Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

59th Overall: Patriots select Aaron Dobson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoWww wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
I just hope he doesn't pull a Ochocinco and we find out he's illiterate... if he isn't, i think we got a very good pick.

I'm pretty sure Belichick has said he's a pretty smart kid. Thought I saw that somewhere.

I'm sure Belichick thought Chad was smart too until he actually started to work with him Laughing
Tom Brady Tribute
Sciz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
I'm sure Belichick thought Chad was smart too until he actually started to work with him Laughing
Well Chad wasn't just dumb. He also had a lot of personal problems going on, as we started to find out later.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld says Dobson has a reputation for picking up offenses quickly. The Globe says the Patriots view him as the smartest receiver in this draft and will win the starting X job hands down.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
Rotoworld says Dobson has a reputation for picking up offenses quickly. The Globe says the Patriots view him as the smartest receiver in this draft and will win the starting X job hands down.

For those of us here that don't quite get the jargon, other "x" types either on our team or the league just so I have a better idea of where this guy projects. Thanks

AAP-Chandler Jones-12 tkls, 2 sax, 1 FF & 1 TD
Wk 2 AFC POTW
Richter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

For those of us here that don't quite get the jargon, other "x" types either on our team or the league just so I have a better idea of where this guy projects. Thanks

X is usually the split end (guy who splits out wide opposite the tight end), Z is the flanker, and Y is either the slot guy or the tight end. The big, fast guys tend to be split ends and are thus Xs, Zs tend to work closer to the line of scrimmage and are often shiftier guys and good route runners. Z receivers also don't line up on the line of scrimmage, so they don't face the same issues with being jammed, which is why, despite Dobson's prototype size, I think he may start as a flanker initially.
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:

That's good because our playbook has a history of breaking WRs who have excelled elsewhere.

Wk 2 AFC POTW
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching some more tape I have noticed a few things.

He seems to be fairly prone to mental lapses a la not knowing where he is on the field or the turn to run before completing the catch.

His hands may have been a little exaggerated initially here

His YAC ability seems slightly limited, he can run past people but as far as moves in open space it isn't his forte.

His QB at Marshall STARED HIM DOWN and did him zero favors. Im excited to see what he is capable of with a competent QB who won't stare at him the entire play. Im legitimately surprised he was ever able to get separation when all the DB's knew where to shade their coverage.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
Anxious Yea you're right, I apologize for the cranky overreaction last night. My bad.

Word. Its all good. Just don't like people putting my boy Billy Spikes down (or anyone for that matter) for trying to post all available information

ELRammy
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW:

Quote:
Dobson, Collins very highly rated. BB might have finally gotten 1 right at WR. MT @Vec18: @caplannfl Not a fan of the Pats draft...

https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/328567768498724864

Quote:
Dobson, for his size, can move. Very highly rated WR. Trust me. RT @vincebove9: @caplannfl Dobson over Allen Wheaton and Patton and bailey?

https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/328570475020181504
Tom Brady Tribute
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McShay said the same thing on ESPN when discussing the AFC east picks. Said BB may have finally gotten that WR thru the draft they have been trying to find. I am ecstatic for Dobson and see how he is used. Hey Billy I see on twitter some players #'s coming out, if you hear of our will you update us please?

Wk 2 AFC POTW
Richter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, this is going to sound exceedingly trite, but watching his film, Dobson reminds me of Randy Moss. Not as a receiver necessarily, nor is he the same caliber of athlete, but his lower body build, the way he moves, his body control in tight quarters are all reminiscent. I hadn't watched much of him (or any receivers, aside from the few guys I already liked), but now that I am, it's kind of uncanny, with him attending Marshall and all. At the Senior Bowl practices, the way he taps his toes when making a move, the hip rotation when he's breaking inside to catch a quick slant, the long striding down the field; they all look like Moss. Very similar gait while running, too.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:
Hey Billy I see on twitter some players #'s coming out, if you hear of our will you update us please?

Of course. Cool
Tom Brady Tribute
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
You know, this is going to sound exceedingly trite, but watching his film, Dobson reminds me of Randy Moss. Not as a receiver necessarily, nor is he the same caliber of athlete, but his lower body build, the way he moves, his body control in tight quarters are all reminiscent. I hadn't watched much of him (or any receivers, aside from the few guys I already liked), but now that I am, it's kind of uncanny, with him attending Marshall and all. At the Senior Bowl practices, the way he taps his toes when making a move, the hip rotation when he's breaking inside to catch a quick slant, the long striding down the field; they all look like Moss. Very similar gait while running, too.

T-Minus 1 hour until NBT reads this and explodes.
Tom Brady Tribute
patsfan06

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Richter wrote:

T-Minus 1 hour until NBT reads this and explodes.

Can't be. He isn't Cordarrelle Patterson.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:

The biggest similarity that I have seen is the leaping catch. They both do that thing where they throw there legs up and stick their but into the defender

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: