Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oh Darius, you Slay me.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duanegarrison09 wrote:
I was presently surprised that Mayhew drafted a cornerback in the second, thought we were going to get a new wide receiver Rolling Eyes

I liked Jamar Taylor but will be comparing Darius Slay's to his production.

I wonder if Mayhew would have taken Justin Hunter had the Titans not traded ahead of them to select him.
TBH I wanted Hunter if he was there. He is a first round talent. The exact #2 WR we need. Field stretcher opposite CJ that is tall.

Sig bet
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is he in press coverage? And, how is his tackling?
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People hating on Slay dont know anything about him. Hes the fastest corner in the draft with great size. Fluid hips. Plays the run better than any other corner. Great anticipation. Great hands. Physical, and sometimes overly physical.

What is not to love about this pick?
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:

My understanding - feel open to correction folks. He is very good in press coverage, very strong for his size. He is a sure tackler but lacks form. More of a drag down tackler type than a good form tackler.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:

My understanding - feel open to correction folks. He is very good in press coverage, very strong for his size. He is a sure tackler but lacks form. More of a drag down tackler type than a good form tackler.

It gets the job done.
Chups

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:

He's basically a faster version of Antoine Cason.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I watched of Slay, and I do remember it being confirmed by an analyst, he is actually a below average tackler.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
From what I watched of Slay, and I do remember it being confirmed by an analyst, he is actually a below average tackler.
That's not true at all, don't know what analyst you heard that from but I've watched quite a bit on Slay, he was my #4 corner for much of this off-season, until I learned of Jamar Taylor, (and I won't lie I knew little of DJ Hayden up until the final week of the draft).

Slay is a physical corner who never avoids contact, and rarely ever misses a tackle (although like Phreak stated, he's inconsistent in his form and could improve upon that with nfl coaching).

You'll rarely ever find a corner who is an excellent tackler and stud against the run, those guys are called safeties. But Slay is about as good as you're gonna get as a corner who can help support against the run, and making open-field tackles.

His press coverage skills have a good foundational base, but he could use more experience and coaching, he's only started for 1 season, and the Bulldog's used both man and zone coverage. What I liked about Slay is that with limited experience, he showed promise in every aspect of both schemes. He could press, blanket, recover, make plays in zone, and tackle.

For a guy with limited starting experience, Slay has proven to have the instincts and physical abilities to develop into an extremely good corner in whatever scheme you want to use him in.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chups wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:

He's basically a faster version of Antoine Cason.

On NFL.com in the combine notes Cason was his NFL comparison.
cibowilson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this pick. The more I think about it the more I love it!
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cibowilson wrote:

Meaning the more you learn about this guy, the more you like it.

Some of you people get so p'd off if a guy is drafted that they dont know or haven't heard of. Its not the managements fault that your draft knowledge isnt up to par.
RIP CITY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
cibowilson wrote:

Some of you people get so p'd off if a guy is drafted that they dont know or haven't heard of. Its not the managements fault that your draft knowledge isnt up to par.

Yeah because this managements judgement is so awesome. Anyway, I've never seen anyone in this thread say anything bad or "hate" on Slay. I was the main person that didn't love the Pick but it had nothing to do with Slay, I think he's going to be a pretty good player, I just wanted someone else that's all. I like the Pick, liked Slay before the Draft and was hoping for a CB in this Round all along and he was one of the 3 I liked at this spot. Good Pick, just not who I would have chosen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
cibowilson wrote:

Not quite. I was really high on Slay and have mentioned that a few times. As I mentioned before, he was my 2nd highest rated CB on available. Second only to Amerson, and that is only because I personally liked and valued Amerson a little higher then most.

I think I was a bit blinded by my love for Amerson and his potential. But I loved the Slay pick at the time. And just the more I think about it the more I think that he was the better player and pick over Amerson.

It's not like Slay was some unheard of prospect. Gil Brandt invited him to the Draft after Trufant couldn't make it.
Draft_FanAddict

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP CITY wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
cibowilson wrote:

Yeah because this managements judgement is so awesome. Anyway, I've never seen anyone in this thread say anything bad or "hate" on Slay. I was the main person that didn't love the Pick but it had nothing to do with Slay, I think he's going to be a pretty good player, I just wanted someone else that's all. I like the Pick, liked Slay before the Draft and was hoping for a CB in this Round all along and he was one of the 3 I liked at this spot. Good Pick, just not who I would have chosen.
I don't like the pick. If he's not starting week one, this is a failure. I was really hoping Cyprien would be available.

I hope I'm wrong and Slay fulfills his potential. He has all the tools. But if he's not healthy, or doesn't play for any reason, Mayhew blew this one. We need starters, NOW.

They are also the most loyal.
El Duderino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Artest tore his meniscus this season, and came back after a couple of weeks. Its no big deal unless Slay has any setbacks. He even did workout for teams after finding out about the tear. All this talk about him not being ready for training camp was probably coming from teams that wanted him to fall.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: