Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Try not to get too excited, there is nothing flashy here
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asylum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Try not to get too excited, there is nothing flashy here Reply with quote

So far I have seen a little more emotion than there really needs to be. You can like our pick or hate them, but don't over think them. Everyone says that the strength of this years draft is in the later rounds: that means that this years draft is not that great. 3 tackles I'd really what this class offered, but none of these players are in the potential superstar class.

I am sure that everyone had a better plan for the draft than they think the lions did, but we really can't get mad about what they pick. This years draft class could be called the roster filling class. Two or three players could develop into something, however, any other year, this entire draft class its just as good as practice squad players or undrafted players just trying to make the team. Where they say "this draft is deep", I see a group of average (at best) players that only a hand full out players were able to slightly separate themselves from the crowd.
[/code]

Francis Bacon
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear the same thing every year about every.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I know: our team is aware of our situation at RG and the ability of Warmack/Cooper. They also had an opportunity to coach Ansah at the Senior Bowl. When it came down to the draft, they went with Ansah. They clearly feel he's the better option. I'm good with that.

I'm also good with where our DLine is right now. Jones-Suh-Fairley-Ansah is pretty ridiculous on paper, and Ansah's leap to the NFL shouldn't be too challenging: he'll be asked to rush the passer.

It's a seemingly great fit, and makes a lot of sense.

Team Stylish
cibowilson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Here's what I know: our team is aware of our situation at RG and the ability of Warmack/Cooper. They also had an opportunity to coach Ansah at the Senior Bowl. When it came down to the draft, they went with Ansah. They clearly feel he's the better option. I'm good with that.

I'm also good with where our DLine is right now. Jones-Suh-Fairley-Ansah is pretty ridiculous on paper, and Ansah's leap to the NFL shouldn't be too challenging: he'll be asked to rush the passer.

Agreed.
Chups

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

I couldn't say it better myself.

We can argue the pick all day, but in the end, this is what is what it came down to. (I was on the Cooper bandwagon)
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

One other thing is "mention-able"(just made that up....I think) is that the Lions don't have a history of drafting players just because they coached them in the Senior Bowl or otherwise had more contact with them. So it would be hard to say the only reason they fell in love with him was because of the Senior Bowl. Moreso that they fell in love with him in spite of coaching him in the SB. I could be wrong but I am thinking Delmas may have been the other exception.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

I hope you're right. I really do. I just don't feel that same way. Here's what I think I know.

Warmack/Cooper have been raved by almost every crediable scout as the best guards to come out in a LONG LONG time. Both of them played extremely effect/well in college. Both of them had solid workouts, Cooper maybe having just as impressive of a workout as Ziggy.

Our coaches feel in love with a guy they coached at a senior bowl who's mostly based off potential than real substance. I mean JPP had more of a track record and wasn't taken anywhere near 5. I'm trying to like this pick but I just can't help but feel empty about it. Hopefully he turns out to be really good.

Lastly, this guy is a project a real boom or bust type pick and we really needed imo, a few guys to protect Stafford.

But like the original OP suggested, theres lots of draft left. They might bust the Ziggy selection and nail the next four and save there jobs anyways!?!?! Really would love to see Warford on this team now.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

I hope you're right. I really do. I just don't feel that same way. Here's what I think I know.

Warmack/Cooper have been raved by almost every crediable scout as the best guards to come out in a LONG LONG time. Both of them played extremely effect/well in college. Both of them had solid workouts, Cooper maybe having just as impressive of a workout as Ziggy.

Our coaches feel in love with a guy they coached at a senior bowl who's mostly based off potential than real substance. I mean JPP had more of a track record and wasn't taken anywhere near 5. I'm trying to like this pick but I just can't help but feel empty about it. Hopefully he turns out to be really good.

Lastly, this guy is a project a real boom or bust type pick and we really needed imo, a few guys to protect Stafford.

But like the original OP suggested, theres lots of draft left. They might bust the Ziggy selection and nail the next four and save there jobs anyways!?!?! Really would love to see Warford on this team now.

Believe me, I want a dominant OLine. I'd love one. I just think it's easier to plug a hole at OG than it is at DE, and especially for this defensive scheme.

They clearly think he has the upside to provide more to this team than Warmack, and that's good enough for me. I'm excited for what this day will bring.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I just think it's easier to plug a hole at OG than it is at DE, and especially for this defensive scheme.

Confused
I really don't want to get into this...

Suffice to say this is contrary to a ton of posts you have made in the past.
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I just think it's easier to plug a hole at OG than it is at DE, and especially for this defensive scheme.

Confused

I remember those days Laughing
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:

Not quite every year but pretty much any year that there isnt a calvin johnson, suh, mario williams etc type player. If this class even had 1 "superstar" prospect people would grade it a lot higher.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

Not quite every year but pretty much any year that there isnt a calvin johnson, suh, mario williams etc type player. If this class even had 1 "superstar" prospect people would grade it a lot higher.

Alot of truth here.

I do feel later round guys are better than usual this year though. I think the quality players that will go in the 7rd this year is about equal to what went in the 5-6rd last year.
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

Alot of truth here.

I do feel later round guys are better than usual this year though. I think the quality players that will go in the 7rd this year is about equal to what went in the 5-6rd last year.

I agree with that for sure and id even say rounds 2 and 3 have excellent value too.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

Alot of truth here.

I agree with that for sure and id even say rounds 2 and 3 have excellent value too.

Yes, I agree from end of 1rd on, was just trying to use a clear example Smile
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Confused

What? No it isn't. I have said many times that it isn't hard to find a pass-rushing DE to have success in this scheme, and that's exactly my stance with Ansah: despite how raw he is, I still think he'll step in and be a productive player.

In the past, I never compared DE to OG. Truth be told, I think OG may be one of the easiest positions to fill on our roster.

Both viewpoints are perfectly reasonable: OG is easier to fill than DE, and finding a productive pass-rusher in this scheme isn't difficult.

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: