Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rams Prospect Profile: WR Tavon Austin
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Rams Prospect Profile: WR Tavon Austin Reply with quote

Every year myself and Chris00cm do these to to shed light on the Rams selections in the draft. It just gives some more in-sight to the pick and what we can expect....

So without further a due...

WR Tavon Austin (5'9 / 174) - West Virginia

Combine Results:

- 30.08 inch arm length
- 9.18 inch hands
- 4.34 forty time
- 14 reps of 225 lbs. on bench
- 32 inch vertical leap
-120 inch broad jump

Analysis:

Quote:
Strengths: One of the most explosive players in the country, Austin has the rare athletic tools to be a game changing player in the NFL. Quick off ball into route and explosive out of his cuts, Austin is easily able to gain separation from man coverage. Not only does he get separation with a burst out of his cuts, but he has the elite playing speed to pull away and get separation on deep routes. When defenses try to protect deep by playing zone, Austin has a good feel for finding open spots. Fearless heading into traffic, Austin does not peek at the defense and consistently catches the ball right before getting hit. Soft, natural hands combine with excellent concentration so that he catches nearly every pass thrown his way (In the games evaluated he caught over 95% of passes thrown to him). Austin is able to catch passes that get on top of him quickly because he gets his head and hands around fast when he comes out of cuts. Quick getting started up the field after the catch, Austin is naturally instinctive running in the open field. He follows blockers well, can make explosive cuts off their blocks and has the elusiveness to easily make tacklers miss in the open field. In addition to being a big play threat as a receiver, he is as dangerous as a punt and kickoff returner, which only increases his value.

Weaknesses: Obviously, the big issue is that at just over 5'8 Austin lacks the size NFL teams prefer. Historically, NFL teams shy away from drafting even the best receivers who measure under 5'9, so Austin could slide into the second or third round despite being a premier prospect. Not asked to run a wide variety of routes at West Virginia, Austin will have to become more polished running the entire route tree.

*taken from SI/NFLDraftScout

My Take:

Austin is the guy most of us have been clamoring for some time now. We paid a pretty good price to move up and grab him at #8, but I think he's well worth the risk...

He's not just a slot receiver like some seem to think, he can be lined up all over the field (including the backfield) and will be an absolute nightmare matchup for NFL defenses. He's one of the most explosive and dynamic players eith the ball in his hands to come out over the recent past. He's also a force in the return game, another area we've been horrendous in. He'll give our offense something we've desperately been missing; a true playmaker on offense and in the return game...

Grade: A-

IDOG_det on the sig...
Jonezy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can players wear #1 in the NFL? N00b question, I know. But if not I think he gets 11...

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonezy wrote:
Can players wear #1 in the NFL? N00b question, I know. But if not I think he gets 11...

Nope. I see either 11 or 12 to be his number but you never know, i never would have guessed that Quick would have been 83

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Jameis Winston
3. Brett Hundley
Riftt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Jonezy wrote:

Nope. I see either 11 or 12 to be his number but you never know, i never would have guessed that Quick would have been 83

I'm pretty confident Cam Newton is number 1...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riftt wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
Jonezy wrote:

WRs can't wear no.1, only numbers in the teens and 80s I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riftt wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
Jonezy wrote:

QBs & Kickers/Punters can wear single digits thats it.

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Jameis Winston
3. Brett Hundley
ramsfan55

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjab360 wrote:
Riftt wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
Jonezy wrote:

WRs can't wear no.1, only numbers in the teens and 80s I believe.

DeSean Jackson is #10??
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Really?...

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Jameis Winston
3. Brett Hundley
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
^ Really?...
Yea, Single Digits are for QBs, Punters and Kickers. Thats it. QBs can also wear 10-19

Wideouts can wear 10-19 and then 80-89

Halfbacks (RB & FB) can go 20-49

And I believe TEs can go 40-49 & 80-89
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations so far guys, you had a killer first round. Austin really scares me. Your'e building a pretty salty defense as well. Good luck the rest of the way.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so awesome

Jeff Darlington wrote:
Last week, Rams took their QBs to W. Virginia to throw to Tavon. Fisher stopped workout after 2 throws to tell QBs to stop smiling so much.
El ramster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a sig.

BBL

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
maladeen3917

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
I made a sig.

dibs to this, plz and thank you
keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my prospect profile that I wrote up in my thread. Agreeable on all counts.

Quote:
TAVON AUSTIN, WR, WEST VIRGINIA

Height: 5'8" Weight: 174 pounds
Stats: 114 REC, 1289 YDS, 11.3 YPC, 12 TD | 72 ATT, 643 YDS, 8.9 YPC, 3 TD

Vitals: 4.34 Forty | 4.01 Shuttle | 32" Vertical | 10'0" Broad | 14 Bench
30.00" Arms | 9.13" Hands

Strengths: One of the fastest players in the draft with supreme breakaway ability. Also possesses elite foot quickness to go along with elite change of direction ability. Can literally turn his speed on and off in the blink of an eye. His first step and burst are exceptional even for the professional level. Does damage when the ball is in his hands as he works well in open space. Remarkably elusive with the hip wiggle and creativity to make defenders miss when they are around him. Has shown some surprisingly good traits as a running back. Is patient, follows his blocks, and can turn the corner with the best of them. Actually grades out pretty positively when it comes to blocking. Shows the effort on bigger defenders and always keeps his legs moving. Can be a dynamic option as he can play multiple different positions on the offensive side. Also very valuable as a return man. Plays bigger than his size.

Weaknesses: Small and possibly injury prone at the next level. Will always have below average strength. Will mostly go down on first contact when the defender has a beat on him. Limited to the slot receiver as he is simply too small to be put on the edge. Not a natural hands catcher and this could lead to problems down the road. Although he doesn't necessarily have bad hands, he definitely has limitations and inconsistencies with them. Caught going east/west or backwards too much. Needs to learn when to take yards and when not to. Somewhat limited to routes underneath and not really too much of a deep threat.

Overall: This day in age, speed kills. Lucky for Tavon Austin, he has lots of it. It would not be surprising at all to see Austin selected as the first receiver off the board because of this. As one of the fastest players in this draft, Austin was also very productive during his college career. Playing in the high octane West Virginia offense, he was utilized as a running back, receiver, and return man. This should prove to be a positive for Austin also. I think that all these traits will give Austin a great chance to succeed. The real question is whether or not he can stay on the field. With his small frame, it wouldn't be surprising to see injuries. Hopefully not, because his physical traits are tremendous.

Draft Grade: Late 1st, BB (30)

My NFL Draft Thread
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else really excited to play with Tavon in the upcoming madden?

Definitely curious to see the ratings for both Austin and Ogletree.

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Jameis Winston
3. Brett Hundley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: