Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oh Darius, you Slay me.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lionsfanforever


Joined: 27 Sep 2009
Posts: 4558
Location: Flint, MI
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DetroitLionsNFL: CB Darius Slay will wear No. 30. @_bigplayslay9 #lionsdraft
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jrugges


Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 8922
Location: White Lake, Mi.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP CITY wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
RIP CITY wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

Boykin? Really?

Well, you are right. There certainly isn't any reason for you to argue Laughing


SMH, Boykin clearly outplayed Bentley in every way and will always completely outplay Bentley in every way. You can deny it all you want, but he did and he will continue to.

Yes, we are aware how you feel.

Why don't you go make an Amerson thread or something Laughing


No need for that. He is allowed to express his opinion, even if we don't agree with it. We all have had bad ones.

He continues to express the same lame opinion over and over. All I did was point out we were aware of it because he has shared it on several occasions already, so what precisely is wrong with that?

He clearly has some kind of manlove for Amerson that requires him to talk about him. Well, Amerson in such that he applies to Darius Slay has been shared plenty in Slays thread, so if he wants to continue swinging from that strap it would be kindly if he would start a thread to do so.

He is the one railroading this thread, not me. I tried to get him back on topic, you are helping him.


Actually, if no one replied I would have let my original statement stand and not said a thing. No one HAD to reply, I don't reply to every post people make, but someone did so I responded. That's how message boards work, you know. And, on top of that, the topic has also changed to Boykin Vs. Bentley, so I'm not even talking about Amerson anymore. So really I don't see your problem. But then again, on this board it's only cool to ridicule other people's opinions, not actually just have a conversation.


Hey, some of us like to talk about why your opinion might not make any sense(not saying yours doesn't cause I wanted Boykins too because he can return.) Sometimes we just like to point out why we think your clearly wrong(again though I don't think you are about Boykins/Bentley.) I still like Bentley, he might work out as a 3rd CB and teams need about 4 now'a'days.

Though, back to Amerson. I don't mind Slay over Amerson. Slay actually played really well when you go back in look at it, and played better in the offseason practices and really played against better competition all year. It's not quite the same argument you had with Boykins vs Bentley because Bentley was a good player from a small program which with more perceived upside, really neither of the players now we're talking about(Slay vs Amerson) played against as weak competition as Bentley, and Slay might have even play better competition than Amerson.

Don't blame you for holding to your guns. Lotta people go with the flavor of the week. Half a week ago if we put a mock up with Ziggy Ansah people hate it, now, people are all the sudden ok with the selection because we actually made it. I hope the guy works out, I really do. But I'm not about to sit here and say I think he's going to be a stud cause I don't. I just hope he works out for the Lions sake, for my enjoyment, and for the other fans who enjoy watching good football.

Am I going to root for whoever the Lions pick. Absolutely, when/if they fail and I didn't agree am I going to say I said so. Yep. Though no one will care cause they'll think it's in hindsight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RIP CITY


Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 639
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, it is what it is. I admit that Amerson had a down year this year compared to his Junior year where he was simply amazing, I think alot of people are being overly critical of his play because he didn't repeat his ridiculous production from 2011. I just think the kid has a TON of potential to be a great CB and very dangerous playmaker.

But I definitely like Slay too, he was one of the guys I wanted to see the Lions to take a look at and they chose him instead, that's fine, and I hope it turns out. Just think Amerson will be the better player. Not my fault someone had to reply and act like I was nuts for liking Amerson better and some other guy had to start crying like a baby because I mentioned Amerson a few other times. Everyone on this board was banging the drums for one particular guy they liked in every thread, for some reason he chose to bash me for it.

Just seems like people on this board get very defensive about anyone on the Lions if you say someone else is better unless it's just a complete no brainer like comparing Adrian Peterson to Reggie Bush or something like that. On this board, everyone on the Lions is better than everyone who's a similar talent from another team. I understand being a fan of the team but man it gets old hearing people defend Lions players every single time you mention replacing them with someone else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FootballPhreak


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 34444
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to pay attention then. There are quite a few of us known for being quite negative when it comes to the Lions, their picks, and their players.

I was the only person that predicted a sub .500 season last year.

But when a players' scouting report reads "Will have to change positions in NFL due to lack of athleticism", then someone comes in claiming he is one of the most athletic at his position, that seems just a little ridiculous to me Wink
_________________
Draft_FanAddict wrote:
If that doesn't concern you, I don't know what would...a missing head?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
cibowilson


Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 1987
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this pick. I had Amerson rated one spot higher, but Slay was my next rated CB. I really liked Amerson, but I think Slay is going to be money. I think he needs to get stronger, but he is silky smooth. In a year he is going to be considered one of the best CBs in the draft.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RIP CITY


Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 639
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
You need to pay attention then. There are quite a few of us known for being quite negative when it comes to the Lions, their picks, and their players.

I was the only person that predicted a sub .500 season last year.

But when a players' scouting report reads "Will have to change positions in NFL due to lack of athleticism", then someone comes in claiming he is one of the most athletic at his position, that seems just a little ridiculous to me Wink


I predicted they would have a sub .500 season as well. Probably didn't post it here because I really only post here in the offseason because I get tired of hearing about how good players like Aaron Berry, Mikael LeShoure, Willie Young, Sammy Hill and Bill Bentley are going to be.

That scouting report sucks then, because all you have to do is put on the tape and see he's definitely athletic, never said he was the most athletic player at his position, I never said that about any player in this Draft period. Mayock said he was a fantastic athlete that is just stiff in certain situations for example. I get the knocks on him for him being too much of a gambler, which caused him to get burnt a few times but lack of athleticism is definitely not a concern IMO. The real reason people thought he might be better at Safety is because they think he's much better in zone coverage with players in front of him where he can break on the ball and gets picks and he is also a hard hitter. But he's definitely very athletic IMO and with good Coaching he should be able to learn better techniques to get rid of that stiffness Mayock talked about and definitely believe he has the ability to become a man to man corner.

Alot of "experts" say he is a boom or bust Pick with 1st Round talent, you don't say that about a guy who's not athletic enough.

Just watch his tape, how anyone can say that guy isn't athletic enough is baffling to me.

Anyway, it's over, we didn't get him, sucks for me because I wanted to see him on the Lions but I like Slay too so it's not the end of the world.


Last edited by RIP CITY on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FootballPhreak


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 34444
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a single scouting report. Every one I read in the offseason. Probably around 10 or 11. I guess 10 or 11 scouting reports suck.
_________________
Draft_FanAddict wrote:
If that doesn't concern you, I don't know what would...a missing head?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
1King


Moderator
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 31519
Location: daboyle250 on the sig.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amerson might be athletic, but it doesnt consistently translate to the field. Because he got burnt and burnt and burnt all year.
_________________


El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.


candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome


TEAM STYLISH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RIP CITY


Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 639
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Not a single scouting report. Every one I read in the offseason. Probably around 10 or 11. I guess 10 or 11 scouting reports suck.


NFL.com -

Possesses size, physicality and athleticism to be a starting NFL defensive back.

NEPatriotsDraft.com -

As a total package, Amerson has a blend of size, speed and bulk that is rare for the cornerback position.

More scouting reports -

- Amerson has the size of a safety combined with the athleticism of a cornerback, giving him the potential to play either position at the next level.

- Amerson measured in at the NFL Scouting Combine at 61 and 205 pounds with 32 and 5/8 arms, fantastic size for a cornerback. He also proved his athleticism at the combine, running a 4.44-second 40-yard dash, jumping 35'1/2" in the vertical jump and broad jumping 10'7" inches.

- David Amerson, DB (6-1 1/8, 201) - Amerson recorded a 38 1/2-inch vertical, a 11-foot broad jump, a 4.13-second short shuttle and 7.75-second three-cone drill. He had really good numbers at the pro day.


Again, I don't care what any scouting reports says anyway, watch him play, that's what I do and he certainly looks anything but un-atheltic to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RIP CITY


Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 639
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:
Amerson might be athletic, but it doesnt consistently translate to the field. Because he got burnt and burnt and burnt all year.


A. That's an exaggeration. He got burnt badly in 2 of their big games, I have no problem admitting that but he did not get burnt all season long by everyone like you're making it out to be. That's simply not true. And alot of good CB's got burned by Tennessee's WR's, not just him.

B. Apparently he's only played one year of College Football, because no one seems to remember he was rated the Top CB in the nation after his junior year and was projected to go Top 10 in this Draft, before the season. His athleticism definitely translated to the field in his Junior year and then some when he had 13 INT's, many with long returns where he showed very good potential to take INT's back to the house.

Players are not perfect, he had a down year but I don't look at just one year or two games (which are what everyone is focusing on with him), I look at all the years and everything else as well. ALL Corners get burned, every single one, even Deion Sanders got burned every once and awhile. But that's a part of Coaching, getting that player to limit that by improving his technique and footwork, something an NFL Coaching staff should be able to do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sllim Pickens


Moderator
Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 18730
Location: Middle of the Mitten
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP CITY wrote:
1King wrote:
Amerson might be athletic, but it doesnt consistently translate to the field. Because he got burnt and burnt and burnt all year.


A. That's an exaggeration. He got burnt badly in 2 of their big games, I have no problem admitting that but he did not get burnt all season long by everyone like you're making it out to be. That's simply not true. And alot of good CB's got burned by Tennessee's WR's, not just him.

B. Apparently he's only played one year of College Football, because no one seems to remember he was rated the Top CB in the nation after his junior year and was projected to go Top 10 in this Draft, before the season. His athleticism definitely translated to the field in his Junior year and then some when he had 13 INT's, many with long returns where he showed very good potential to take INT's back to the house.

Players are not perfect, he had a down year but I don't look at just one year or two games (which are what everyone is focusing on with him), I look at all the years and everything else as well. ALL Corners get burned, every single one, even Deion Sanders got burned every once and awhile. But that's a part of Coaching, getting that player to limit that by improving his technique and footwork, something an NFL Coaching staff should be able to do.


And Gholston was projected top 20 and Johnny Adams was. First/second round pick, and Matt Barkley was a top 5 pick. That's the whole point. He was supposed to be good, but his weaknesses were exposed.
_________________


Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
duanegarrison09


Joined: 11 Nov 2010
Posts: 638
Location: Macomb County, Michigan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was presently surprised that Mayhew drafted a cornerback in the second, thought we were going to get a new wide receiver Rolling Eyes

I liked Jamar Taylor but will be comparing Darius Slay's to his production.

I wonder if Mayhew would have taken Justin Hunter had the Titans not traded ahead of them to select him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LionsFTW


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 18064
Location: Rock City, Arkansas
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor Mays. Anybody remember that guy? Cuz Amerson is the same situation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detroitroar


Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Posts: 4161
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Taylor Mays. Anybody remember that guy? Cuz Amerson is the same situation.

Oh god. We actually had people on here mocking him to us in the 1st I think; 2nd for sure.

Guy actually got mad at Carroll for picking Thomas over him.

I dont think Amerson is nearly as stiff, but I do think he would be better suited at safety.
_________________
Team Stylish

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LionsFTW


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 18064
Location: Rock City, Arkansas
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
Taylor Mays. Anybody remember that guy? Cuz Amerson is the same situation.

Oh god. We actually had people on here mocking him to us in the 1st I think; 2nd for sure.

Guy actually got mad at Carroll for picking Thomas over him.

I dont think Amerson is nearly as stiff, but I do think he would be better suited at safety.


My comparison had nothing to do with skillset. Mays was a top 15 pick after his junior year but stayed for his senior season and was exposed of every weakness he had.

Same with Amerson. His junior year was insane, but teams started game planning for him and found a major weakness and it was exposed all season long.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group