Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dion Jordan: DE or OLB?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What position will Dion Jordan play in Miami?
Outside Linebacker
39%
 39%  [ 11 ]
Defensive End
60%
 60%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 28

TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Dion Jordan: DE or OLB? Reply with quote

After sleeping off last night's booze session in which I assumed Jordan would play DE for us, I'm thinking now he'll play OLB as our Von Miller. What do you guys think? Will he play on the other side of Wake on most downs? Or LB? Dion Jordan is pretty good in coverage against Tight Ends and can be used as a pass rusher on blitzes.

Nacho Simulation Football League
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had shoulder surgery and cannot lift, thus adding weight is difficult for him right now. IMO he is an OLB/pass rusher right now, and next season he shifts to DE. There is no need at DE now with Vernon/Odrick. Next year we lose one of the DT, slide Odrick in, roll with Jordan/Wake/Vernon at DE

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not both?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Why not both?

Probably will be somewhat of a hybrid. Just want to know what he'll be labeled as on the official depth chart.

Does anyone notice how his measurables are similar to Von Miller, though?

Jordan: 6 ft 6 in, 248 lbs, 4.60 40 yard dash, 32.5 in vert
Miller: 6 ft 3 in, 246 lbs, 4.53 40 yard dash, 37 in vert

Nacho Simulation Football League
FrozenPhinsFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about Von Miller as soon as we picked him.

And then I wondered if maybe with Wheeler capable of some pass rush , that they might want to use him as the 4-3 OLB that does some rushing and keep Jordan at DE. PFF had Wheeler as the second best 4-3 OLB in pass rush last season ( I presume Miller was a clear cut #1.)

PFF has him as a clear bookend to Wake on the D line... I probably put to much cred on that site lol.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/04/25/fantasy-impact-miami-dolphins-select-dion-jordan/
bpastermack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Why not both?

Probably will be somewhat of a hybrid. Just want to know what he'll be labeled as on the official depth chart.

Does anyone notice how his measurables are similar to Von Miller, though?

Jordan: 6 ft 6 in, 248 lbs, 4.60 40 yard dash, 32.5 in vert
Miller: 6 ft 3 in, 246 lbs, 4.53 40 yard dash, 37 in vert

Von Miller was a little more of a freak athlete. And I'm not sure Jordan has the quick hips to really cover in space as effectively as people think. I do think he will do a little of both, but at the end of the day, they want him rushing the passer as much as possible and I think they are going to bulk him up to play DE or a 3-4 OLB, which I still think is a possibility. He isn't near as valuable in coverage as he is rushing the passer. He is not Von Miller. Jason Taylor is a much better comparable.

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't rule out OLB, but I think that he's got to be primarily a pass rusher at DE at the end of the day, otherwise the pick makes little sense.
Pickle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he'll play DE and stand up a few times, his athleticism will allow us to play him all over the field.

Sig: Ivana001
Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the reasons you guys drafted him was to cover NEs great TEs. He's great in coverage...and at everything else.

Oregon RB Tracker
Marshall: 306 rush yds(8.3), 521 rec yds(13.7), 5 TDs
Tyner: 279 rush yds(4.2), 65 rec yds(7.2), 2 TDs
Freeman: 748 rush yds(5.5), 45 rec yds(7.5), 13 TDs
Maddogg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Dion Jordans name is used in the future I really wouldn't care if it has DE or OLB tagged to it as long as it includes All-Pro.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 21
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
When Dion Jordans name is used in the future I really wouldn't care if it has DE or OLB tagged to it as long as it includes All-Pro.

Exactly!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Dion is truly great playing DE and OLB, then the decision has to come down to this:

Is the OLB we would use when DJ is a DE better than the DE we would use when DJ is an OLB? That's the logic I would employ.

For his rookie season, I think it has to be OLB. He's coming off the shoulder surgery, and will barely be ready for training camp. He won't have the durability to hold down the DE spot.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the FO views him as a DE right now, with the plan of using him in Odricks position on obvious passing downs immediately.

I'm sure they are hoping he can replace Odrick full time at the DE position before the half way mark through the season.

Drafting Jordan and moving Odrick back inside may give us the ability to do something with Starks.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope to god that the #3 overall pick in the NFL draft is not a situational player. That would blow. Jordan should/ought to be a 3 down player, not a guy that is part of a rotation.

It scares me to hear that Ireland isn't sure if he is a LB or DE. I;d much prefer to hear Ireland say "we view Jordan as a OLB." or "We will be asking Dion to come in and play DE for us." Something definitive. Tweeners should be put in one position and encouraged to put all efforts into making it in that position. I've seen a lot of guys flopping back and forth between different positions and struggling in all of them as a result. Jordan needs to be given a roll and then allowed to fill it.

While I would probably prefer him to replace Koa Misi, I think his roll should be/will be DE. The DE concerns I have for him is his ability to stop the run. Cameron Wake is a serviceable run defender, but it isn't his strength. If Dion Jordan is a DE, I worry about our guns being run on because Jordan lacks some upper body strength.

While he played OLB in college and I think could be very good in that roll in the pros, he seems best suited to go after the QB and the DE should do that more. Many claim the reason the "#1 pass rusher in this class" had only 5 sacks last year was because he was sent into coverage so frequently. Are we going to then turn around and send the best pass rusher in the class into coverage?

Bottom line, I think Jordan can be very good, but the league has had a lot of busts from tweeners in a 4-3. What sets Jordan apart, to me, is his amazing speed and his giant frame. The classic tweeners is too small for DE, but too slow for OLB. Jordan frame seems to be ready for 15-20 more pounds in order to play DE, or his speed & fluidity should allow him to play OLB. In other words, from what I see I see a tweener that could actually excel at either position, I just hope we give him one and let him excel.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrozenPhinsFan wrote:
I thought about Von Miller as soon as we picked him.

And then I wondered if maybe with Wheeler capable of some pass rush , that they might want to use him as the 4-3 OLB that does some rushing and keep Jordan at DE. PFF had Wheeler as the second best 4-3 OLB in pass rush last season ( I presume Miller was a clear cut #1.)

PFF has him as a clear bookend to Wake on the D line... I probably put to much cred on that site lol.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/04/25/fantasy-impact-miami-dolphins-select-dion-jordan/

Wheeler was a pass rusher in college. So that has to do with it. I think Dion Jordan will play a Von Miller role for us. I really think he will add a playmaker on our defense.

Imagine what Jason Taylor did for us in 06 playing under Saban. Saban used Taylor all over the place. I see Dion Jordan doing the same things.

UniversalAuthor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: