Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 1, Pick 32 - Matt Elam
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all my favorite Ravens fans who still hate me.

Good pick. I'm glad you didn't get Cyprien though. Elam is a very good player. One of those guys who is always around the ball. I don't see Polamalu in him though. More of a...better Dashon Goldson? Not sure why that's the apt comparison, but that's how I see it.

Rich get richer though.

Thanks, Tzimisce
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the pick. Why? Because it makes sense, is a solid player, and great value. Ozzie Newsome strikes again, pure and simple. Congrats on getting a Great Safety! If he doesn't start Game 1 I'd be friggin' shocked.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
I think this pick is both a double and a home run in terms of what it could be. I think Elam has a high floor because he's an impact player, but he doesn't always exhibit that aggressiveness that I love. Many will remember that I hyped Elam and he was my #1 safety. Even after lowering him it was with the knowledge that I thought his ceiling is an All Pro, potential HOF caliber player, but he just didn't always play up to his potential IMO.

If playing for the Ravens is what helps him to consistently be the player he is in spurts on tape... Then we've got Troy Polamalu, maybe a little lower ceiling. But worst case scenario I think we've got a multiple time probowler.

I agree with the part I put in bold. To me Elam is a fairly safe player but he still has a big upside. I'm not sure he's like Polamalu, but a better version of Delmas would be about right. That's not a knock either because I think Delmas is a pretty good safety (aside from his health issues).
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:

I agree with the part I put in bold. To me Elam is a fairly safe player but he still has a big upside. I'm not sure he's like Polamalu, but a better version of Delmas would be about right. That's not a knock either because I think Delmas is a pretty good safety (aside from his health issues).

Definitely think Delmas is a better comparison if you're going to compare someone to Troy it's gotta be Vaccaro, if you watch him play he plays a lot like Troy with a lot of the same weaknesses (tries to shoulder tackle too often and I wouldn't call him a ballhawk).

Edit: My comparison opinion wasn't meant to be negative, as Coordinator said I think Delmas is a very good Safety and I think Matt Elam will be much better than Delmas tbh. I just think that the style of SS Elam is more resembles Delmas than Troy.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading an article on Elam and they compared him to Quintin Mikell? I don't know but that doesn't seem like a "good" comparison to me, considering Mikell was nothing ever special as a safety and when I look at Elam, I see a dynamic safety who basically runs like Ed Reed but hits like Bernard Pollard.

Idk, I think in the end we got ourselves the exact SS type we were looking for and when in a couple of years this guy will be a definite Pro-Bowler.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
Rayvens52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Hmmm... seems a little more like a home-run swing than the double we were promised. He's got a few things to work on and the size thing isn't going away. But, he does really pop out on the game tape. Even on the "lowlight" plays, he's active and aggressive.

A junior first round pick is unusual for us, but he's got 2 good years against top level competition.

Week 1 starter?
lol@ the size issue..how tall was Ed Reed..how tall is Troy P.? it's just stupid to mention his size when he's playing safety. Sorry we didn't draft a guy who is 6ft2 with less potential.

I could see if you were referring to another position but a safety? lol

Thanks to mike23md on the sig!
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size for a safety matters depending on how they're used. Guys like Reed and Polamalu can excel without being big because they're not put in a position where size matters. If a guy is going to be manning up on TEs/bigger slot WRs that's a different story. I don't expect Elam to be put in that kind of position since Baltimore now has Huff but it's definitely something that has to be taken into consideration.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Size for a safety matters depending on how they're used. Guys like Reed and Polamalu can excel without being big because they're not put in a position where size matters. If a guy is going to be manning up on TEs/bigger slot WRs that's a different story. I don't expect Elam to be put in that kind of position since Baltimore now has Huff but it's definitely something that has to be taken into consideration.

It is, but I definitely see his point. Just think, if the two best safeties of the past generation... and arguably GOATs didn't crack six feet and were nothing more than an 1" taller than Elam, then I don't see how height is going to be any kind of determining factor.

Just think, someone in that 2002 draft was probably saying something similar... Ed Reed isn't going to be escaping his less than ideal height for a safety... and fast forward 11 years and I've yet to hear Ed Reed and height being a topic of conversation... except right now. Same with Polamalu. I'd bet many teams and fanbases would be willing to trade a few inches of length on their safeties if they could have a shot at having a GOAT caliber player.

So the way I see it, the only time height matters is if someone is actually a better/more productive player than Matt Elam.. and they just so happen to be taller... but Eric Reid going ahead of Elam is highway robbery... he's not even in the same league IMO. But because he's the ideal size, he gets bonus cookies.

And while Vaccaro is in the same league, I don't think he's as good as Elam. The only safety I'd have potentially taken over Elam was Cyprien... and that's only because he's more disciplined. I feel like Elam's playing style is going to lead to his fair share of fines and disciplinary actions. But I don't think any safety has any kind of coverage advantages over Elam. The way I see it, Elam can cover some slot WR options and smaller TEs whereas a guy like Reid, who has the size to potentially cover larger TEs doesn't have the fluidity to do the same. So in a sense its a double edged sword... Elam could be taller but then he loses his ability to be an effective nickel type option... and not many safeties, no matter their heights are going to be able to stop the premier TEs that are the cause for concern anyway.. an extra 2" isn't suddenly going to make Vaccaro look competent against Gronkowski when he's in Hulk Smash mode or Davis when he's playing motivated. Those guys are going to dominate anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said it all comes down to how a player is used. To me the NFL is mostly a scheme league with the true "stars" being the outliers. Reed and Polamalu are/were definitely "stars" but would they still have been as great as they are/were if they were asked to cover TEs/WRs on a consistent basis instead of being able to roam where they please?

In my opinion Elam isn't a Reed/Polamalu level of player but he definitely has a lot of upside so who knows. For what it's worth I had Elam as my #2 S behind Cyprien. Vaccaro strikes me as meh, a guy who can be a pretty good man-coverage S but I don't think he has the ball-skills or physical ability to be a true impact-maker. Reid was 5th on my board with Swearinger above him. Him and McDonald are/were about the same. I probably would have had Wilcox higher if the Ravens didn't need a guy who could likely come in and play right away.

I agree that most guys aren't going to be able to cover Gronkowski, Graham, or Davis regardless of their size. It's gotta help though.
bmorecareful

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Like I said it all comes down to how a player is used. To me the NFL is mostly a scheme league with the true "stars" being the outliers. Reed and Polamalu are/were definitely "stars" but would they still have been as great as they are/were if they were asked to cover TEs/WRs on a consistent basis instead of being able to roam where they please?

In my opinion Elam isn't a Reed/Polamalu level of player but he definitely has a lot of upside so who knows. For what it's worth I had Elam as my #2 S behind Cyprien. Vaccaro strikes me as meh, a guy who can be a pretty good man-coverage S but I don't think he has the ball-skills or physical ability to be a true impact-maker. Reid was 5th on my board with Swearinger above him. Him and McDonald are/were about the same. I probably would have had Wilcox higher if the Ravens didn't need a guy who could likely come in and play right away.

I agree that most guys aren't going to be able to cover Gronkowski, Graham, or Davis regardless of their size. It's gotta help though.

As a prospect he does remind me of Polamalu. But whether he can elevate his game once a pro like polamalu did is another argument entirely
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:

Yeah, I know where you stand on prospects. Definitely wasn't saying that you were in the camp that over-appreciates height on a safety.

And I agree with your point of view listed, upon later observation I don't think I made that clear. I definitely agree that scheming Elam to cover big TEs isn't going to be the smartest gameplan, I was simply saying that I think height as an issue is a little overblown. Elam might not matchup against a... Brent Celek in the height department, but he's aggressive and could probably get the job done in most cases with good technique... like how Revis does again Megatron. And while he'll surely be exposed if a QB can provide great ball placement that he can't defend against due to his length, I was simply stating that the opposite is true. I was simply using Eric Reid as an example- as he offers the prototypical measurements for a safety and prototypical athleticism... only saying prototype enough times doesn't make him better than Elam, height or not.

But yes, I understood and understand your point, just saying that Rayvens52 has a point, though he probably didn't phrase it as delicately as he could have done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we see some more Cover 0 blitzes next season. Replacing Reed and Pollard with Huff and Elam is a HUGE upgrade in terms of man-coverage from that position.
Baixis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elam was my favorite player in the draft!!! When my Boys traded down to 31, and the PASSED on Elam, I started strokin' out! But then my 2nd favorite team (and honestly, the team I wish my Boys were - or would at least emulate; anyone want to swap Ozzie for Jerry-the-GM?!) raced up their card (it was a very quick decision!) and I actually couldn't be happier - for Elam that is. I love him and now feel good that one of my favs is going to a great organization and I will be rooting for him for years to come!

Still pissed about trading away Boldin, and a little sad Ozzie didn't jump on Keenan Allen to replace him, but I have all the faith in the world that he/they know what they're doing, so no worries.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank goodness!

Matt Elam will now be changing his number from #31 to #26.

Garrett Downing @BR.com wrote:
Elamís older brother, Abram, has worn No. 26 at points during his time in the NFL.

Switching to No. 26 will put Elam in the same jersey number worn by Hall of Fame safety Rod Woodson

That only adds to the awesome. Elam wearing Rod Woodson's old number is awesome. I'm just glad that he's in the 20s now. I always found 30s to be a relatively ugly number. Though, I was willing to make an exception for 32... just because of the circumstance of the number (where he was selected).

I hope no one made a customized Elam jersey with 31 on it though... or else you're screwed. Laughing

Speaking of that... I was JUST about to make a sig with Elam, Brown, and maybe Williams in it... and I was going to spend a lot of time to try and photoshop their college images into a Ravens jersey with that number... I would've been PISSED had I gone through all that trouble only for him to change his number. I think I'll just wait now.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

I hope no one made a customized Elam jersey with 31 on it though... or else you're screwed. Laughing

I was THIS close to ordering one, but I decided to wait and see if they show up in a local store first. Lucky me. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: