Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Reality of Jarvis "Dawg Bones" Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Woodley comes out and plays as unfit and unprepared as he did last season, his time with the Steelers will soon end. If he comes out and returns to his 'former glory' and stays healthy, he'll reassure his coaches and his fans that he deserved to wear the Hallowed Black and Gold.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than make a new thread, thought I'd drop this article in this thread. Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, and nothing groundbreaking, but one reporter's opinion on Jones as our 1st rd selection. Found it on NYTIMES Fifthdown Blog.

Quote:
Why Jarvis Jones Was Perfect Pick for Steelers by Andy Benoit

From a conceptual standpoint, Pittsburgh’s selection of the Georgia pass rusher Jarvis Jones might be the best pick in the 2013 N.F.L. draft. Just about every mock draft had Pittsburgh taking the Georgia pass rusher 17th over all (which is where he wound up). We have no idea if Jones will ultimately prove those mockers and Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert right. Many believe he will, but only time will tell.

What we do know is this pick is an illustration of the trust that the Steelers have in their process for evaluating and developing players. This trust is what makes them one of the game’s sterling franchises.

Colbert said hours after drafting Jones that he and his staff were happy when Jones ran a slow 4.9 in the 40 at his Pro Day. That’s because Colbert knows that there are N.F.L. teams that will drop a player down their draft boards for that.

Common sense suggests that how fast (or slow) a man runs 40 yards down a straight line while wearing spandex should have little bearing on how you feel about him as a football player. After all, what a 40-time can’t measure is how fast a player is when he’s wearing a five-pound helmet, 10-15 pounds of padding, starting his motion not from a runner’s crouch but an outside linebacker’s stance, changing directions in his movement all while being preoccupied with his assignment and with what his opponent is doing. Every team knows this. But for reasons no one will ever figure out, many teams can’t help letting times in the 40 sway their opinion about a player. The Steelers can.

If Jones becomes a Pro Bowler, Colbert will once again be praised for having a keen eye for talent. If Jones fails, Colbert will have “missed on the pick.” This is how fans and media types see the draft. It’s not how the Steelers see the draft, though. Colbert fully understands that Jones is not a finished product. No draft prospect ever is. (Heck, no human being in general coming out of college ever is.)

This is why the most important moment for a franchise is not the 10-minute window in which a first-round pick is made; it’s the gobs of 10-minute windows after the pick is made. That’s when the organization goes to work on developing the player. First-round busts are not talented players who got to the N.F.L. and suddenly became untalented; they’re players who got to the N.F.L. and did not develop.

The Steelers trust immensely in their ability to develop players. Jones appealed to them because, having played in a 3-4 scheme at Georgia that is similar to what - LeBeau runs in Pittsburgh, there was less guesswork in determining whether his skills will translate. This suggests that it’s less about Colbert’s and the Steelers’ keen eye for outside linebacking talent, and more about the organization’s keen sense for developing outside linebackers.

The better you are at developing players, the less of an investment you have to initially make when acquiring them. The Steelers did not have to trade up to draft the presumably more talented Dion Jordan from Oregon. They did not have to pay a boatload of money to acquire the free agent Paul Kruger. Their current top pass rusher, the former Pro Bowler LaMarr Woodley, was a second-round pick. James Harrison was undrafted. When Colbert was learning his trade as an up-and-coming front office talent during the Bill Cowher era, the Steelers developed mid-round picks Jason Gildon and Joey Porter into Pro Bowl outside linebackers.

What Colbert also understands is which needs are most important to his club. One could argue that the Steelers’ immediate need at outside linebacker is not as dire as their immediate needs at wide receiver, tight end or running back. But pass-rushing outside linebackers are vital in Pittsburgh’s 3-4 scheme and, as part of their trust in developing players, Colbert filled a looming need, as current starter Jason Worilds could be lost when his contract expires in March 2014. Thus, it’s not vital that Jones contribute right away, which makes his developmental process that much easier.

We hear all the time about a player being a “safe” pick. The great teams know how to turn a player into a safe pick.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward you need a link for that and you're not allowed to quote the entire article.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Ward you need a link for that and you're not allowed to quote the entire article.

I was told I "CAN'T" link blogs...now I'm being told I HAVE to link the blog...I'm so confused!!

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/29/why-jarvis-jones-was-perfect-pick-for-steelers/

Whatever...there it is...

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE PREDATOR

...you have a forum resume?
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:

I was told I "CAN'T" link blogs...now I'm being told I HAVE to link the blog...I'm so confused!!

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/29/why-jarvis-jones-was-perfect-pick-for-steelers/

Whatever...there it is...
you can link blogs. You just can't link to other message boards. When posting a blog or article, you can't post the entire article or that much of it.

You can quote the highlights you think are in the article, summarize the article and talk about your opinion of the article but you can't quote like 5+ paragraphs or all of the article.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 14 Jarvis Jones Sacks

Quick breakdown of all Jarvis Jones sacks. Mentioned in the article he doesn't seem to use a bull rush at all. I also noticed he didn't bend the corner and get small often either. He'll have to work on those things if he wants to be effective. Other then that he looks like a Steelers OLB.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching him really helps dismiss his 4.9 40 and workout numbers in general. His athleticism flashes whenever you watch him.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Watching him really helps dismiss his 4.9 40 and workout numbers in general. His athleticism flashes whenever you watch him.

Jarvis is instinctive and has good initial burst which is very important. But I guess his ability to run in shorts and T shirt out weigh what's on tape. Glad other had the same idea! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvis Jones coming out of college is not
a finished product. Under Keith Butler he ll be fine.
RandomHero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I don't really understand the combine. Why not put the guys in pads and helmets and make more drills that actually translate to the football field?!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomHero wrote:
That's why I don't really understand the combine. Why not put the guys in pads and helmets and make more drills that actually translate to the football field?!

The true & original intention of the combine was mostly for medical exams.

...you have a forum resume?
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
RandomHero wrote:

The true & original intention of the combine was mostly for medical exams.

They should really redo at least some things to reflect actual football. This isn't 1980's anymore the game has changed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:

Quick breakdown of all Jarvis Jones sacks. Mentioned in the article he doesn't seem to use a bull rush at all. I also noticed he didn't bend the corner and get small often either. He'll have to work on those things if he wants to be effective. Other then that he looks like a Steelers OLB.

basically reiterates what I wrote about him 3 months ago, but with some nice gif's
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

basically reiterates what I wrote about him 3 months ago, but with some nice gif's

I'd liken Jarvis Jones pass rush ability to Gerrit Cole pitching.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: