Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pickett and Raji show up out of shape and overweight
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kampman74

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Pickett and Raji show up out of shape and overweight Reply with quote

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-badly-in-need-of-linemen-md9mp7g-204614021.html

Quote:
Ryan Pickett, 33, and entering his 13th season, is nearing the end. He reported two weeks ago overweight and out of shape.

B.J. Raji will be entering his contract year, but you sure wouldn't have known it by his conditioning. He has looked as sloppy as Pickett, and at this juncture his employment beyond this season is uncertain.

Not sure if this is normal for the bigs, but figured make a topic and see what you guys think. There is still a ton of time to get back into shape before anything really OTAs. But again, are you guys concerned, worried, loling?
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more concerned about Pickett than Raji. Pickett is rather expensive and bounced back a bit last year after being a liability in 2011. As ominous as this may sound, I believe his days in Green Bay may be numbered.
Willink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too concerning. It's the start of training not the season, pretty much fear mongering on Mcginn's part.

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
spilltray

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willink wrote:
Not too concerning. It's the start of training not the season, pretty much fear mongering on Mcginn's part.

yup pretty much... Big men are pretty much ALWAYS a bit "out of shape" this time of year.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
motorcycle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest after a season is one of the most important things a player can do. Obviously 300+ pound players are going to be in worse shape before training starts.

I think McGinn only mentioned it to help his argument that we need a d-lineman.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Willink wrote:

yup pretty much... Big men are pretty much ALWAYS a bit "out of shape" this time of year.

They're always out of shape. You can't be that big and in shape. McGinn just being a peice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what off season workouts are for. Nothing to be alarmed about here at all unless they come to camp out of shape and are not cleared to start day 1.
RCobb18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worried about it at all they still have a lot of time to get back in shape for training camp and the OTA's. Now if this happened when they reported for camp then I would be concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the fats ever really get into shape hahahaha. Good thing they have off season training. Both big guys likely needed some serious rest even the Pick played allot of snaps last year.
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't put any weight in this article. It's dubious at best when weights aren't mentioned and nobody is quoted. He quotes an unnamed undefined "executive". That's a 100% red flag of someone being hounded by an editor for a story. Big guys tend to put on weight in the offseason, and to make things even more hilarious, could anyone really tell by glancing at Raji or Pickett whether they put on weight or not? Their weights fluctuate so much anyway...

Plus, given that we now have hindsight, his whole premise is silly now. The Pack took a guy who had surgery on his foot - which goes against his thesis.
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willink wrote:

Yup.

Has there been anything those two have done during their Packer careers that would suggest they all of the sudden are going to get lazy and not care?

Nope.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
Ronald323

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickett is a big man already i wonder how much he put on, imo he needs to be cut
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, if you show up for off-season conditioning in need of conditioning that's pretty much normal, isn't it?

Between the end of the season and the start of the offseason program, these guys are on vacation.
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Really, if you show up for off-season conditioning in need of conditioning that's pretty much normal, isn't it?

Between the end of the season and the start of the offseason program, these guys are on vacation.

Not quite that long but you're definitely right. This is a huge non story for two guys who know our system well and have had no past issues at all.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
fritz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, those paragraphs on Raji, Pick and Jolly in McGinn's article bothered me all day yesterday, especially when juxtaposed against a recent Detroit News article I read in which Nick Fairley was described as coming in in fantastic shape, and being hungry.

Raji's in a contract year, Pickett knows he's nearing the end and could be cut, and Jolly needs to be a boy scout on a mission, yet all three came in out of shape and overweight? Aren't they hungry for anything more than another Big Mac?

But then I wondered if McGinn was given this information by a source, or if he saw for himself. If, as one poster above suggests, he was given this by a source, then I start to question the story. This is for two reasons: one, the source could have been feeding McGinn misinformation so teams might think the Packers would be looking specifically for a defensive tackl type, or two, McGinn's new narrative about the Packers being paranoid about avoiding injured players turns out to be untrue, as Datone Jones had surgery on his foot in 2010.

So now I don't know what to think at all, except that if it's true, it's at least somewhat troubling to me. If anyone should be on a mission this year, it's those three.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: