Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

with the #45 pick the Arizona Cardinals select Kevin Minter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: with the #45 pick the Arizona Cardinals select Kevin Minter Reply with quote

With the 45th pick in the NFL draft the Arizona Cardinals select Kevin Minter, LB LSU.

This is an interesting pick as the Cards signed Jasper Brinkely and Lorenzo Alexander in the off season. But with Daryl Washington serving a 4 game suspension he might get a chance at seeing some serious play time. It will be nice to see him and Washington, once reinstated covering sideline to sideline.

This will be interesting when you talk about the future of the Cardinals defense.

Quote:

"Darryl Washington's got a four-game suspension. It's a natural need for Arizona. Kevin Minter for me is a solid player with a passion for the game, and you can't change his height. He's a short inside linebacker. He's going to get beat up down the seam a little bit by tight ends in the pass game, but if you want to talk about a two-down thumper that understands the run game and is a secure tackler, that's who he is." -- Mike Mayock

Strengths
Attacks blocks with extension and hand use. Very good feel in trash, subtle moves to weave through bodies and recognize run, gets to the ball carrier before teammates despite starting from the opposite side of the formation. not afraid to make contact with lead blocker between the tackles, keeps outside arm free to scrape off to running back. Takes very good angles and lines. Stops momentum of blockers, rolls into them with an anchor to not lose ground. Finishes off tackles very well. Fights as a blitzer, good motor, attempts to run through or get around contact. Sniffs out screens. When the play is visibly in from of him, the click and close can happen very quickly. Looks very comfortable when using hands to work through blockers. Has just enough speed to undercut blocks and make tackles for loss. Remained on the field in nickel packages.
Weaknesses
Occasionally overruns misdirection and draw plays, gives up inside shoulder. Lacks desirable range in coverage because of lost ground when forced to open up hips, turn, and run. Fast enough in a straight line, but lateral speed may be a question. Despite good angles, likely won't win a foot race to the edge. Too flat footed on play action and misdirection, but at least that prohibits wasted steps. Does not show the quickness to get to screen as or soon after the ball arrives despite seeing it early on. Sees pass and reacts to it in coverage, but doesn't move any sooner.

STRENGTHS: Cerebral defender. Shows very good anticipatory skills to project where the ball is going, demonstrating the burst and agility to beat offensive linemen to the ball. Shows good effort to slip blocks, demonstrating a quick swim move and hand-slap to shake free, as well as a spin move.

Aggressive and shows little regard for his own body, jumping into the pile. Isn't often a textbook hitter but consistently gets his man to the ground in the open field, showing good upper body strength for the drag down tackle. Uses his hands well to strip away at the ball as he is making the tackle.

Times the snap well as a blitzer and closes quickly. Reads the quarterback's eyes nicely when in pass coverage and has a feel for what is happening around him. Enough lateral agility and speed to cover backs. Passionate player with a high-revving motor.

WEAKNESSES:
Isn't the physical thumper that some teams prefer in the middle and may lack the sheer athleticism to handle the switch outside vs. NFL speed. Prefers to elude or spin away from blockers rather than physically taking them on and shedding and when he is locked up, Minter struggles to get free.

Wraps his arms around runners' legs for the sure stop but isn't a consistently explosive hitter who'll strike fear into ball-carriers. Has been surrounded by an awful lot of speed in Baton Rouge and does not appear to have elite speed, himself. Can be beaten to the sideline and relies on angles, vision and effort, rather than speed to track down ball-carriers when in pursuit.

COMPARES TO: DeMeco Ryans, MLB, Philadelphia Eagles -- Like Ryans, Minter is slightly undersized and relies on his instincts and reliable tackling ability -- rather than sheer explosiveness -- to accumulate impressive stat-lines.

Welcome to the Desert Mr. Minter

Re-Elect Joe Fitzgibbon class act for proper representation.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig

Last edited by love2theOLINE on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this pick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very glad with the pick. Him and Washington will look good at ILB.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minter is another guy that should be able to come in and contribute right away. I wouldn't surprise me if he was starting Week 1 while D-Wash is out.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demeco Ryans is a very good comparison.

This kind of ruins my hopes to get Michael Mauti but oh well.

There are a ton of ILBs going in the 2nd round (Te'o, Minter, Alonso, Bostic). I hope ours turns out to be the best because we could have had any of them.

EDIT:
His game against Florida should get Cardinals fans pretty pumped. 20 tackles, 17 solo, and 2 sacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybIpxUVefo
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pick with Minter, guys! I really wanted him at 46. Missed it by this much! Laughing Hopefully Kiko can ball at a decent level, too.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had Kiko in for a visit, must have been plan b for us
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
We had Kiko in for a visit, must have been plan b for us

We brought him in too. I just hope Kiko's done making stupid off-field decisions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish he was a couple inches taller, but he's a great player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:
I wish he was a couple inches taller, but he's a great player

Eh his height doesn't bother me at all. I could endlessly list good to great LBs who were 6'1" or shorter.

London Fletcher
Zach Thomas
Demeco Ryans
Larry Foote
Jerrell Freeman
Jon Beason
D'Qwell Jackson
Rey Lewis
Navarro Bowman
Patrick Willis
Curtis Loften (This is who Keim compared him to btw)
Chg91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not crazy about having two ILBs on the smaller side (though it hasn't been as much of an issue for Washington as some thought it would be), but there's no denying he's a football player.

Hopefully he doesn't get washed out by NFL linemen too much.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing behind the front we have, should be fine

Upgrade on Lenon and can pair with DW for the next 5 years or so.

Lovely.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curtis Lofton like two down linebacker who should form a nice pairing with Washington that may soon resemble the duo of Farrior and Simmons during their heydays in Pittsburgh. Good pick!

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: