Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rams Prospect Profile: LB Alec Ogletree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Rams Prospect Profile: LB Alec Ogletree Reply with quote

Alec Ogletree (6'3 / 242) - Georgia

Combine Results:

-33.48 inch arm length
- 4.70 forty time
- 20 reps of 225lbs. bench
- 33.5 inch vertical leap
- 122 inch broad jump

Analysis:

Quote:
Strengths: Tremendously well built, Ogletree definitely looks the part of an NFL linebacker. Once he identifies a running play he gets started towards the ball carrier fast, gets to full speed quickly and has elite chase speed to track down plays in pursuit. He has the strength to hold ground versus blockers, can shed and makes tackle. Very smooth and agile, he moves through traffic easily and can avoid blockers surprisingly well. Quick in his pass drops, Ogletree looks natural moving and adjusting out in space. He reads the QB/Pass well, plants, drives and closes fast and has the ball skills to make a play on the ball. Not only effective in zone coverage, he consistently covers TE's/RB's well all over the field in man coverage. He has the combination of skills to be effective playing any linebacker position in any defensive scheme, which adds to his value. Early in his career at Georgia he was an excellent special teams player, so he should be excellent on teams in NFL.

Weaknesses: Ogletree does not consistently read and react to running plays fast. While he usually gets started towards the ball carrier quickly and correctly, he does take false steps more than he should and this is something NFL team can expose so he must improve in this area. Additionally, Ogletree does not sense/feel blocks from the side coming and can often be sealed out of the play by them. More of an issue is that Ogletree has been in trouble two times at Georgia, which raises concerns about his character - As a freshmen he was arrested for theft and suspended for one game and as a junior he was suspended for reportedly failing a drug test. Additionally, his foot needs to check out medically as he missed the first six games of the 2011 season after breaking a bone in his foot during fall training camp.

*taken from SI/NFL Draft Scout

My Take:

Ogletree has immense talent, but a lot of off the field issues. That doesn't stop Snead and Fisher from taking a chance on a player with this kind of talent. He has the size and speed you like and is very adept in coverage. He's the rangy, athletic OLB we've been missing. He'll be able to step in from day one and secure the weakside spot...

I love that we were able to move back eight spots, pick up some extra picks and still land a top twenty talent...

Grade: A-

TommyC376 on the sig...
LGB-Let's Go Blues!!!
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we still had Spagnola or even Martz as a head coach I'd worry about these draft pick with off the field issues. Guy plays fast and it's definitely a position of need.

Sig courtesy of SJax39

Adopt a Ram
Sam Bradford
159-262 1687 yards 14 TD 4 INT
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVRamsFan wrote:
If we still had Spagnola or even Martz as a head coach I'd worry about these draft pick with off the field issues. Guy plays fast and it's definitely a position of need.
Ive said it before, from people Ive talked to about him, the off the field issues with Ogletree are completely overblown.

Now, the DWI stuff isnt excusable, that was dumb and on him. Needs to stop that kind of stuff. But the other stuff from 2 years ago, from what Ive heard, he was just hanging with the wrong crowd, and got wrapped up in something he wasnt really involved in.

Guy is going to take our defense to the next level.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ive said for some time now, im not crazy about Ogletree but i definitely see the reasoning and especially the value at 30. He should help TREMENDOUSLY against the read option offenses we face.

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Greg Robinson
3. Mike Evans
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
NVRamsFan wrote:
Ive said it before, from people Ive talked to about him, the off the field issues with Ogletree are completely overblown.

Now, the DWI stuff isnt excusable, that was dumb and on him. Needs to stop that kind of stuff. But the other stuff from 2 years ago, from what Ive heard, he was just hanging with the wrong crowd, and got wrapped up in something he wasnt really involved in.

Agree 100%, I'm just stating the coaching staff now makes me not worry about these minor things. I don't think previous coaches could have or would have been able to keep players out of trouble. Spagnola made a point of not drafting somebody with any hint of off field issues.

Sig courtesy of SJax39

Adopt a Ram
Sam Bradford
159-262 1687 yards 14 TD 4 INT
RamBill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBSSports.com panel reacts to the selection of Alec Ogletree. Pete Prisco and Will Brinson recognize Ogletree’s talent but are concerned by his character. They both see the Rams defense as being formidable. Prisco grades the pick a B-

http://www.rams-news.com/cbssports-com-reactions-to-rams-pick-of-alxce-ogletree-video/
Jonezy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alec will be number 52

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a while back, this is what I had on Ogletree.

Quote:
ALEC OGLETREE, OLB, GEORGIA

Height: 6'2" Weight: 242 pounds
Stats: 111 TACK, 11.5 TFL, 3 SACK, 5 QBH, 1 FF, 1 INT, 5 PBU

Vitals: 4.70 Forty | 7.16 Cone | 4.39 Shuttle | 33.5" Vertical | 10'2" Broad | 20 Bench
33.50" Arms | 10.00" Hands

Strengths: Has a terrific frame with thickness, athletic qualities, and length. Even has the ability to put on a little bit more weight if need be. Has a lot of length potential, especially when it comes to shedding blockers. Impressive athleticism in terms of straight line speed, chase down ability, and overall flexibility. Does not look tight in the hips for a linebacker and can definitely cover. Converted from safety which makes him a versatile weapon for NFL teams. Is excellent when he is able to play through the open gaps and attack the ball-carrier. Possesses the ability to play downhill and make solid, strong tackles in the hole. Also has the lateral agility to make plays from sideline to sideline. Will live in the backfield if given even the slightest of openings. Does have the strength and length to stack and shed effectively. Looks completely natural in coverage, with the foot quickness and instinctive ability to cover consistently. Matches up with tight ends perfectly, showing physicality and natural coverage ability. Will be a weapon when manning up against backs. Has a lot of pop in his game, especially while making tackles. A potential game-breaking type of player who can create fumbles and intercept passes.

Weaknesses: Struggled to find consistency in his game throughout the year. Still learning the linebacker position and doesn't like quite comfortable enough to be effective at the next level. Although athletic, it would be nice to see what he could do if he had a more consistent motor. Against the run, he seems to get discouraged when blockers eat him out of plays through the hole. Will need to learn how to utilize his power and length to effectively evade and shed blocks. Takes way too many false steps when diagnosing the play which puts him in bad spots. Tends to get flat footed instead of staying on his toes. Is hesitant to hit the hole hard at times, causing him to get flushed out of the play by the attacking lineman. Will make mistakes on play fakes in coverage. Needs to work on his pad level, especially when making tackles. Needs to get lower and drive his legs through the opponent.

Overall: On a very talented Georgia defense, it could be argued that Ogletree was the most important player on the field for a majority of games. There is really no doubting his talent, but some concerns about his mentality and inability to fight through blockers will give him trouble moving forward. For that reason, teams may back away from him depending on their scheme. In my view, Ogletree would thrive as a roaming linebacker who doesn't have to worry about eating up blockers too often. In a 4-3, he could be a good weak-side backer with the athleticism to match up with just about any offensive player on the field. In coverage, he will be able to defend tight ends and running backs at a high level. His play on the field may not be worth an extremely high pick, but he projects well considering teams can fix his deficiencies with some coaching. I think that Ogletree will be a play-maker, but may not have the consistency from week to week as other players do.

Draft Grade: Mid 3rd, BB (76)

My NFL Draft Thread
dawgsfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tree is a heck of a ball player. I think you'll love seeing how good he is in coverage and he closes sooo fast.

occassionally he WILL get blown up in the middle..but then he'll come right back and lay the wood the next play.

he's relatively new to ILB..he'll only improve. Good luck!

Texasmade wrote: Your reading comprehension skills would embarrass a potatoe.
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgsfan wrote:
Tree is a heck of a ball player. I think you'll love seeing how good he is in coverage and he closes sooo fast.

occassionally he WILL get blown up in the middle..but then he'll come right back and lay the wood the next play.

he's relatively new to ILB..he'll only improve. Good luck!

He won't be playing ILB for us, but yes, he is a bit raw still.

St.Louis Rams D-Coordinator FFMD
El ramster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man reminds me of Will Witherspoon and he was a beast in here.

"Hot Pie" -House Hot Pie, All hail the King.
bigKev2011

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
NVRamsFan wrote:

He was in college not that thats an excuse for a "public" figure such as himself but lets face it he is still young and I know from being in college its easy to make the dumb decisions when you're with your friends and I think that a little dose of the stache and he will be just fine he will pan out and grow up with fisher as his coach but a dwi in college and smoking pot dumb choices yes but something that happens in most college students lives he just happened to get caught.
RamBill

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclusive Interview with Rams first round draft pick Alec Ogletree. He talks about what it was like on draft night and what he brings to the Rams (2:22)

http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/Under_the_Lights_Alec_Ogletree/8edd386d-a8e1-43fb-a740-1f51553b22b8
RamBill

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Alec Ogletree Rookie Profile --Video Reply with quote

Alec Ogletree Rookie Profile

Follow the Rams30th overall pick through his first Rookie Mini Camp. (3:09)

http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/Alec-Ogletree-Rookie-Profile/92196ab1-54ac-438d-86bf-d10c3421ae0c
IAmPacman

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys made a great pick with this guy...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: