Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

59th Overall: Patriots select Aaron Dobson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Richter wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
They both run on their toes, gradually shifting in and out of gear as a situation calls for it, playing off the defender to achieve maximum separation.

Wow, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I totally agree with NBT. The toe running really stands out too. They both love to run with a toe strike-heel strike motion early in their routes, so they can redirect quickly when they are going to break. Along with the slight outward turn of the foot while in full stride, that's where a lot of the similarity in appearance comes from.

This is a style of play, though. Dobson doesn't come close to Moss's speed. Dobson will never routinely abuse double coverage like Moss.

But, like Moss, Dobson should be lethal on double moves. He should excel on misdirection routes. But don't expect him to grit his teeth and take off like a rocket like Moss would do when he decided to.

Awesome, so were getting the 2007-2009 version of Moss??

When Moss joined the Patriots he was a 4.40 flat guy at best, he wasn't the 4.2 guy from early in his career, and as we know Moss was of those seasons [2007-2009] was incredible.
Tom Brady Tribute
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, we're not getting 2007s Randy Moss. Moss was smarter than Dobson, played with FAR more confidence than Dobson, was taller and had significantly better top speed.

Dobson is a bit quicker now than Moss was then, though.

Billy Spikes wrote:
When Moss joined the Patriots he was a 4.40 flat guy at best

wut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyZpPAzHUKE&t=0m12s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyZpPAzHUKE&t=7m54s

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143103

He ran a 4.29 in front of Belichick.

I dont want to hijack the thread, but Moss was faster 4.2 early in his career. I would bet Moss runs under a 4.4 right now. His straight line speed is still awesome. 40 times don't even do Moss justice, though. His top speed was tracked at 26 MPH n 2009 on SNF, which is like a 3.75 40 times. In his prime, his top speed was a bit faster than 26. Laughing
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, without "hijacking the thread", the Moss that joined the Patriots was noticeably slower than the Moss of the Vikings.

And obviously, he was still great.
Tom Brady Tribute
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Well, without "hijacking the thread", the Moss that joined the Patriots was noticeably slower than the Moss of the Vikings.

I know. He ran a 4.29 as opposed to the 4.15 he ran in 2001 training camp. Moss today probably runs a 4.40 ish.

But, we ARE probably getting the most physically gifted receiver Brady has ever had NOT named Moss. Wink That includes guys like Stallworth, Brown, Givens, etc.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
I think Richters point is even more obvious if you watch clips of Moss when he was coming into the draft per ESPN

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjS_nBsuRWE
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZAf1QUfqCY

Are you Antonio Orellana?
Tom Brady Tribute
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If history is any indication, Marshall receivers under Belichick have had a lot of success.
Tom Brady Tribute
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bet Dobson runs slants verrry similar, only without the uncanny Usain Bolt impression at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxnOS89wGdY

Billy Spikes wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
I think Richters point is even more obvious if you watch clips of Moss when he was coming into the draft per ESPN

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjS_nBsuRWE
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZAf1QUfqCY

Are you Antonio Orellana?

Laughing I feel dumb for knowing who that is, but no.

^that is the best jlaw sig
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
If history is any indication, Marshall receivers under Belichick have had a lot of success.

Moss was already a star in the league and Troy Brown had already become a useful player. I don't know that we can draw too many conclusions from either of them. Was there someone I'm forgetting?
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

Moss was already a star in the league and Troy Brown had already become a useful player. I don't know that we can draw too many conclusions from either of them. Was there someone I'm forgetting?

You really don't need to look too much into that comment, i was just joking, i really don't believe that the fact Dobson is from Marshall makes him more or less likely to have success under Belichick
Tom Brady Tribute
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

You really don't need to look too much into that comment, i was just joking, i really don't believe that the fact Dobson is from Marshall makes him more or less likely to have success under Belichick

Ah ok. I had heard a few people (including Mayock I think) say similar things and thought maybe I was overlooking someone.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

Ah ok. I had heard a few people (including Mayock I think) say similar things and thought maybe I was overlooking someone.

After checking, Belichick never coached any player from Marshall [on an official final roster], regardless of position other than Troy Brown, Randy Moss and punter Chris Hanson.
Tom Brady Tribute
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

After checking, Belichick never coached any player from Marshall [on an official final roster], regardless of position other than Troy Brown, Randy Moss and punter Chris Hanson.

Jermaine Wiggins
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

Jermaine Wiggins

His college is listed as Georgia everywhere, it's where he finished his college career after transferring from Marshall.
Tom Brady Tribute
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

Jermaine Wiggins

His college is listed as Georgia everywhere, it's where he finished his college career after transferring from Marshall.

He still played at Marshall for two years and played under Belichick. Wink
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

Jermaine Wiggins

He still played at Marshall for two years and played under Belichick. Wink

Barely Laughing
Tom Brady Tribute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: