Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Justin Pugh Pick View

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Justin Pugh Pick View Reply with quote

When Tom Coughlin was hired in 2004, he drafted future son-in-law Chris Snee 34th in the Manning Draft. San Diego was demanding this selection, but Coughlin (Read: Tom Condon) refused to surrender it. Snee has been a stalwart at Right Guard for the past Decade.

Jim Fassell was fired because the Team lost toughness. While fantasy leagues pay attention to wide receivers, the foundation of a Football team is the Offensive Line. Coughlin molded together a Super Bowl caliber Line by 2007, and the unit combined with a fierce group of Defensive Linemen won. Remember- the high octane Patriots entered 18-0, but the Giants came out victorious by sheer will, unity & physical play. Eli Manning gets the credit, but it was the two Line Groups.

After 2007, the Giants resigned Shaun O'Hara, David Diehl, Chris Snee & Richie Seubert to longterm deals. In the prime of their careers, play warranted it.

Missing the playoffs the next 2 seasons, the OL was quietly overhauled. The 2nd Title came on the shoulders of Eli who gained the overused 'Elite QB' stamp. The Giants missed the playoffs in 2012 because the Offensive & Defensive Lines regressed. David Diehl, the longest tenured Giant, is no longer a starting caliber player & the aging group is on its last legs. That includes 31 year old Chris Snee.

The Giants are on sheer will, smart personnel moves & Eli extending their contention window. It's on a year to year basis, but Ownership has committed to 'Leveraging' to win in Giants Stadium. The Super Bowl in New York is obviously a key driver, but in reality a Tremendous Era of Giants football is gradually winding down. The 'Core' Players aren't dominant anymore. The ones that didn't have anything left in the tank were bid farewell in emotional press conferences. And the glaring holes were addressed with low profile FA signings.

Rather than comprehensively rebuilding, the Giants are attempting to extend thhe proverbial window. To adequately compete in 2013, the Offensive Line had to improve. So the Giants disregarded their 'BPA' approach, more simply drafting high upside players, and selected versatile Syracuse OL Justin Pugh. He will provide youth to piece together the OL for one more season.

Justin Pugh isn't flashy, but prospect wise he's virtually identical to Chris Snee. The similarities are striking.

Chris Snee:
Height: 6-2 3/8
Weight: 314
Arm Length: 31 3/8"
Hand Length: 9"
40: 5.10
10-Yard Split: 1.75
Reps-225: 29
Vertical: 30.5"
Hometown: Montrose, PA
Awards: First Team All Big East 2003
College Starts: 34

Justin Pugh:
Height: 6-4 1/2
Weight: 307
Arm Length: 32"
Hand Length: 10 1/4"
40: 5.10
10-Yard Split: 1.67
Reps-225: /
Vertical: 28.5"
Hometown: Holland, PA
Awards: First Team All Big East 2012
College Starts: 34

Pugh won't be considered a Sexy pick- The media & fans will criticize it. But Pugh brings versatility, toughness & fits the Giants mold. Longterm he might kick inside, but he can hold up at Right Tackle. This pick represents Reese saying, "Tom- I've controlled the draft process for many years. What do you need & who do you want?'

Coughlin spoke to one of his proteges Doug Marrone (Bills New Head Coach), and selected his Offensive Linemen. Pugh will be a Foundational Player for the next decade. Could be a Pro Bowl caliber Offensive Guard or a starting Right Tackle. It's a pick that I firmly support despite media critics. Because at the end of the day, Tom Coughlin has earned my Trust.
IR0NM1KE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna lie, I wanted to see the Giants go defense early and often. But I like the pick nonetheless. Gotta have the big fellas to win up front and protect Eli, who will be throwing the ball a lot as long as Perry Fewell is our DC.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated that we passed up Floyd, Elam, Rhodes, Trufant for Pugh. I felt there was a good chance Pugh could have been our second round pick.. Now I hope we hit it big on a LB like Moore or Collins. It's not sexy, but if it was cooper would everyone complain? We needed OL. But we need defense too.
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what makes this a good pick is they had to address the OL at some point in this draft. And with the rate OL were coming off the board, they could not risk waiting until a later pick and missing on a solid prospect. Now they can focus on defense with their next few picks as there are no longer glaring needs on the offense.

When you look at our OL as a whole, we were and injury away from a terrible line before this pick. He and Boothe provide versatility to play all over the line. With our tight cap situation and little depth on the OL, Pugh solves multiple problems. Definitely not sexy, but a safe pick.

SIDE NOTE: give me khaseem greene in the 2nd!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a friendly reminder, we don't need multiple threads to discuss the same topics. As the draft goes on can we keep the threads to one per pick and keep discussion there? We have a mock draft thread, a draft thread and now two threads for one pick. I'm tempted to copy this one into the original and lock it but I'll leave it for now I s'pose.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest difference between Pugh and Snee is where my concern lies- Snee is one of the strongest men in the NFL. He can bench over 600 pounds. Justin Pugh cannot. I'm not saying strength is everything, but when it comes to playing RT or guard, it's very important.

He better be calling up Snee right now and hitting the gym with him.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
Biggsam49

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
The biggest difference between Pugh and Snee is where my concern lies- Snee is one of the strongest men in the NFL. He can bench over 600 pounds. Justin Pugh cannot. I'm not saying strength is everything, but when it comes to playing RT or guard, it's very important.

A worry of mine too. Short arms should have given him a big advantage in the bench press.

I'm somewhat hoping Brewer is the answer at RT and Pugh plays LG. Could make for a very athletic line, and maybe we'll be able to get a little more creative with Wilson on screens / counters.
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:

That's true but there isn't that much of a different in their bench reps. Pugh did 22 at the combine but he said he's up to 24 since then. I could see him up to the 26-27 range by the time the season starts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
minutemancl wrote:

That's true but there isn't that much of a different in their bench reps. Pugh did 22 at the combine but he said he's up to 24 since then. I could see him up to the 26-27 range by the time the season starts.

Snee has hit the gym since his combine and has always been lifting for weight, not reps. He was still strong as hell at his combine, moreso than the 20-something reps reveals.

May not be much of a difference in their bench reps, but there is a huge difference in their actual strengths. Like I said, pee-ew better start taking "adderal" and/or lifting with Snee if he is going to play right tackle.

Acgott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not worry my G-Amigos

As u know i room with the homecoming King, who has access to everyone, it has gained me access to whip Mr. Pugh into the ACG shape.
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:

Andy Levitre

thats his perfect comparison.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Acgott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
Do not worry my G-Amigos

As u know i room with the homecoming King, who has access to everyone, it has gained me access to whip Mr. Pugh into the ACG shape.

My god I was gone...
minutemancl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
Acgott wrote:
Do not worry my G-Amigos

My god I was gone...

Laughing Laughing

Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
Acgott wrote:
Acgott wrote:
Do not worry my G-Amigos

My god I was gone...

Laughing Laughing

Laughing

^Stone85 on the sig^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: