Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

91st Overall: Patriots select Duron Harmon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Not sure if this was posted and didn't feel like wading through the 8 pages of rage but:

Quote:
The safety group had some nice upside as well. The most impressive of the safeties was Rutgers’ Duron Harmon. He was easily the best athlete at the position and his breaking ability and fluid hips were very impressive. He came in at 6-0 and 198 pounds and shows very good feet and explosiveness. On one play during team he sprinted from the opposite hash to cover a drag route and came close to intercepting a pass thrown out in front of the receiver. On another short hand off play he came flying up from about 12 yards deep to stick the running back at the line of scrimmage. He definitely plays faster than his estimated 4.6 speed.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2013-nflpa-collegiate-bowl-scouting-recap.html

Quote:
Duron Harmon, SS, Rutgers - Scouts consider Harmon the best athlete at his position in this bowl game. There has been estimated 40 times for him around the 4.6 range, which is really slow. But scouts called him the most explosive defensive back at the NFLPA bowl, with great instincts. He plays faster than his “estimated” time.

http://proplayerinsiders.com/nflpa-bowl-players-that-could-be-on-the-washington-redskins-radar/

Interesting. I will say, since the pick I have found out mostly good things about him.

Sigs-Taking Requests
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he a Scientologist by any chance?

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we revisit this thread in 3 years and laugh at ourselves when this kid is the best player from our draft class? Laughing

All "reports" are, that he's a great kid, does everything the way you should, but it'll still come down to how good of a football player he can be when he's opposing Peyton Manning and Ben Rothelisberger lead offences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:
Can we revisit this thread in 3 years and laugh at ourselves when this kid is the best player from our draft class? Laughing

All "reports" are, that he's a great kid, does everything the way you should, but it'll still come down to how good of a football player he can be when he's opposing Peyton Manning and Ben Rothelisberger lead offences.

Im really starting to come around to him. He is very athletic and was the field general for Rutgers defense, making him both smart with a high enough football IQ to read offenses and call out defenses and a leader on the field, possible future captain. With all the safeties over him, he will most likely ride the bench early where BB can teach him and with all the physical tools maybe he can be molded.

I mean, this are large ifs and somewhat of a stretch, but what BB might see is not flashes of his potential on tape, but all the tools and attributes that he can mold into his type of safety.

Sigs-Taking Requests
Richter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:
Can we revisit this thread in 3 years and laugh at ourselves when this kid is the best player from our draft class? :lol:

Bwaah? I actually care more about when he's facing a good QB on an actual playoff team.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Greg Cosell ‏@gregcosell

Based on my film study really liked Pats picks WR Dobson and S Harmon. Harmon smart with excellent play recognition + awareness.

https://twitter.com/gregcosell/status/328156518069440512

Quote:
Rutgers S Duron Harmon: I kept seeing flashes of Harmon while studying tape of Scarlet Knights prospects Khaseem Greene and Logan Ryan, and Harmon (6-foot, 198) looked very good when I saw him in person against Pittsburgh and at the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl.

The first thing that jumped out was that he has more range than I initially thought. Harmon shows good eyes in coverage, takes quality angles to the point and closes in a hurry on tape. He also loves to hit and brings a physical element versus the run. Harmon painted a picture of what he could become against Arkansas last season, making his presence felt early and consistently getting around the ball.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog/_/name/nfl_draft/id/9040938/2013-nfl-draft-defensive-back-class-loaded-sleepers

Not a bad read:

http://davebreaksdownfilm.blogspot.com/2013/04/on-safeties-draft-surprises-and-duron.html
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@Rich_T_Hill: That said, while Chung was -always- a step late, Harmon made the hit with a chance to disengage over 50% of the time.

@Rich_T_Hill: Hard to ignore Harmon in the background of those cut-ups since he's shadowing Ryan on almost every sideline throw.

@Rich_T_Hill: Harmon reminds be Chung in when he's covering centerfield and covers the deep sideline route, he can be a step too late.

@Rich_T_Hill: Patriots have searched for safeties that can play every role (SS/FS/NCB). Harmon's that guy. Gives them defensive flexibility vs hurry-up.

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD

Last edited by I_GET_SAX on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all begs the question of whether Harmon was on anyone else's radar. If he looked so good on film and had solid measurables, why was he still projected as a 6th-7th rounder?

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Canadian_Patriot wrote:

Bwaah? I actually care more about when he's facing a good QB on an actual playoff team.

Just threw them out there as examples of established super bowl winner calibre quarterbacks in the AFC. Didn't mean to insinuate that they were the leagues best offenses, Just prominent examples.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:
Richter wrote:
Canadian_Patriot wrote:
Can we revisit this thread in 3 years and laugh at ourselves when this kid is the best player from our draft class? :lol:

Just threw them out there as examples of established super bowl winner calibre quarterbacks in the AFC. Didn't mean to insinuate that they were the leagues best offenses, Just prominent examples.

I'll accept Peyton Manning in this argument, but Roethlisberger is just like Terry Bradshaw - an okay quarterback that played on some dominant/hot teams. I don't think anyone stays up at night, fearing Ben Roethlisberger. Well, as a quarterback, anyway.
patsfan06

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
This all begs the question of whether Harmon was on anyone else's radar. If he looked so good on film and had solid measurables, why was he still projected as a 6th-7th rounder?

I think the answer here is because Belichick is always a step ahead of everyone else.

Also, why are there ever some players taken in the 3rd-5th rounds that end up better than some 1st-2nd rounders? Because scouting and drafting isn't a perfect science.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:

One explanation could be that this safety class is deeper than the last several years. Had Harmon been in the last draft class, he'd have gotten more exposure.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan06 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

I think the answer here is because Belichick is always a step ahead of everyone else.

Also, why are there ever some players taken in the 3rd-5th rounds that end up better than some 1st-2nd rounders? Because scouting and drafting isn't a perfect science.

He may have been on some teams radar. I believe it was Mayock who said he didn't know about Harmon until shortly before the draft when he was talking to a team official, causing him to bump Harmon up from UDFA to 6th or 7th. I dont know which team Mayock talked to, or how high the team was on Harmon, but I would not be shocked if they were higher than sixth or seventh. The draftnicks are not able to scout as teams like Rutgers (7 players drafted) as heavily the teams can.
Donut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:

From what I saw he is inconsistent. He has moments where his hips looked stiff and he'd fall trying to change direction and in same game later he'll make the play.
Also the scouts like McShay Mayock, Kiper and other draftniks can't talked to these guys. We don't know about his intangibles as leader, work ethic etc... for guys like Slater or Duron. In this weak class Belichick probably had him as a 4th rounder(we were trying to trade down) and his intangibles and upside probably put him as a 4th rounder.
_Oypus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan06 wrote:

Careful not to get too carried aw....oh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: