknesses
Mathieuís issues with substance abuse will be the primary focus of NFL teams whenever he decides to pursue a career in professional football. Possesses below-average size for the position. Usually brings down ballcarriers of any size, NFL veterans might prove a bigger challenge. Quicker than fast, though his effort often masks average straight-line speed for his size. Must prove his ability to stay with larger receivers and tight end in man coverage, as they use their length advantage to separate and frame to shield him from the ball. Will take chances as a punt returner, grabbing the ball on a bounce or inside the 5-yard line.
NFL Comparison
Cortland Finnegan
Bottom Line
The 2011 Bednarik Award winner as the nationís top defender was dismissed from LSU for multiple violations of team rules. Subsequently, he decided to enter a drug rehab center and ultimately ended up declaring for the draft instead of transferring. When on the field, the undersized but ultracompetitive turnover machine (six forced fumbles, two interceptions in 2011) brings the physicality of a bigger player in his tackles, no matter where he plays. Mathieu is also a game-changer as a punt returner, ranking fourth in the country last year with 16.2 yards per attempt and scoring two touchdowns.

Positives:
Plays bigger than his size. Doesn't back from the physical challenge of lining up opposite taller wideouts and is actually more effective the closer he is to the line of scrimmage, demonstrating stellar instincts and awareness to avoid blocks and make plays in close quarters. Possesses excellent lateral agility and acceleration which gives him the ability to close quickly on the ball. Is a tenacious defender with strong, active hands to rip the ball away. Excellent ball skills. Minimizes his natural height disadvantage by timing his leap well in jump-ball situations and competing throughout the catch process, ripping away at the ball as he and the intended receiver are descending. Naturally plucks the ball out of the air and secures it quickly. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder. Quick feet, fluid hips and a legitimate second gear make him very effective in coverage, especially on shorter routes. Dynamic returner with a flair for the dramatic. Has demonstrated the ability to play well on the big stage against elite competition.

Negatives: Lacks ideal height for the position and is quicker than he is fast, making him susceptible on longer throws. Highly aggressive and will bite on underneath routes. Possesses the suddenness to make up for a miss-step but does not have the elite straight-line speed to recover against a well-executed double-move and accurate pass. Trusts his instincts too much and can put his teammates in difficult positions by drifting to where he anticipates the quarterback will be going with the football. As such, cerebral NFL quarterbacks will be able to manipulate him with their eyes and potentially beat him over the top with accurate deep passes. Has a well-documented history of poor decisions off the field that could result in even more struggles given the money and notoriety he'll receive as an NFL player.

Compares To: Antoine Winfield, CB, Minnesota Vikings -- Like the 5-09, 180 pound Winfield, Mathieu has Pro Bowl potential due to his tenacity, instincts and physicality.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig

Last edited by love2theOLINE on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:54 am; edited 3 times in total
Louisianajagfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm being a state homer but oh well. Good pick by the Cards u guys have the Louisiana connection at cornerback now!
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrible pick.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he needed to go to the right place.
he can stay with pp and stay in check.

good pick
i wanted him in sf to man our slot and return

new sig... sorry alex
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - I still have no idea who rushes the passer for us.
2 - I still don't know how you use Mathieu within the scheme of the defense.
shawn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won my sig bet against champ Twisted Evil

Crying or Very sad

sig made by mike23md
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pick is you either love it or you hate it. I absolutely love it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:
While he may have his faults, I'd give him PLUS grades in tackling, instincts in zone coverage, and return ability. You said it yourself Bowles will play a lot of DBs on the field. I think Mathieu will fit right in.

Apparently he's dating the step-daughter of Todd Bowles??? IMO, if there's any situation that can get the most out of Mathieu, it's this one.

His tackling is average, not great not bad. His ability in zone coverage is good, but that then plays away from the strengths of Patrick Peterson is we are going to run zone heavy sub packages.

Do we line him up at safety or corner?

I disagree on his tackling. I think he's a very good tackler. He wraps up really well and most importantly, the guy knows how to strip the football. I think he'll be fine in whatever coverage we run.

Just wondering but what is your biggest concern with Mathieu? Is it his drug history? Or his schematic fit?
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial reaction was hyperbole. I still don't like it, but we are going to have to do a lot of different things with this kid to get the best out of him. He is going to need to work his rear end off to do well.

I just worry about him falling back into old habits as soon as he gets some money.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
1 - I still have no idea who rushes the passer for us.
2 - I still don't know how you use Mathieu within the scheme of the defense.

Was there a pass rusher on board that you would have preferred? If so, we might still be able to get him in the 4th. Many of us complained about taking Williams and Housler instead of a pass rusher and then Acho fell right into our laps.

I don't think Mathieu is so scheme-restricted as you make him out to be. That's just how LSU played him.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
My initial reaction was hyperbole. I still don't like it, but we are going to have to do a lot of different things with this kid to get the best out of him. He is going to need to work his rear end off to do well.

I just worry about him falling back into old habits as soon as he gets some money.

But a guy that could be moved all around the field could be a good thing, No? We can move him all over the field. I think that's an asset not a setback.

I worry about it too but he seems genuine about it. He mentioned he might have a clause in his contract where he'll have to take weekly drug tests. That's a pretty strong incentive not to smoke marijuana.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who complained about Housler. I ran about the house signing and telling you I told you so.

Obviously I like the value of Moore in 3. Lemonier is there, Trevardo Williams.

As for moving a guy around, it is a help and a hindrance. You almost have to build a defensive scheme around him. And that is not something that I want to have to do on a defense.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:

Did he say there are clauses in his contract about staying clean? Not sure if it was that or he's just reiterating that with money comes responsibility.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
shawn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am more than happy to have the honey badger. I was hoping to take him in round four, but either way, I like what he brings to the table.

sig made by mike23md
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
khodder wrote:

Did he say there are clauses in his contract about staying clean? Not sure if it was that or he's just reiterating that with money comes responsibility.

He is saying AZ can put whatever they like into contract.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: