Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would a trade back in the second round be a good move?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillParks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Would a trade back in the second round be a good move? Reply with quote

Given the depth of this draft, would it be a good move to trade back into the midde or latter part of round two? It seems like all of the players are at the same talent level. If we get an extra third round pick I think it might be worth it. Thoughts?
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not all the same talent level. After about 12 players, the rest of these guys should all be 3rd rounders.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
They're not all the same talent level. After about 12 players, the rest of these guys should all be 3rd rounders.

I don't understand these kind of statements. Where people "should" go is based on the context of the other players in the draft.

How do you determine what round a player should go if you aren't taking into account the context of the draft?

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they can trade back 5-6 spots and still land any of my top 5 in draft thread

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
cibowilson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. To me, there is not a must have player that we can't get a little later. My top 15 available are:
1. David Amerson
2. Robert Woods
3. Tank Carradine
4. Larry Warford
5. Barrett Jones
6. Arthur Brown
7. Bacarri Rambo
8. Khassem Greene
9. Brian Winters
10. Zach Ertz
11. Damontre Moore
12. Darius Slay
13. Justin Hunter
14. Travis Kelce
15. Manti Te'o/Kawaan Short

I think we can trade down and grab any one of these guys
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone sleeping on Banks at CB

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

I don't understand these kind of statements. Where people "should" go is based on the context of the other players in the draft.

How do you determine what round a player should go if you aren't taking into account the context of the draft?
There's a double-digit drop off in grading after the top #12 players remaining.

Describe it how you want(I used rounds because that's one way that I look at it), but regardless there's a huge dip in talent after around 12 or so players. That just means you don't wanna trade down too far, or you'll miss out on a potential starter/impact player IMO.
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Not really, he's not that fast and has durability concerns. Plus I believe him to be a better fit for a zone coverage scheme, but I'd definitely take a look at him in the 3rd if we haven't drafted Jamar Taylor in the 2nd.
WillParks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stated in an earlier discussion that, in my opinion, Jonathan Banks should play safety. He may have length but he just doesn't have the speed to play CB. He played safety as a freshman and was all-SEC; as a freshman!
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not overly concerned with CB. Houston is good, that's a given. Bartell was solid in the short time we got to see him. On top of that we have a year of training and understanding the defense from three guys we drafted last year. I am excited to see what Greenwood has and I think Bentley was about as good of a prospect as what's left and he deserves a shot still. Green is decent depth. Not to mention adding Quinn will help a ton. It's not a strength of the team, but is far from the weakness everyone makes it out to be IMO.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Louis Delmas26

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont care how we do it but if we can land Justin Hunter tomorrow I'll go nuts. He was my #1 WR on my BB and I think he is pro ready and has the most potential not named Cordelle Paterson, but Hunter is much more defined than Patterson is. Hunter will give us a legitament threat opposite of Calvin and will open up the offense for Bush, Pettigrew, Broyals, and Burelson.

Then, 3rd round get me DJ Swearinger!

The two best players available for where they should be and I understand that we need OLine but look at the FAs available... There are many ways to fill the roster guys...
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On ESPN they just showed a graphic of Kiper's round 2 mock with picks 33-42 and he has the Lions taking Robert Alford, CB, Southeastern Louisiana.

Quote:

STRENGTHS Possesses adequate height and sufficient upper-body strength to play outside in the NFL. Consistently competitive at the line in press coverage and downfield on jump balls, even against larger receivers. Has fluid hips and quick feet to open up and run down the sideline, as well as a smooth backpedal to maintain cushion. Stays low in man off the snap to mirror his target's route. Aware zone defender who sees and attacks the underneath route. Good closing speed to the receiver when playing off, usually finishes the tackle. Flashes quickness to avoid blocks in the run game, brings some attitude to ride down running backs. Used in the slot, primarily as a blitzer because of his speed and tenacity. Shows ball skills, vertical, and concentration to snatch throws in front of or over the top of his man, and can make the easy catch as a center fielder in zone.

WEAKNESSES Gives up size to outside receivers, is pushed backwards by aggressive players on run plays or when in press; he needs to get his hands up more quickly to get in the first shot in those situations. Inconsistent in his effectiveness as a tackler, will be slow to cut or throw a shoulder instead of wrapping against better ballcarriers. Overaggressive in his angles in run support, giving up the sideline instead of forcing plays inside.
NFL COMPARISON Corey Graham

BOTTOM LINE The younger brother of former NFL player Fred Booker possesses all of the tools to follow the family path to the professional level. Alford missed a season due to a shoulder injury, but is one of the more physical cornerbacks in the country, and looked absolutely dominant at times during his senior year. His willingness to press, compete for balls downfield, and support the run –- as well as fair size, overall athleticism, and potential return ability will make him a highly sought-after player.

nagahide13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we can find an impact corner in this draft at this point, so I'd kind of rather stay away from the position for a while. IE) I don't think anyone that's left will be any better than a couple of guys that we already have, so I'd rather find someone that can help the team in an area of greater need while still sticking to BPA relative to those kinds of modifiers.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
I don't think we can find an impact corner in this draft at this point, so I'd kind of rather stay away from the position for a while. IE) I don't think anyone that's left will be any better than a couple of guys that we already have, so I'd rather find someone that can help the team in an area of greater need while still sticking to BPA relative to those kinds of modifiers.

I agree with everything you said. To me it was either grab the best CB in the draft or forget about it. They have enough project CB's on the roster. They have other holes at this point that are more important. They don't need a #3 corner. They need a real #1 so they can slide Houston into the #2 spot.
WillieYoungSon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:

Probably cuz his true position is safety and there are a ton in this draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: