Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears select LB Jon Bostic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Body type wise this Bostic is a carbon copy of Lance Briggs…just hope he plays like it lol…for me he is a B grade pick.

NFL.com lists his comparable player as Andra Davis, also a Florida Gator, who was a solid starting NFL MLB for almost 10 years mostly with Cleveland. If he has an Andra Davis career for us I'll be very pleased.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Body type wise this Bostic is a carbon copy of Lance Briggs…just hope he plays like it lol…for me he is a B grade pick.

NFL.com lists his comparable player as Andra Davis, also a Florida Gator, who was a solid starting NFL MLB for almost 10 years mostly with Cleveland. If he has an Andra Davis career for us I'll be very pleased.

Best comparison I have seen was with David Hawthorne…same kind of size and athletic ability…if we get Seattle Hawthorne we have ourselves a real player.
RidiculousJames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emery taking a press conference about him now. Says there were three reasons why they took him from all of the LBs on the board:
- He has very good football intelligence
- Extremely athletic and very fast
- Positional flexibility (believes he can play Will, Mike and Sam)

Also thinks he will start out at Mike.
2014 Adopt-a-Bear: FS #45 Brock Vereen
Tackles: 0 || Interceptions: 0 || Forced Fumbles: 0
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this pick. Good player. He's the LB I assumed Emery would like.
mikee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Jamar Taylor as the best player available and he would have filled a need as well. Would have prefered that pick. But I can live with Bostic. I liked Brown a little more than Bostic, but Brown might be best suited to WLB, with a chance to play MLB. Bostic has better measurables for the middle, and can also play SLB or WLB if needed.
RidiculousJames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emery also said that Bostic was their #1 ranked MLB on that athletic ranking system they use, the same one that they had Long ranked at #1 for in terms of guards. Emery absolutely loves athleticism.
2014 Adopt-a-Bear: FS #45 Brock Vereen
Tackles: 0 || Interceptions: 0 || Forced Fumbles: 0
CBears019

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this pick a lot. Makes me feel better after last night's pick.

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
bkokot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RidiculousJames wrote:
Emery also said that Bostic was their #1 ranked MLB on that athletic ranking system they use, the same one that they had Long ranked at #1 for in terms of guards. Emery absolutely loves athleticism.

I guess the logic is, you can teach a player a new system, you can coach them up, but it's damn near impossible to make them more athletic than they already are. They can get stronger (a bit) but you can't make them faster, or more explosive. Technique can be improved more easily.
G08

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkokot wrote:
RidiculousJames wrote:

I guess the logic is, you can teach a player a new system, you can coach them up, but it's damn near impossible to make them more athletic than they already are. They can get stronger (a bit) but you can't make them faster, or more explosive. Technique can be improved more easily.

Very sound logic.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bears select LB Jon Bostic Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Some people on here wanted him and Brown continues to fall.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89499&draftyear=2013&genpos=ILB

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_scouting_reports.html&position=ilb

Good Baby Bear pick, not too high nor too low but just right.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New picture that Biggs posted

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
BearsDen1-99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the pick, i think he can turn out good if he works hard and wants to learn!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching some games of him on YouTube, I love this pick more and more. Athletic, fast, and man can he take on a block.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In researching this pick I figured out why the NFL draft is an inexact science....

From ESPN:
Strengths...Because of his loose hips, Bostic is an ideal fit in a Tampa-2 system because of his ability to turn and run in pass coverage.

(Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4683414/rapid-reaction-second-round-pick-jon-bostic)

From SI:
WEAKNESSES...Being tight in the hips hinders his ability to adjust quickly when receiver crosses his face.

(Source: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_scouting_reports.html&position=ilb)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ta wrote:
In researching this pick I figured out why the NFL draft is an inexact science....

From ESPN:
Strengths...Because of his loose hips, Bostic is an ideal fit in a Tampa-2 system because of his ability to turn and run in pass coverage.

(Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4683414/rapid-reaction-second-round-pick-jon-bostic)

From SI:
WEAKNESSES...Being tight in the hips hinders his ability to adjust quickly when receiver crosses his face.

(Source: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_scouting_reports.html&position=ilb)

My take on this is scouts sometimes get hung up on talking about a players “hips” and the ability to backpedal…flip your hips…plant…COD…then run to the ball…the thing is that isn’t all about your hips…a lot of that comes down to footwork, balance and technique…I would compare him to Major Wright coming out of Florida when he also ran faster at the combine than anyone was expecting…because he ran fast the term “straight line speed” was branded around alot but some didn’t think he could flip his hips in coverage well enough…early in his career those scouts were correct and Wright wasn’t great at opening his hips, COD and running coming out of a backpedal…now tho he is one of the better cover SS in the NFL…he didn’t get a new set of hips…he just got coached up on how us use his feet & technique better to break out of his backpedal…I don’t think Bostic is a readymade three down LB as of right now…but with the right coaching he does have the athletic ability to get deep down the seam…not Urlacher deep…but deep enough to run the scheme effectively.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: