Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2nd Round (61): Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reports out of Pittsburgh were that the Steelers passed on Lacy because he had undergone "fusion" surgery on his big toe. Anybody have any understanding of what toe fusion surgery entails, and how it affects him as a player (either long or short term)?
Atari-XXX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with the pick. I wanted us to have a physical RB (the reason I wanted to see Ivory here) and now we have one. Geting him in the 2nd Round was great value.

I don't agree at all with what McGinn wrote in his article. TT expected that Lacey would still be there, even after he traded down. If not he still had Ball or Michael to chose from. The only team that was a threat to draft a RB were the Broncos. TT would never "reluctantly" draft a player.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Reports out of Pittsburgh were that the Steelers passed on Lacy because he had undergone "fusion" surgery on his big toe. Anybody have any understanding of what toe fusion surgery entails, and how it affects him as a player (either long or short term)?

Apparently, it's generally used for arthritis.

http://www.londonfootandanklecentre.co.uk/surgery/bigtoe_fusion.php

"Fusion does result in stiffness within the big toe joint and limits shoe choice to some extent. Therefore it is only considered if arthritis is advanced and has caused extensive damage to the joint. Big toe fusion is also undertaken for some bunions and if the big toe joint is floppy, weak or painful, usually as a result of previous surgery.

The stiffness in the big toe joint can change the way you walk, but most people find this does not cause any problems and are able to resume their normal activities. You will not be able to wear a heel of more than one inch after big toe fusion surgery. Some people require orthotic devices or shoes with a special ‘rocker’ bottom to help push the foot forward.

For most, accommodating these changes is worthwhile as the main goal is to eradicate pain. However it is important to consider these factors when thinking about fusion surgery."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CallMeBarrett wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:

Apparently, it's generally used for arthritis.

http://www.londonfootandanklecentre.co.uk/surgery/bigtoe_fusion.php

"Fusion does result in stiffness within the big toe joint and limits shoe choice to some extent. Therefore it is only considered if arthritis is advanced and has caused extensive damage to the joint. Big toe fusion is also undertaken for some bunions and if the big toe joint is floppy, weak or painful, usually as a result of previous surgery.

The stiffness in the big toe joint can change the way you walk, but most people find this does not cause any problems and are able to resume their normal activities. You will not be able to wear a heel of more than one inch after big toe fusion surgery. Some people require orthotic devices or shoes with a special ‘rocker’ bottom to help push the foot forward.

For most, accommodating these changes is worthwhile as the main goal is to eradicate pain. However it is important to consider these factors when thinking about fusion surgery."

no more cross-dressing for Lacy.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the Steelers have an issue with a toe fusion, but are cool with drafting guys with spinal stenosis (jarvis jones)? I take it they are drawing heat for taking Bell over Lacy ... that would explain their need to start dishing details on Lacy's medical history.
mission

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Family Ghost} wrote:
So, the Steelers have an issue with a toe fusion, but are cool with drafting guys with spinal stenosis (jarvis jones)? I take it they are drawing heat for taking Bell over Lacy ... that would explain their need to start dishing details on Lacy's medical history.

That's exactly what it is.
McThreadski

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:

no more cross-dressing for Lacy.

Probably why Pittsburgh really passed on him. I never really know with those guys, but it makes sense now that we see the details of the surgery... Laughing
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Family Ghost} wrote:

I'm not going to get into this much. But just want to say that Jones stenosis was low in his back. Many, MANY players have played with this issue over the years and every team in the league gave him a green light on medical. Stenosis is an issue when it's in the upper back and neck area. Only reason why this even came to light is because of the USC thing. Few others that got drafted in this class pulled the same card in their combine medical. Far more common than one might think.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he can stay healthy (the opening sentence of every Packers' player description), then I can't wait to see this guy running in December. Perfect cold weather back.

ajdodge09

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csraverage wrote:
If he can stay healthy (the opening sentence of every Packers' player description), then I can't wait to see this guy running in December. Perfect cold weather back.

I'm a little worried about this actually. Seems like he always had some minor nagging injury at Alabama. With his running style he's certainly going to get his share of knicks and bruises. I think that's why we took Franklin too, as insurance for Lacy if he were to go down. Frankly (ha), I'd be surprised if he played all 16 games. I suspect he'll miss a few here and there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a steal getting Lacy at this pick. I still think in the long run though that Franklin will be our biggest threat and most dependable back when its all said and done.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure each cat is different, but here are the last 9 years of 2nd and 3rd round RBs. Maybe this will help guide expectations for what to expect out of Lacy. Plenty of possible career paths!

50 Isiah Pead
61 LaMichael James
67 Ronnie Hillman
84 Bernard Pierce
38 ryan williams
56 shane vereen
57 mikel leshoure
62 daniel thomas
71 demarco murray
73 stevan ridley
96 alex green
35 dexter mccluster
51 toby gerhart
58 ben tate
59 montario hardesty
53 lesean mccoy
65 shonn greene
74 glen coffee
44 matt forte
55 ray rice
64 kevin smith
73 jamal charles
89 steve slaton
49 kenny irons
50 chris henry
63 brandon jackson
71 lorenzo booker
90 tony hunt
92 garrett wolfe
45 lendale white
60 maurice jones-drew
74 brian calhoun
79 jerious norwood
44 jj arrington
54 eric shelton
65 frank gore
73 vernon morency
77 ryan moats
101 maurice clarett
41 tatum bell
43 julius jones

Last edited by xDD80x on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
incognito_man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm, didn't check the others - but david wilson was a 1st round pick (32).
xDD80x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistranscribe from my wikipedia research

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mission wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:

That's exactly what it is.

...how classy...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: