Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Reality of Jarvis "Dawg Bones" Jones
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: The Reality of Jarvis "Dawg Bones" Jones Reply with quote

I've done a little research on Jones and I thought y'all might appreciate an evaluation of Jones, beyond just that of a player but as a person. Obviously anything I have written here is swayed by my opinion and not fact. Enjoy!

Personal Life:

Jarvis Jones, Born/October 13, 1989, from Richland, Georgia. Helped lead his High School, Carver High School to the State Championship in 2007, ranked 59th best High School Player in the nation.

On January 9, 2005, Darcell Kitchens (Jarvis' older brother), was shot and killed outside of a bar during an argument, on his 19th birthday.

Following his brother's death, Jarvis began to sink into a downward spiral having problems at school, when he attended, fighting, etc. Eventually he got banned from attending school in Steward County. Later Jarvis finally found help, from an academic counselor for his basketball team, Shelley Stephens. Jarvis moved into her home and began attending Carver High School, with Ms. Stephens' help he was able to study and catch up on academics. Legal Guardianship was given to Ms. Stephens and Tony Adams (Jones' AAU basketball coach) by Gloria Dowdell, Jones' biological mother. To this day he refers to both Ms. Dowdell and Ms. Stephens as his mothers.

It was initially difficult to get Jarvis to even play football because he was such a standout player in basketball and, Kitchens, his brother, had played the sport with him. Obviously he did try out and for his first two seasons actually played Tight End. In 2007, as a Junior he was moved to Linebacker and in that season he recorded 157 Tackles (26 TFL), 4 Sacks, 2 Interceptions, & lead Carver High School to the State Championship. In his senior year he had 77 tackles and 4 Interceptions. That brings us to his College Football days:

College Career

2009: Played mostly Special Teams & Back Up Roles for USC before suffering a neck injury and being diagnosed with spinal stenosis. He never played another down for USC again. Medical staff would not clear him to play.

2010: Requested and was granted a release from USC, after a medical evaluation he joined the University of Georgia and per NCAA Rules was redshirted for the 2010 season.

2011: Started every game and recorded 70 tackles (19.5 TFL), 13.5 Sacks, 2 Forced Fumbles & 26 QB Hurries. First Team All-American.

2012: Played 12 Games, recorded 85 Tackles (24 TFL), 14.5 sacks, 1 Interception, 7 Forced Fumbles, & 2 Fumble recoveries, missed Florida Atlantic & Kentucky games. First team All-American and SEC Defensive Player of the Year.

Nicknamed "Dawg Bones" during his time at Georgia due to his bone-shattering tackles.

Professional Career

2013: Drafted by the Best team in the NFL at #17 Wink

Overview: Jarvis Jones knows adversity through tragedy. He has played the game of football with a chip on his shoulder since High School. He, as a person, understands and knows what it is like to make bad choices and what it takes to change as a person and follow the right path.

I don't think the Steelers could have drafted a better human being honestly. Jarvis is the perfect display of someone who is not perfect nor has he ever claimed to be, but has always worked hard and given his full effort to become the person he is today off of the football field.

On the football field, while sure, there are injury concerns, his production speaks for itself and it's existed consistently from the moment he started playing the Sport. There is one thing we can be sure of with Jarvis Jones, we are getting a workhorse, someone who will play with an attitude, with a chip on his shoulder, who will not need to find extra motivation because his life, his memories, and those he plays the game in honor of are his motivation.

Reading about Jarvis as person really makes me feel better about the selection in this draft. I've found myself in the past saying things about people like Michael Oher, "Why can't we ever draft a guy who knows the meaning of adversity". The Steelers did just that this season and while I highly doubt his tragedies and adversity had anything to do with the selection the man and the player he is, did. Of that I have no doubt and his life is, imo, the reason he is who he is.

**Information in this thread provided by articles found on ESPN and Wikipedia***

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
gatek99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg Bones, I like it

Now hopefully we have Dawg Bones, Timmons, Fake Girlfriend, and Woodley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatek99 wrote:
Dawg Bones, I like it

There are several quality ILBs to be had in the next 2-3 rounds. I wouldnt mind Te'o, but there are others I really like as well.
gatek99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
gatek99 wrote:
Dawg Bones, I like it

There are several quality ILBs to be had in the next 2-3 rounds. I wouldnt mind Te'o, but there are others I really like as well.

If Te'o is there, I want him

If he is gone, I rather wait on a LB due to us potentially getting a WR in Woods or Hunter or a RB in Lacy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatek99 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
gatek99 wrote:
Dawg Bones, I like it

If Te'o is there, I want him

If he is gone, I rather wait on a LB due to us potentially getting a WR in Woods or Hunter or a RB in Lacy

For some reason, I think the Ravens will try to trade up for either Te'o or Minter. They have alot of picks in the later rounds, and with McClain's situation, they cant hang their hat on him.
SouthwestSteel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to do that research and writeup! I just don't have the time like I used to so I really appreciate your efforts, and I have a better sense of just how hard he will work towards excellence.
gatek99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I hope this pans out and our OLB start getting some sacks again!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I had heard that Story about Jarvis Jones last year before their bowl game, I believe. Good stuff.

I'm excited about the selection

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bobikus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
gatek99 wrote:
Dawg Bones, I like it

I think Teo would be real good value at 48, but there's still a chance we have our pick on a lot of quality WRs too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only we can land Arthur Brown or Jamie Collins!! Then our LB core will be rebuilt for years to come.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
If only we can land Arthur Brown or Jamie Collins!! Then our LB core will be rebuilt for years to come.

Arthur Brown I get, but Jamie Collins? Is that if they kick Jones inside?
armsteeld

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

I feel Jamie Collins can be a better ILB than OLB. I like his stack and shed ability. He can cover and alongside Timmons, he can be a heat seeking missile. Give Jones the first shot to prove that he can be the go getter from OLB, if he can beat out Worilds.

Question: If we can get Collins or Arthur Brown, would you welcome trading Lamar Woodley?

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

I feel Jamie Collins can be a better ILB than OLB. I like his stack and shed ability. He can cover and alongside Timmons, he can be a heat seeking missile. Give Jones the first shot to prove that he can be the go getter from OLB, if he can beat out Worilds.

Question: If we can get Collins or Arthur Brown, would you welcome trading Lamar Woodley?

LMAO...no...I wouldnt even remotely entertain the notion.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

TROLOLOL we need Hibernation Queen on this team!!!
armsteeld

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

TROLOLOL we need Hibernation Queen on this team!!!

Huh? Could you elaborate?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: