Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers Select DE/OLB Tank Carradine at #40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Oh, and back to absent accent on the first e... in such a circumstance, a slight accentuation would be implied. We would only pronounce it "luh-mo-nyay" if the name came from two seperate words, "le" and "monier". In this case, the root seems to be "lemon" (which is still not a french word, in french, "lemon" is "citron"), in which case the e is often attached to the m to produce a slightly accentuated sound. So it should definitely be "lem-o-nyay", if you're willing to accept my 30 years of french language expertise.

Yeah, I was assuming that is was a compound name coming from le and monier (though I have no idea what the hell a monier is supposed to be), which would imply the normal pronunciation of the "le" article. If that is not the case, then it should obviously be pronounced along the lines you have suggested, with more of a "leh" in the first syllable. As it is with so many French words, the line between two syllables is often hard to draw - in this case the 2nd and 3rd bleed into one another with a little "ny" linking sound. "monier" is not really properly seperable into separate consonants, but for English speakers, we have to come up with some approximation.

I am theoretically a French speaker, myself, or at least my mother would like to think so, though in truth, I haven't spoken the language regularly since I was a kid. At any rate, "Lemon...wah" is nothing less than an abomination, but I don't care if he can get to the quarterback.

We should find him a nickname and leak it to the media, and insist on it until it replaces his actual name.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Ronnie's Pinky

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
We should find him a nickname and leak it to the media, and insist on it until it replaces his actual name.

My money's on "lemonade", which is spite of being a silly nickname, is still closer to the proper pronunciation of his name that the way he actually says it. Either that, or we should just start writing his name Lemonoir (which sounds like a Franglish portmanteau meaning black lemon...lol) until he gets things sorted. Who knows? Maybe the name was Lemonoir is the past, and the spelling got bastardized at some point? It is impossible to know with north american names, especially when they've gone through the blender that is cajun country.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
49ers DE Tank Carradine says he's up to 295 pounds.

Carradine, who missed his entire rookie season as he recovered from a torn ACL, weighed in at 276 at last year's Combine. As Rotoworld's Josh Norris points out, it could be an indication he's being groomed for a Justin Smith-type role. With Smith still going strong, however, Carradine should begin 2014 as a situational pass rusher.

roto

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, no longer an candidate to be a 3-4 OLB. I hope he is still a disruptive pass rusher even at that size.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Quote:

Carradine, who missed his entire rookie season as he recovered from a torn ACL, weighed in at 276 at last year's Combine. As Rotoworld's Josh Norris points out, it could be an indication he's being groomed for a Justin Smith-type role. With Smith still going strong, however, Carradine should begin 2014 as a situational pass rusher.

roto

Sounds great. I think he could have played either. But I like him at de which is what we drafted him for. We will get some greater pressure from our base with him in. And glad he's put on the weight and muscle. If he can handle the run game. This could be great

new sig... sorry alex
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
Baalke always goes biggest need in first round. .

I wonder when people will ever finally accept that every team tries to fill their needs in the draft and that therefore the majority of picks, by every team in every round, goes to filling their needs at the time they are picking. Highest needs early in the draft; lesser needs later.

It is a rare, rare event when a team sees a guy at a position they have absolutely no need for but take him anyway because he is just so clearly better than anyone left in the draft. If there was such a guy they might well try to trade that pick to someone desperate for that position so that they could pick up extra picks to fill the needs they do have. No one is ever "clearly" better than everyone else left, except maybe for the first few picks. So there never is a "best player" available, only a set of "best playerS" from whom you might find one that fits a need. Or, like us at 34, you might have a few rated equally highly and be willing to take any of them and so can afford to trade back a bit.

If it weren't for teams trying to fill their needs mock drafts wouldn't exist since there would then only be player rankings with teams always taking the guy at the top of the list.

What? You mean to say that the actual execution of "BPA" is rare? Are you saying "BPA" is largely a myth(at least in the higher rounds)?!
I kid, but truly, "BPA" is a luxury and I think the only time it was truly evident in this draft was with Lattimore.

It's not so much that BPA is a myth; moreso that we have to consider that there are 400+ prospects; the grades people teams have for first round picks are all going to fall in line pretty closely, and the same can be said for the other rounds. So when you have a guy on your board who's number 1, say he's rated at something like an 8.8 (just using an arbitrary 10 point scale for grading purposes - sorry if it sounds like i'm comparing the draft to Madden lol), and then you have a prospect who's number 8 on your big board, and grades out at an 8.5, but fills a huge need. Why wouldn't you go with the player that fills a need? The difference at that point is pretty minimal. The problem comes when you have a guy available who grades out at an 8.5, but doesn't fill a need, and then you have a guy who grades out at a 7.0 but fills a need, and you take the guy who's a 7.0. I personally feel that's bad drafting and you should go with BPA at that point.

Yes. Exactly. There is no "BPA". There are always a bunch of guys at various positions that it is near impossible to distinguish between. Certainly that is absolutely the case after the first few picks. So if you've got an OT and a DT rated the same, or essentially the same take the position you need more. And except for the first round, maybe only the first half round, there are almost always guys available at your positions of need. The exception is early in the draft where there are clear "groupings" of guys at a position. If there are only 3 really high potential CBs available and you need a CB but those guys are gone when you pick, then don't reach for a guy that is clearly not worthy of that high of a pick. But chances are you have other positional needs and can a guy worth picking at that spot to fill another need even if it is not your biggest need.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
I don't curr how he pronounces it. He will always be LemonEAR to me. It's just flows better... less snooty.

I'll call him Lemon-yay. The spelling looks french, I pronounce it french. That's all.

-waaa makes absolutely no sense, phonetically, no matter what language you're using.

French? You have French speakers in Canada? I hear France is claiming a right to protect French speakers wherever they live. In fact right now they have special forces in Canada paying people to revolt, arming them with state of the art weapons and giving them direction on how to take over ... oh wait, that's another part of the world.

Sorry, but I've had Ukrainian family members who have had to flee their home and their country because a foreign country has invaded. Who'd have thought that would happen - in Europe, in the 21st century?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Quote:

roto

I always expected, and wanted, him to follow the Justin Smith model. Justin was roughly Tanks's size when he was a senior in college and bulked up to be a great DE. As soon as we drafted Tank I saw him as a potential replacement for Justin.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Quote:

roto

I always expected, and wanted, him to follow the Justin Smith model. Justin was roughly Tanks's size when he was a senior in college and bulked up to be a great DE. As soon as we drafted Tank I saw him as a potential replacement for Justin.

Actually, Justin was roughly Tank's size last year when he joined us. I think he played in college at 265, played mostly at 270-275 with the Bengals, and his first year with us, he wasn't that much bigger. He grew to 290 over two offseasons, I think. With Tank rehabbing throughout our entire season, plus this offseason, he's basically had two offseasons end to end, really. Tank already played with the high motor and great strength, so he definitely fits the Justin mold.

I think we're really set at DE for this year. I was perhaps one of the most vocal detractor of TJE last training camp, but he definitely looks like a super back-up, with fringe starting ability right now. I would no longer surprised if he ended up replacing RayMac down the road.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Quote:

roto

Not for sure on what I thought... IIRC, I probably thought we would use him as rush LB rotation and maybe in Nickel situations at the line until he gradually bulked up for DE over time. Then, we selected Lemonier, and it became more clear that Tank was likely headed straight for Tomsula.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Quote:

roto

Not for sure on what I thought... IIRC, I probably thought we would use him as rush LB rotation and maybe in Nickel situations at the line until he gradually bulked up for DE over time. Then, we selected Lemonier, and it became more clear that Tank was likely headed straight for Tomsula.

BLUDGEON!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: