Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers Select DE/OLB Tank Carradine at #40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ just wish we had a good DL coach that could develop Tank quickly. Anxious

p.s. is it possible for the human brain to actually explode from a hangover????

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was ticked when they traded down. I was thinking, "Just make the blinkin' pick already!" But when they did make Tank their pick, I was grinning from ear-to-ear. Probably looked pretty freaky...
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Baalke called Ten at pick 34 and they called his bluff? maybe he told them you guys want Hunter? if not we'll take him and Titan fell for it and sent us a future 2014 3rd round pick.

I have to ask though but in 2011-2012, wasn't it reported that we did talk to Aldon and AJ or am I wrong? Is it that Baalke and the crew knew who they want year in and year out just by looking at game tape alone?
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
I wonder if Baalke called Ten at pick 34 and they called his bluff? maybe he told them you guys want Hunter? if not we'll take him and Titan fell for it and sent us a future 2014 3rd round pick.

I have to ask though but in 2011-2012, wasn't it reported that we did talk to Aldon and AJ or am I wrong? Is it that Baalke and the crew knew who they want year in and year out just by looking at game tape alone?

According to Mike Sando, everyone was caught off guard with the Aldon Smith pick, but lately the upper end is starting figure out their thought process. Many scouts penciled in Eric Reid in the first round, including McShay and Kiper. Last year Jenkins was linked to the Niners, but he wasn't their first option. Seems like the Seahawks knew we liked Irvin so they jumped ahead of us and took him in the top 15.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Many scouts penciled in Eric Reid in the first round, including McShay and Kiper.

Linking Reid to the Niners was pretty easy in the sense that it was an obvious need and stylistic fit (Reid being a lot like Dashon and having played in a similar scheme at LSU), and the general consensus as the draft approached was that he was the #2 safety in the draft (not here at FF, but in most other places). So he got penciled into the 49ers spot almost by default in the mocks that had SF being the second team to draft a safety. I'm not sure that shows anything more than that blind squirrels sometimes find nuts. The fact that Baalke evidently knew that both the Giants and Bengals were interested in Reid suggests that we're still ahead of the curve compared to most other FOs, and neither of those teams is run by idiots.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but Kiper had Reid as his 5th ranked safety but still had him going to SF. I'm not saying we aren't ahead of the curve or anything, but some are starting to figure us out a bit. Nothing wrong with that, happens to every team like you just mentioned with SF knowing Reid was a top priority for Cincy/NYG. Sando's point was, after the Aldon Smith pick that caught EVERYONE off guard, teams are getting a better understanding on their philosophy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:

According to Mike Sando, everyone was caught off guard with the Aldon Smith pick, but lately the upper end is starting figure out their thought process. Many scouts penciled in Eric Reid in the first round, including McShay and Kiper. Last year Jenkins was linked to the Niners, but he wasn't their first option. Seems like the Seahawks knew we liked Irvin so they jumped ahead of us and took him in the top 15.

GMs can't get a bead on Baalke still. That's why he was able to jump both NYG and Cincy. None of our draft picks had any contact with us. We didn't work them out, we didn't bring them in for interviews like in previous years. With all the hoopla over us having all those picks, Baalke knew teams would be watching. Teams ask prospects all the time, what teams they visited, who've they scheduled private workouts for, etc. Baalke was able to manuver with the picks like he pleased, jumping teams like checkers. He traded with GB twice because TT loves to trade back and stockpile picks. Baalke knows how to manuver in the draft. All eyes were on him. What will the Niners do? Baalke and the Niners are poised to shake up the draft. All these headlines and focus on us and he killed it. Absolutely nailed it. He understands the draft and how most teams think, what certain GMs value and he's able to use that to his advantage. He and Marthe are a formidable duo.

Sure ppl mocked Reid to us. Just like alot of ppl mocked Cyprien to us. And others mocked Elam. Baalke always goes biggest need in first round. Its been 4 drafts now and its always the same, we address our biggest need first. So sure, some GMs knew we were going safety. But which safety was the guess. And because Baalke is known for not following conventional thinking when evaluating prospecting and assigning value to guys, ppl knew it could have been any number of safeties. A lot ppl had us taking J.J Wilcox as a sleeper pick becuase he was guy we really liked at 31. Some had us taking Thomas of Fresno St. I saw a few who had us taking Amerson. Point is, we had everybody guessing because all out targets we had virtually no contact with. Only hint we gave is when we sent Fangio to Tank's workout before the draft.

Last edited by 757-NINER on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
757-NINER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post
757-NINER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:

Nah, I don't think he would have took that gamble. I think he had two guys he liked at 34 but was ultimately looking to trade out of the pick for better value. I think he liked both Ertz and Tank at 34. He was banking on one of them being there after the trade back. Tank happened to be there. Then there was a little run on TEs and I think he saw he was going to miss the boat so he jumped in front of Seattle, who traded back immediately after we took McDonald. Then they ended up taking a TE...McDonald's teammate at Rice, later on in the 7th round, which will be a little subplot moving foward. Did Seattle have their eye on McDonald? Who ended up with the better TE? All that will be decided down the road I guess.
Ronnie's Pinky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Sure ppl mocked Reid to us. Just like alot of ppl mocked Cyprien to us. And others mocked Elam. Baalke always goes biggest need in first round. Its been 4 drafts now and its always the same, we address our biggest need first. So sure, some GMs knew we were going safety. But which safety was the guess.

That's pretty much my thinking on the matter, as well. It's not only Baalke - most teams that are legit championship contenders draft for need early because they have to get production out of a couple rookies for financial reasons. Baltimore did the same thing we did this year. They needed a safety and an ILB, and took those two positions with the top two picks. It's not rocket science.

That Sando article says that teams are figuring the 49ers out because both Reid and Tank were connected to San Francisco in mocks at various points. I don't buy it, especially not when it comes to that monkey Kiper. I think a lot of people just realized that our most pressing needs were for a starting safety, and a D lineman to replace Justin long-term. Our other big need was at TE, and a lot of people mocked either Eifert or Erzt to us, as well. It's nothing more than a recognition that superbowl teams with holes to fill are going to fill their needs at the top of the draft. Everybody knew that the Ravens were going safety - ILB early, as well, but I don't think that means they have figured Ozzie Newsome out.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:

haws didnt just ahead of us. they picked at 12 and traded back with the iggles to 15 and grabbed him

new sig... sorry alex
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:

Nah, I don't think he would have took that gamble. I think he had two guys he liked at 34 but was ultimately looking to trade out of the pick for better value. I think he liked both Ertz and Tank at 34. He was banking on one of them being there after the trade back. Tank happened to be there. Then there was a little run on TEs and I think he saw he was going to miss the boat so he jumped in front of Seattle, who traded back immediately after we took McDonald. Then they ended up taking a TE...McDonald's teammate at Rice, later on in the 7th round, which will be a little subplot moving foward. Did Seattle have their eye on McDonald? Who ended up with the better TE? All that will be decided down the road I guess.

yeah thats what balke said
he said they werent going after just tank, that if they were, then they wouldnt have taken the risk to trade back
he said there was 4 guys they liked there and would be happy choosing either one and thats why they chose to trade back

new sig... sorry alex
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:

yeah thats what balke said
he said they werent going after just tank, that if they were, then they wouldnt have taken the risk to trade back
he said there was 4 guys they liked there and would be happy choosing either one and thats why they chose to trade back

Exactly. If we had wanted Tank, and only Tank, we'd have taken him at 34 rather than risk losing him. My guess is we really wanted Reid because if we had Elam and Cyprien rated as highly as Reid we might have waited till one or two of those guys had gone.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Baalke always goes biggest need in first round. .

I wonder when people will ever finally accept that every team tries to fill their needs in the draft and that therefore the majority of picks, by every team in every round, goes to filling their needs at the time they are picking. Highest needs early in the draft; lesser needs later.

It is a rare, rare event when a team sees a guy at a position they have absolutely no need for but take him anyway because he is just so clearly better than anyone left in the draft. If there was such a guy they might well try to trade that pick to someone desperate for that position so that they could pick up extra picks to fill the needs they do have. No one is ever "clearly" better than everyone else left, except maybe for the first few picks. So there never is a "best player" available, only a set of "best playerS" from whom you might find one that fits a need. Or, like us at 34, you might have a few rated equally highly and be willing to take any of them and so can afford to trade back a bit.

If it weren't for teams trying to fill their needs mock drafts wouldn't exist since there would then only be player rankings with teams always taking the guy at the top of the list.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
Baalke always goes biggest need in first round. .

I wonder when people will ever finally accept that every team tries to fill their needs in the draft and that therefore the majority of picks, by every team in every round, goes to filling their needs at the time they are picking. Highest needs early in the draft; lesser needs later.

It is a rare, rare event when a team sees a guy at a position they have absolutely no need for but take him anyway because he is just so clearly better than anyone left in the draft. If there was such a guy they might well try to trade that pick to someone desperate for that position so that they could pick up extra picks to fill the needs they do have. No one is ever "clearly" better than everyone else left, except maybe for the first few picks. So there never is a "best player" available, only a set of "best playerS" from whom you might find one that fits a need. Or, like us at 34, you might have a few rated equally highly and be willing to take any of them and so can afford to trade back a bit.

If it weren't for teams trying to fill their needs mock drafts wouldn't exist since there would then only be player rankings with teams always taking the guy at the top of the list.

What? You mean to say that the actual execution of "BPA" is rare? Are you saying "BPA" is largely a myth(at least in the higher rounds)?!
I kid, but truly, "BPA" is a luxury and I think the only time it was truly evident in this draft was with Lattimore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: