Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 44th Pick, Carolina Selects Kawann Short-DT-Purdue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you grade the Short pick?
A
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
B
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
C
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

Author Message
Peppers90


Joined: 19 Dec 2004
Posts: 11217
Location: North Carolina/Indiana
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to stop the run along with a good pass rush, which we already have, will make a secondary look much better than they are.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Moparguy


Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Posts: 978
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Lions fan and I have to say,

You guys are having an excellent draft so far. Not only are you drafting for your biggest need you got very good players and good value.

Great job by your GM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peppers90


Joined: 19 Dec 2004
Posts: 11217
Location: North Carolina/Indiana
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moparguy wrote:
I am a Lions fan and I have to say,

You guys are having an excellent draft so far. Not only are you drafting for your biggest need you got very good players and good value.

Great job by your GM


It's not that hard if you trust your board and don't get trade happy.

BTW...

Quote:
@josephperson
Dave Gettleman said team called asking if Panthers would trade next year's 1st-round pick for a 2nd-rd pick this year. He didn't call back.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
tbrown2699


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 2305
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's saft to say the Panthers are gearing up to stop the run. Love it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnydtarheel


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 4207
Location: Charlotte NC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short had 19.5 sacks and 49 tackles for loss in college and Gettleman said he was best pass rushing DT on there board. He came in for visit.
_________________

Thanks CK


Last edited by johnydtarheel on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CarolinaRoar


Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 1555
Location: NJ
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppers90 wrote:
Being able to stop the run along with a good pass rush, which we already have, will make a secondary look much better than they are.

Dline > Secondary / Tampa doing it wrong. A good secondary can cover, but a good Dline creates turnovers. #wewanttheball
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BringinDaPain


Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 4032
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Carolina Kawann.. Very Happy
_________________

2011 OROY Winner - Cam Newton
2012 DROY Winner - Luke Kuechly
2013 DPOY Winner - Luke Kuechly
2014 OROY Watch - Kelvin Benjamin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skylined8300


Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Posts: 625
Location: Norfolk, VA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppers90 wrote:
Moparguy wrote:
I am a Lions fan and I have to say,

You guys are having an excellent draft so far. Not only are you drafting for your biggest need you got very good players and good value.

Great job by your GM


It's not that hard if you trust your board and don't get trade happy.

BTW...

Quote:
@josephperson
Dave Gettleman said team called asking if Panthers would trade next year's 1st-round pick for a 2nd-rd pick this year. He didn't call back.


Didn't pull any punches with that tweet
_________________


NC SacKing wrote:
This isn't Madden, this isn't fantasy football, and complaining about it on the internet does NOTHING
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PantherDE90


Joined: 01 Mar 2008
Posts: 4506
Location: The Danger Zone
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't expect drafting 2 DTs. I don't know much about this guy however from what I'm hearing it was a good pick. Looks like the Panthers are becoming the Giants. I think this sures up the Panthers have one of the best front sevens in the league.
_________________

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shaX 07


Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppers90 wrote:
Gettleman said Short was at the top of the board, and I believe him, I didn't like any secondary guy here as a good value.

Short should fit in nicely at UT with Star at NT. Goes from a position of major weakness to a strength. Which is always what you want out of the draft.

You aren't going to fill all your needs out the draft. The Fua and McClain picks from a couple years ago show don't just pick a player because he fills a 'need'.


I agree with you, but everybody and their mother would have chosen guys other than those 2 clowns (McClain and Fua) that we picked... I was stunned when we did it, there were better players on the board even then.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moody


Joined: 21 Nov 2011
Posts: 701
Location: Roma
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwan is on a one year deal and they have nobody behind him. This is a good pick.


I'm firmly against drafting WRs with knee problems.


Swearinger was the only secondary player worthwhile on the board and he isn't what we need.


We'll see how the rest plays out but we're pretty much set to take OL/WR/CB/S next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
catamount


Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 91
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is why this is a good pick:

NOSE: Star, Fua, Cole, and Kearse (solid)
UNDERTACKLE: Edwards (32 years of age) Chandler, (undrafter rookie project)

We still had a need at DT.

Short was a stud as a junior, but he was labeled a bit inconsistent during his senior year. They say he disappears and questioned his work ethic.

He was on a bad team and was the focus of the offense. He was double teamed all the time. As a Senior, he had 7 sacks, and played several games on a bad ankle.

For the Panthers, he will not be double teamed because Star will be beside him. He will rotate in and have a veteran to learn from. He will have high motor people all around him (Thomas Davis, Greg Hardy, Jon Beason) pushing him.

This is a very good pick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rjkilla


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 5381
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favorite thing is he was a two time captain on that team. nobody gets picked to wear the C if they're taking plays off
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CarolinaRoar


Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 1555
Location: NJ
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catamount wrote:
Here is why this is a good pick:

NOSE: Star, Fua, Cole, and Kearse (solid)
UNDERTACKLE: Edwards (32 years of age) Chandler, (undrafter rookie project)

We still had a need at DT.

Short was a stud as a junior, but he was labeled a bit inconsistent during his senior year. They say he disappears and questioned his work ethic.

He was on a bad team and was the focus of the offense. He was double teamed all the time. As a Senior, he had 7 sacks, and played several games on a bad ankle.

For the Panthers, he will not be double teamed because Star will be beside him. He will rotate in and have a veteran to learn from. He will have high motor people all around him (Thomas Davis, Greg Hardy, Jon Beason) pushing him.

This is a very good pick.


Dude.. Star, Hardy, Johnson.. WHO ARE THEY GOING TO DOUBLE TEAM? PICK YOUR POISON
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rjkilla


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 5381
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we should be able to get some blitzers free on the edge as well. so stoked for preseason
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group