Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dolphan's Draft Series: Meet Dion Jordan

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dolphan9954


Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 6955
Location: Miami
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Dolphan's Draft Series: Meet Dion Jordan Reply with quote

Preface: Over the last four months I have been analyzing game film in my free time, learning more about the finer points of the game as I go. I am going to try to break down in this fashion all of the Dolphins draft picks, or at least as many as I can. What you will find is information on my grade, and then I'll try and breakdown film using pictures to teach and inform of what I see in the player.

Dion Jordan University of Oregon, 6'6 240 pounds
Pick Analysis: The Dolphins pulled a shocking move by trading up to number three, drafting Oregon pass rusher Dion Jordan. I had Jordan rated as my sixth overall prospect, and had him graded as an OLB, and also was my top OLB in the draft.[/i]

Grade: I graded Jordan as an OLB because at 240 pounds, I'm not sure if he is ready for the every down grind of playing in the trenches. I projected Jordan to be drafted by Jacksonville at number 2.

Scouting Report: Jordan has a unique skill set. Jordan is a very lanky player, and his length is his greatest asset. Jordan is difficult for blockers to engage and effortlessly sheds blocks. Has an electric first step. Displays excellent hand play and can violently slap down hands. He isn't freakishly strong, but overcomes that at the point of attack with his freakish length. In the run game he understands angles and doesn't lose contain, while setting a hard edge. Comfortable in space. In the Oregon scheme often lined up over slots and TE. Against Stanford he actually pressed Ertz and re-routed the TE. He is light so I think ultimately will be an OLB in the base scheme this season. Coming off shoulder surgery and unable to lift, he won't be able to put on the strength necessary to reach full potential on the LOS. Ultimately if he can weight between 260-265 he has the potential to be one of the league's most dominant pass rushers.

Vision in the scheme: OLB in the base defense, slides to DE or as a stand up pass rusher in sub packages. Eventual bookend DE.

Film Study: We'll be looking at film of Jordan's best game of the season against Arizona State, in which he racked up two sacks. We'll also being looking at film from an average game of his, against perhaps his best opponent, Stanford.

Using length in the run game


At the snap of the ball, the LT lets Jordan go and he is then picked up by a pulling OG. Jordan sees the RB take the hand off in his direction. His first responsibility is to keep contain, thus he attacks the outside shoulder of the OG.


Jordan gains the outside shoulder, and frees his outside arm to maintain contain. Jordan keeps the OG from engaging with the right arm.



Jordan sheds the OG and attacks the RB and brings him down for a loss.

First step, and attacking the LT



Jordan is attacking the outside of the LT who has anchored.



Because of his electric first step, the OT has to respect his ability to speed rush outside. One of the most impressive part of his game, is for a lanky and tall pass rusher, Jordan has an ability to play with leverage. If you can see in this picture, Jordan has attacked the outside shoulder and gotten so low that he is hardly in the picture. If he gets in this position, he wins every time. From here he is underneath the shoulders of the LT. Take a guess of how he wins...



Jordan puts the OT on his back. After attacking outside, Jordan slaps down the hands of the LT and beats him back to the inside. While he doesn't get the sack, he does perhaps something better: forces the quarterback to make an off balance pass over the middle into coverage.

First step and DDF
NOTE:DDF= Deliver, disengage, finish



In order to respect his first step, I had to post this picture. Jordan is 5 yards deep already and the QB has yet to complete his drop. For perspective the end at the top is only 3 yards deep. This play really shows what will make Jordan a dominant player in time. Watch how he uses his biggest tool, his length, to keep the OT off of him.



Jordan slaps down the hands of the LT, and dips his shoulder. He won already.



He won. Take a guess how this ends.
_________________


Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig


Go Canes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Niedermaier


Joined: 19 Aug 2007
Posts: 970
Location: Oakland
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post man
_________________
Will we ever address the Guard position?

Larry Little #66
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SUG


Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 6810
Location: Alameda, Ca
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good post dolphan9954.

I support the acquisition of Deion Jordan as long as we come out of tomorrows 2nd & 3rd rnd with
at least one quality OLinemen.
(not including a Winston/Albert deal)

The only thing I don't agree with you on is the "shocking move" factor of the trade up.
Smelled that commin a mile away, thought it would be an OT but no doubt the Ammo we are
packing more than justified the gamble.

I like that:
* Jordan is not only talented but he hasn't nearly reached his physical potential.

* He fills a position of need, aside from Wake we have no pass rush till now.

Several well respected posters here have been saying for a couple yrs that what Mia Off & Deff lack is
a couple gm changing phenoms.
Looks to me like today's trade up is a solid attempt changing all that.

sug
_________________
# 52
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent write up....

I was down on the kid through the whole draft process, mainly because I saw him as more athlete then football player, but the more I read on him the more I see it as him doing did what the coaches asked. He could have been a pass rush specialist and racked up incredible number, but Oregon wanted him to use his athleticism in space and he responded. He is one of the few guys who was a consensus top 5 pick and would have been in that range in most drafts. It is going to be interesting to see what happen once good defensive coaches get to work with him.

I still think he can put on a few more pounds of muscle before the start of camp (5 pounds would put him over 250) and he is going to need to refine his technique, but his issues are easily corrected with good coaching....his rare mix of size, speed, and raw athleticism is something few people have.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Warpticon


Joined: 21 May 2010
Posts: 1587
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Excellent write up....

I was down on the kid through the whole draft process, mainly because I saw him as more athlete then football player, but the more I read on him the more I see it as him doing did what the coaches asked. He could have been a pass rush specialist and racked up incredible number, but Oregon wanted him to use his athleticism in space and he responded. He is one of the few guys who was a consensus top 5 pick and would have been in that range in most drafts. It is going to be interesting to see what happen once good defensive coaches get to work with him.

I still think he can put on a few more pounds of muscle before the start of camp (5 pounds would put him over 250) and he is going to need to refine his technique, but his issues are easily corrected with good coaching....his rare mix of size, speed, and raw athleticism is something few people have.


He was 248 at the combine. He won't need to put on that much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Excellent write up....

I was down on the kid through the whole draft process, mainly because I saw him as more athlete then football player, but the more I read on him the more I see it as him doing did what the coaches asked. He could have been a pass rush specialist and racked up incredible number, but Oregon wanted him to use his athleticism in space and he responded. He is one of the few guys who was a consensus top 5 pick and would have been in that range in most drafts. It is going to be interesting to see what happen once good defensive coaches get to work with him.

I still think he can put on a few more pounds of muscle before the start of camp (5 pounds would put him over 250) and he is going to need to refine his technique, but his issues are easily corrected with good coaching....his rare mix of size, speed, and raw athleticism is something few people have.


He was 248 at the combine. He won't need to put on that much.


That why I thought 5 as being doable....15 over the next 2 years could make him scary...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaiowas05


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 1132
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we just get JT to teach him all summer how to be that shape and play DE for us Sad
_________________
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner '12, '13 and '14
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiowas05 wrote:
can we just get JT to teach him all summer how to be that shape and play DE for us Sad


1. Marry a teammate's sister

2. Go to Hollywood, try to be "one of them"

3. Dance baby, dance
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaiowas05


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 1132
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Kaiowas05 wrote:
can we just get JT to teach him all summer how to be that shape and play DE for us Sad


1. Marry a teammate's sister

2. Go to Hollywood, try to be "one of them"

3. Dance baby, dance


Smile
_________________
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner '12, '13 and '14
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group