Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers Select TE Vance McDonald at #55
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
It may seem like only a nit, but let's remember the guy is also a long snapper. We've got the best in the business. But he can't last forever, and it sure would be nice not to have to tie about a game-day, active spot for a guy who does nothing but that.

How many LS in the NFL also contribute at another position? I'm just curious. I can't think of any.

Long snapping is a very important responsibility. Would you entrust that responsibility to someone who plays 20-30 snaps a game, beside special teams, and risk injuries? We certainly didn't draft Vance to be a LS primarily. He has to produce at TE. He will have to take on defenders bigger than him, he will have to be tackled. It's just way too risky to have our LS do all that.

Anyways, on any given week, on every roster, there are several players playing nothing but special team snaps. Why not let the LS be one of those? We've roughly played 16-17 players on defense all year. Roughly 16-17 players on offense. That leaves 19-21 roster spots for players who will play minor roles. There's truly no point in trying to save a roster spot there. We can definitely cut our 13th defensive back before we cut our LS. And by that, I mean... let's cut Tramaine Brock already.

Hey Jennigs is llisted on the roster as a TE. My point was that if McDonald turns out to be an utter flop as a TE, maybe he can be a future LS. Not an overly serious suggesstion. And of course I'm expecting him to be better than Delanie so a moot point anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
It may seem like only a nit, but let's remember the guy is also a long snapper. We've got the best in the business. But he can't last forever, and it sure would be nice not to have to tie about a game-day, active spot for a guy who does nothing but that.

How many LS in the NFL also contribute at another position? I'm just curious. I can't think of any.

Long snapping is a very important responsibility. Would you entrust that responsibility to someone who plays 20-30 snaps a game, beside special teams, and risk injuries? We certainly didn't draft Vance to be a LS primarily. He has to produce at TE. He will have to take on defenders bigger than him, he will have to be tackled. It's just way too risky to have our LS do all that.

Anyways, on any given week, on every roster, there are several players playing nothing but special team snaps. Why not let the LS be one of those? We've roughly played 16-17 players on defense all year. Roughly 16-17 players on offense. That leaves 19-21 roster spots for players who will play minor roles. There's truly no point in trying to save a roster spot there. We can definitely cut our 13th defensive back before we cut our LS. And by that, I mean... let's cut Tramaine Brock already.

Hey Jennigs is llisted on the roster as a TE. My point was that if McDonald turns out to be an utter flop as a TE, maybe he can be a future LS. Not an overly serious suggesstion. And of course I'm expecting him to be better than Delanie so a moot point anyway.

Oh, alright. Sure, if he flops, we should explore that, no issue there. If there's one thing we know, it's that Jim likes bringing competition at long snapper every year.

As for Jennings being listed at TE... that's a technicality with the league. There is no number category for long snappers, unless I'm wrong. There has been long snappers with DL numbers, with LB numbers, with OL numbers and, with Jennings, TE numbers. It all depends on what position the players signed as. There might simply not even be a LS designation in the CBA.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Vance will flop... he just may not be a special player... probably won't be. Between he and Celek, we'll have a couple of decent yet unspectacular TE backups. I can live with that. Just have to hope VD stays healthy... because I don't see Celek or McD scaring defenses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Harbaugh: "When Vance McDonald gets here, Im going to try to get him in the No. 89. What I have come to know of Iron Mike Ditka and the respect I have for him through the years, I cant wait for coach Ditka to see Vance McDonald because I believe hes going to see some very good similarities."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/04/27/harbaugh-tells-nfl-network-that-rb-lattimore-may-not-play-this-year/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres his combine workout
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap2000000152688/2013-Combine-workout-Vance-McDonald

been looking for it. shows him run the gauntlet and a couple routes

new sig... sorry alex
RedWhiteNGold

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
heres his combine workout
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap2000000152688/2013-Combine-workout-Vance-McDonald

been looking for it. shows him run the gauntlet and a couple routes

His hands worry me
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're Definitely not his strong suit. That's why I wanted to watch te gauntlet drill, you can see a lot about the way a person does there.

Hopefully he can improve there on the jugs (on high). Jim seems to love him. And we stole him from the hawks, so that also makes it better

new sig... sorry alex
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
They're Definitely not his strong suit. That's why I wanted to watch te gauntlet drill, you can see a lot about the way a person does there.

Hopefully he can improve there on the jugs (on high). Jim seems to love him. And we stole him from the hawks, so that also makes it better

Yes! It seemed as soon as the 'Hawks saw our trade up, they traded down. They probably knew who we were taking if we vaulted ahead of them. Laughing
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could rename our 2TE sets the "Double V" or "VV" formation. Vance and Vernon could be a dual V threat to score...

This should be a fun season!
Ronnie's Pinky

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Gil Brandt really likes Vance, and the 49ers draft class, in general.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/05/02/gil-brandt-i-love-vance-mcdonald/

Quote:
I love Vance McDonald, said Brandt, an analyst for NFL.com. This is an excellent athlete. Hes big, and hes fast and I thought he was the second-best tight end out there.

Hell be able to do all the things Walker did for them, Brandt said. Im excited to watch him develop.

When he was first asked about McDonald on Friday, Baalke ticked off four qualities he prized in the second-round pick: versatility, size, wingspan and hand size.

I reached out to Brandt for an upcoming feature story on 49ers undrafted free-agent defensive lineman Lawrence Okoye, but, without prompting, he brought up the 49ers draft ("They did a marvelous job, he said.)

His favorite picks, besides McDonald: LSU safety Eric Reid (first round), Carradine and South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore (fourth round).

I think hes a guy that has star quality written all over him, Brandt said of Lattimore. Im not a doctor, but I dont think hell be able to play this year. Hes a guy that can come in and learn and hes going to be like a first-round pick next year.

Interesting. Gil Brandt is a sharp guy. Nice to hear his praise.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
Apparently Gil Brandt really likes Vance, and the 49ers draft class, in general.

Quote:
I love Vance McDonald, said Brandt, an analyst for NFL.com. This is an excellent athlete. Hes big, and hes fast and I thought he was the second-best tight end out there.

Hell be able to do all the things Walker did for them, Brandt said. Im excited to watch him develop.

When he was first asked about McDonald on Friday, Baalke ticked off four qualities he prized in the second-round pick: versatility, size, wingspan and hand size.

I reached out to Brandt for an upcoming feature story on 49ers undrafted free-agent defensive lineman Lawrence Okoye, but, without prompting, he brought up the 49ers draft ("They did a marvelous job, he said.)

His favorite picks, besides McDonald: LSU safety Eric Reid (first round), Carradine and South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore (fourth round).

I think hes a guy that has star quality written all over him, Brandt said of Lattimore. Im not a doctor, but I dont think hell be able to play this year. Hes a guy that can come in and learn and hes going to be like a first-round pick next year.

Yeah. Gil knows what he's talking about. So gllad to hear him say he thhinks McDonald was the second best TE in the draft.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me likey Vance McDonald! Me likey lots. I'll look forward to seeing him on the field. Let's see how quickly he makes us forget Walker. We may see people post "Walker would not have caught that one!"...I'm hoping!
Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Ronnie's Pinky wrote:

Quote:

Yeah. Gil knows what he's talking about. So gllad to hear him say he thhinks McDonald was the second best TE in the draft.

Thats funny. I know alot of people didn't like the pick, but he was my second favorite TE in the draft as well. Of course, my favorite TE went to KC at the top of the third.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody had their favorites, but I'm okay with McD being the choice. I didn't really think much of Walker, so I am not worried about McD filling in well for him. Will he be special? or able to be a #1 dangerous TE if Davis is injured? eh... that, not at all sure of. (which is why I wanted Kelce there) .. but hey, I'm fine with giving him every chance to win me over as being that good.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Everybody had their favorites, but I'm okay with McD being the choice. I didn't really think much of Walker, so I am not worried about McD filling in well for him. Will he be special? or able to be a #1 dangerous TE if Davis is injured? eh... that, not at all sure of. (which is why I wanted Kelce there) .. but hey, I'm fine with giving him every chance to win me over as being that good.

It might be that Kelce's one year suspension for a drug offense kept him off the gold helment list. I don't believe there were any similar character issues with McDonald. Regardless, McDonald's measurables surpass Kelce's and give him a higher ceiling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: