Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 34th pick, the Titans select Justin Hunter, WR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lamont

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think Hunter is the perfect compliment to Britt.

and the more I think about it, the more I think the Wright pick was a waste.

I didn't like the pick but that makes absolute no sense. Wright can play any WR spot and will thrive in the slot. He had a good rookie season and was our best WR last year. In today's NFL, you need more than 2 good WR's. Britt, Hunter, and Wright should work great together.

I dont see how you think he was our best WR. I think he was our 3rd. (that includes a healthy Britt.)

His 9.8 yards per reception is very average. He was only one out 4 WRs in the league last year that averaged less than 10 yards a catch with at least 20 receptions.

I will say his stats are almost identical to Amendola although Amendola did it in 11ish games (was still hurt the last 3 games of the season he played)

Wright 64 rec 104 tar 626 yards 9.8 ypc 4 TDs 38 1st downs
Amendola 63 rec 101 tar 666 yards 10.6 ypc 3 TDs 38 1st downs

His YPA is so low because of how he was used on third downs. He led the NFL in third down conversions, if I remember correctly. Did at some point in the middle of the year, anyway. We never really hit him on deep passes or anything like that. He was always the guy we went to for the 6 or 7 yards we needed on 3rd.

Exactly. He also lead all rookie WRs in catches last season. You cannot penalize the guy for his YPA if he was being used wrong by the OC last year. Is he supposed to run go routes when the OC has plays called for bubble screens, 6 & 8 yard slants and come backs for his position? Rolling Eyes

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
TheDeeeeej

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamont wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think Hunter is the perfect compliment to Britt.

I didn't like the pick but that makes absolute no sense. Wright can play any WR spot and will thrive in the slot. He had a good rookie season and was our best WR last year. In today's NFL, you need more than 2 good WR's. Britt, Hunter, and Wright should work great together.

I dont see how you think he was our best WR. I think he was our 3rd. (that includes a healthy Britt.)

His 9.8 yards per reception is very average. He was only one out 4 WRs in the league last year that averaged less than 10 yards a catch with at least 20 receptions.

I will say his stats are almost identical to Amendola although Amendola did it in 11ish games (was still hurt the last 3 games of the season he played)

His YPA is so low because of how he was used on third downs. He led the NFL in third down conversions, if I remember correctly. Did at some point in the middle of the year, anyway. We never really hit him on deep passes or anything like that. He was always the guy we went to for the 6 or 7 yards we needed on 3rd.

Exactly. He also lead all rookie WRs in catches last season. You cannot penalize the guy for his YPA if he was being used wrong by the OC last year. Is he supposed to run go routes when the OC has plays called for bubble screens, 6 & 8 yard slants and come backs for his position? Rolling Eyes

I was just pointing out the stats.

I remember watching him last year thinking he didnt look that explosive.

[Adopt a Titan] [Derrick Morgan] [Robert Johnson]
lamont

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDeeeeej wrote:
lamont wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:

I remember watching him last year thinking he didnt look that explosive.

He didn't look explosive because Palmer's playcalling didn't require for him to be explosive. He caught everything in his zip code (one game he had the dropsies, but that is to be expected with a rook) and tried to get as much YAC as he could with the short routes he was running. I can count on both hands the times he actually ran a go route last year. Hopefully Loggains will run alot of vertical routes for Wright, Hunter and Britt this year and open up the underneath stuff for check downs to Walker, CJ, Reynaud & company. I know that the 8 in the box defenses that the Titans have faced for the last 3 years is over. Dancing

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the pre-draft podcasts with Greg Cossell and I recall him saying he never saw Wright be covered on a deep slant in college. I think we should try more of those.

Adopt-A-Titan:
1) Dexter McCluster RB/WR -- 9 CAR 29 YDS, 1 REC 17 YDS
2) Sammie Hill NT -- 2 TCK 1 SCK
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDeeeeej wrote:

I remember watching him last year thinking he didn't look that explosive.

Allow me to refresh your memory then.

You can't look at this, watch how many tackles he broke in space last year, and tell me he doesn't look that explosive.

Kendall Wright was drafted because they knew they couldn't trust Kenny Britt long term. Even with a big comeback year, its hard to imagine the titans offering him much more than the Franchise tag. I don't see kenny Britt in the Titan's long term plans, especially now with Hunter in fold.

**RIP Steve McNair**
Dionysus

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:

You can't look at this, watch how many tackles he broke in space last year, and tell me he doesn't look that explosive.

Kendall Wright was drafted because they knew they couldn't trust Kenny Britt long term. Even with a big comeback year, its hard to imagine the titans offering him much more than the Franchise tag. I don't see Kenny Britt in the Titan's long term plans, especially now with Hunter in fold.

Damn those are some good highlights of KW. I almost forgot about how shifty he is on the field because I was trying to purge most last season from my memory. Now I'm excited again. Now I wanna see what kind of duo Wright and Hunter would make. Cool
Niznag74

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when we talk about Hunter lining up as a due and working well with another Wr on the roster it should be Wright. Britt is all but gone, Wright was the lone bright spot last season on the offense. He had a very good rookie season and I can't wait to see him do even better this year. Wright and Hunter are the future at Wr for us. Britt will be gone after this year or will get tagged if he plays lights out. They would be dumb to offer him a contract after one good healthy year. He needs to prove it more then once to get paid.
TheDeeeeej

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just my opinion on Wright. We'll see.

Also, it appears a lot of "experts" are not a fan of the trade we made to get Hunter. IMO, I like it. You do what you need to do to get the guy you want. We had a 1st round grade on him so basically a 2nd, a 3rd, and some change for a 1st round pick. I'll take it.

Also I think Silva said we sold the farm for Hunter. How is that trade selling the farm?

[Adopt a Titan] [Derrick Morgan] [Robert Johnson]
s_camp

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:

Kendall Wright was drafted because they knew they couldn't trust Kenny Britt long term. Even with a big comeback year, its hard to imagine the titans offering him much more than the Franchise tag. I don't see kenny Britt in the Titan's long term plans, especially now with Hunter in fold.

Aside from one play against JAX and some screen plays against the entire AFCS, I'm not seeing "explosive" in that highlight package. And really, any NFL player should look explosive on a decently-blocked screen play.

Check some Randy Moss or early CJ videos for a refresher on what "explosive" looks like.

If these guys drafted Wright to take Britt's spot, they're dumber than rocks. Wright just isn't the kind of player Britt is. Not saying he's worse, but I don't see how he could replace Britt if/when (lol, ok just when) Britt costs himself his job.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The combo of Wright and Hunter could be one of the best in the league eventually. Wright is better than a whole lot of people give him credit for.

You look at the routes they had him run. All these short crossing routes. Contrast that what he was asked to do in college....

Two different things. He can a lot more than what they showed last year.

Hunter has to do it, but he has all the tools to be a playmaker.

I still don't understand how people feel we just traded away a "Ditka" like amount of picks to get Hunter. We swapped 2nds, so didn't lose there. It was only 6 spots. Then traded a 3rd, next year, and a 7th, which we had two of...
Basically it was a 3rd round pick that could be on the lower end of the round if all the moves come together.

If people don't like the Titans, just say it, don't try to nail them for moves that are pretty good.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDeeeeej wrote:

Also, it appears a lot of "experts" are not a fan of the trade we made to get Hunter. IMO, I like it. You do what you need to do to get the guy you want. We had a 1st round grade on him so basically a 2nd, a 3rd, and some change for a 1st round pick. I'll take it.

Also I think Silva said we sold the farm for Hunter. How is that trade selling the farm?

I don't understand that either. The only thing it really cost us was a 2014 3rd round pick. We also give up a 7th round pick from this draft, but we had that one to spare because of the compensatory pick. So the way I see it, we got possibly a 1st round caliber talent for a future 3rd round pick. It's not like we did a trade like Atlanta did for Julio Jones. THAT was selling the farm.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDeeeeej wrote:

And that's the last person you should listen to. He's a complete idiot and a biased piece of [inappropriate/removed]. The whole rotoworld staff is a joke. I called him out on it too and he hasn't replied back.

Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
Dionysus

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:

Aside from one play against JAX and some screen plays against the entire AFCS, I'm not seeing "explosive" in that highlight package. And really, any NFL player should look explosive on a decently-blocked screen play.

Check some Randy Moss or early CJ videos for a refresher on what "explosive" looks like.

If these guys drafted Wright to take Britt's spot, they're dumber than rocks. Wright just isn't the kind of player Britt is. Not saying he's worse, but I don't see how he could replace Britt if/when (lol, ok just when) Britt costs himself his job.

He was playing the AFC South teams, he had good blocking to in front of him. You don't see "explosive" in his game? Really?
OK, I get it that a lot of people are still salty-balled about the Kendall Wright pick for whatever reason, but don't try to downplay the guy with frivolous excuses like this. I saw him make a lot of good runs after some mid-range catches, and blow by defenders for a couple of downfield passes. I'm very curious to know what your idea of "explosive" is.

And bringing him in to take Britt's spot is not as dumb as you want to believe. Britt is not somebody you can hang your hat on. For all of his physical ability, Britt has been unreliable and can't be trusted as a long term solution. IMO he's been a bust as a 1st round pick. I'll admit, he fell out of favor with me a while back with his continued off-the-field stupidity and injury issues, and there's no doubt in my mind that the coaches feel the same way. That's why they drafted two WRs with their high rounds two consecutive years. Wright and Britt are two different styles, but Wright CAN (and will) take his spot.

s_camp

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
s_camp wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:

He was playing the AFC South teams, he had good blocking to in front of him. You don't see "explosive" in his game? Really?
OK, I get it that a lot of people are still salty-balled about the Kendall Wright pick for whatever reason, but don't try to downplay the guy with frivolous excuses like this. I saw him make a lot of good runs after some mid-range catches, and blow by defenders for a couple of downfield passes. I'm very curious to know what your idea of "explosive" is.

And bringing him in to take Britt's spot is not as dumb as you want to believe. Britt is not somebody you can hang your hat on. For all of his physical ability, Britt has been unreliable and can't be trusted as a long term solution. IMO he's been a bust as a 1st round pick. I'll admit, he fell out of favor with me a while back with his continued off-the-field stupidity and injury issues, and there's no doubt in my mind that the coaches feel the same way. That's why they drafted two WRs with their high rounds two consecutive years. Wright and Britt are two different styles, but Wright CAN (and will) take his spot.

You ought to read my post again, because you missed the point completely.

Drafting Wright had no effect on my balls, thanks. I made no attempt to downplay him. I just pointed out that "explosive" isn't a word I'd use to describe him. As I said previously, my idea of "explosive" is guys like Moss, CJ, and Peterson. Wright is a lot of things - shifty, slippery, and most important to me sure-handed - but explosive isn't one of them. He's fast enough, but I don't see him leaving trailing defenders like they're standing still.

I didn't say anything positive about Britt. I haven't said anything positive about Britt in years. Not sure why you're trying to convince me of anything about him. All I said is that Wright is very different kind of player and thus he can't take over the role Britt has filled (when he's not in jail). Hunter is here to take over for Britt, hopefully. Wright is here to fill his own role.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
Dionysus wrote:

You ought to read my post again, because you missed the point completely.

Drafting Wright had no effect on my balls, thanks. I made no attempt to downplay him. I just pointed out that "explosive" isn't a word I'd use to describe him. As I said previously, my idea of "explosive" is guys like Moss, CJ, and Peterson. Wright is a lot of things - shifty, slippery, and most important to me sure-handed - but explosive isn't one of them. He's fast enough, but I don't see him leaving trailing defenders like they're standing still.

I didn't say anything positive about Britt. I haven't said anything positive about Britt in years. Not sure why you're trying to convince me of anything about him. All I said is that Wright is very different kind of player and thus he can't take over the role Britt has filled (when he's not in jail). Hunter is here to take over for Britt, hopefully. Wright is here to fill his own role.

Oh OK. My bad...and glad to hear your balls are still in tact. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: