Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Patriots Forum NFL Draft - Day 2 Discussion Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roachkiller wrote:
Danny Amendola
Michael Jenkins
Matt Slater
Donald Jones
Julian Edelman
Aaron Dobson

Wow....I dont know if there's a worst WR core in the NFL. I will pray every day and night that Gronk and Hernany stay healthy.

Why are you separating the wide receivers out from the tight ends? In this day and age in the NFL you need to look at the receiving core as a whole. Gone are the day when you needed three all pro-wide receivers because the tight end is a converted tackle who only comes in on running downs.
BP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochise wrote:
I'm not a sky is falling guy at all. It is kind of frustrating though. I was moderately ok with the trade but skeptical about what the Pats could do with the extra 3rd and 4th. Looking back, the Pats could have had ANY WR they wanted not named Austin if they stayed at 29 and just taken Collins at 59. Instead they traded 29 for Dobson and Harmon. Who knows, maybe Dobson was their top WR but it seems like a bad trade to me.
I think Dobson was their third or fourth highest rated wide receiver behind Tavon Austin and potentially Justin Hunter and Robert Woods. d'oh!
cochise

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
cochise wrote:
I'm not a sky is falling guy at all. It is kind of frustrating though. I was moderately ok with the trade but skeptical about what the Pats could do with the extra 3rd and 4th. Looking back, the Pats could have had ANY WR they wanted not named Austin if they stayed at 29 and just taken Collins at 59. Instead they traded 29 for Dobson and Harmon. Who knows, maybe Dobson was their top WR but it seems like a bad trade to me.
I think Dobson was their third or fourth highest rated wide receiver behind Tavon Austin and potentially Justin Hunter and Robert Woods. d'oh!

If thats the case, it looks like a bad trade to me. Although who they pick in the 4th is part of the trade too. Just seems to me if they indeed liked Hunter, why not just take him. He was not dropping to 52. I can see the Pats thinking Woods might be there at 52 but not Hunter.
BP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochise wrote:
BP wrote:
cochise wrote:

If thats the case, it looks like a bad trade to me. Although who they pick in the 4th is part of the trade too. Just seems to me if they indeed liked Hunter, why not just take him. He was not dropping to 52. I can see the Pats thinking Woods might be there at 52 but not Hunter.
Another couple of possibilities could be that they coveted Tyler Eifert or DeAndre Hopkins with that 29 pick. Think
mission27

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochise wrote:
BP wrote:
cochise wrote:

Yeah but they didn't take a receiver at 52 either. Maybe their guy didn't drop. I suspect, though, that priority #1 was always the pass rush. Who knows? Maybe they take Collins at 29 and Dobson at 59 and we lose out on three extra picks.

Of course, it's easy to sit here and say they could have grabbed Hunter/Paterson and taken Collins at 59. But maybe Collins gets taken between 52 and 59. And we can't just write-off Harmon and whoever gets picked in a couple of hours.

Bottom line: it was a good value trade and we ended up with three really promising/exciting prospects at our biggest need positions, plus an extra pick in day three. I think it worked out.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am supremely confident Taylor Swift would date me if we ever met.

#JDI
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mission27 wrote:
cochise wrote:
BP wrote:
cochise wrote:

Yeah but they didn't take a receiver at 52 either. Maybe their guy didn't drop. I suspect, though, that priority #1 was always the pass rush. Who knows? Maybe they take Collins at 29 and Dobson at 59 and we lose out on three extra picks.

Of course, it's easy to sit here and say they could have grabbed Hunter/Paterson and taken Collins at 59. But maybe Collins gets taken between 52 and 59. And we can't just write-off Harmon and whoever gets picked in a couple of hours.

Bottom line: it was a good value trade and we ended up with three really promising/exciting prospects at our biggest need positions, plus an extra pick in day three. I think it worked out.

Agree wholeheartedly with that assesment of our trade and subsequent picks. I really like our picks thus far.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a bad trade, especially considering the picks we ended up making were almost all reaches. Impact is more important than value.

The immediate and long term impact of the players we could have drafted trumps the immediate and long term impacts of the players we ended up getting.

Had we taken CP or Hunter, I think our offense breaks the scoring record. We still get Collins with our 2nd rounder and the corner with our 3rd rounder. Maybe we miss out on this crap safety, oh no.
It is basically choosing between:

-Patterson/Hunter at 29, Collins at 59, and Ryan in the 3rd.

or

-Dobson, Collins, Ryan, Harmon, and the 7th rounder.

It was a dumb trade at the time and looks even worse in hindsight, IMO. Traded away from pure talent to reach on other talents makes no sense.
"A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear"
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No guarantee that Collins would have made it to 59.

Deadpulse on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37
Page 37 of 37

Jump to: