Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 44th Pick, Carolina Selects Kawann Short-DT-Purdue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you grade the Short pick?
A
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
B
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
C
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

iknowcool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gettleman believed that Short was the most natural pass rusher in the draft.

Last edited by iknowcool on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Gettleman believed that Short was the most natural pass rusher in the draft.

Can't say I disagree. Richardson is probably a better interior penetrator, and Floyd has the measurables to project as a better pass rusher, but in terms of natural ability I think Short is the guy.
fretgod99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't who I was looking for them to take, but definitely can't fault the pick. There was still something of a hole there, so BPA. Good things usually happen when you do that.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
panther dude

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg we can finally stop the run Very Happy Very Happy yesssss Crying or Very sad
faccda01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I was skeptical of this pick, but the more I think of it, the more excited I get. The one criticism that Star is getting is his pass rushing. What do we do with our next pick? Address that concern. This lets Star do what he does best, take up space, while still having the interior pass rushing threat.

This pick makes sure that NOBODY on our DL can be double teamed without a TE or two staying in to block. This in turn makes our LB and DB jobs much easier, decreasing our need for secondary help.

Look no further than our SB run for an example. We had a bunch of no names in the secondary and Ricky Manning Jr. was a "star" and got money from Chicago. We can live with the secondary as it with how strong our front seven is. I love this pick.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt this was the second best pick of their draft. Outside of Dwan Edwards they don't really have any pass rush DT's. Which I guess is why so many wanted Sharif Floyd when he fell. But I like it cause he can provide pressure up the middle which they had been sorely lacking, for years. His hand placement and quickness impress me. It's like he knows how long to attack a certain way before he tries something else. It's an innate ability that few DT's have. The most famous one like that was proably Warren Sapp. Not saying he's anything close or even sniffing Sapp but, that his natural instincts is "Sapp like."
boondock

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gettleman really sured up the DT with this pick. Star is going to be our disruptor to free up the other guys, the guy that takes on multiple blocks. Short is going to be guy that gets after the QB. Dwan will probably ride out this year and Short will be the starter next year.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hated Carolina ever since the 2003 NFC Championship loss, but I love what the Panthers did with their first two picks.
Star-Short should be nearly as good as Suh-Fairley in a year or two. Kawann Short was one of my favorite players in this draft. I think he really resembles Sedrick Ellis coming out of USC. Ellis never lived up to expectations in the NFL, but I have a feeling Kawann will.

Kilty Sig '15 Wish List: L Collins, D Perryman, D Greenberry, C Davis, T Coleman, H Kikaha, T Clemmings
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gettleman said he told JJR at before the 2nd round if he was there they were going to take him and they did.

Thanks CK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: