Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 1, Pick 32 - Matt Elam
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Round 1, Pick 32 - Matt Elam Reply with quote

With the 32nd pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select:

Matt Elam, S, Florida
dcarey20

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it. Haved loved Elam as a possibility since the start of the process. Plays like a Raven too the fullest. Couldn't be happier.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the pick, he reminds me of Troy Polomalu. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded up in the second round for Arthur Brown, Kevin Minter, Keenan Allen or Justin Hunter.
nevermore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
Love the pick, he reminds me of Troy Polomalu. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded up in the second round for Arthur Brown, Kevin Minter, Keenan Allen or Justin Hunter.

MTE. Plenty of ILB talent to be had, and the Ravens have more than enough pick to spare.

Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
DreamKid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate the pick, but predicted it so that's something. I knew Ozzie and Co. would take an SEC guy in Elam over Cyprien, shame but trust in Ozzie. He can't cover tight ends so I think he will be a box guy, he isn't that sound of a tackler and will have to learn not to launch when going for the big hit. Not a fan, a real meh pick but let's hope he pans out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Ozzie seems excited.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 14m
Ozzie Newsome on Matt Elam: 'Even though it was a position of need, whether you believe it or not, was highest rated player on our board.'

Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens 8m
Ozzie: "I've never been so excited. It was fun watching him play. To watch a player on tape and play after play you say, 'Oh wow.'"

Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that strikes me the most about this pick is the decisiveness with which the Ravens made it. They weren't on the clock that long and there were quite a few other prospects left on the board that were seemingly good fits. Enough so that Baltimore probably could have traded back a bit and still got one of those guys. That tells me that the team really likes Elam and that alone makes me comfortable with him being the pick.

I would have preferred Cyprien but the more I thought about it earlier today the more it seemed more unlikely that he would have been taken at 32 (which is why I left him off of my list for the 20 prospects game). Elam is still a player I like a lot though. With Huff on the team he shouldn't have to man-up in coverage too much and that limits Elam's size disadvantage. He can do just about anything on the field though.
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Mike Mayock voice] The No. 1 safety on my board. I love everything about this kid. He tackles. He's tough and he's got great speed. Love this pick at 32.[/Mike Mayock voice]

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
aussie_raven77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
One of the things that strikes me the most about this pick is the decisiveness with which the Ravens made it. They weren't on the clock that long and there were quite a few other prospects left on the board that were seemingly good fits. Enough so that Baltimore probably could have traded back a bit and still got one of those guys. That tells me that the team really likes Elam and that alone makes me comfortable with him being the pick.

This thing stood out the most to me, we did not waste much time at all. I was thinking (hoping more than anything) that we tried to persuade someone in the early 2nd to move up for Geno and net ourselves a 3rd because there's so much value still on the board. That said I'm not entirely unhappy, as I mentioned in another topic, look how well we did with the last Safety we drafted in the 1st out of a Florida based university, turned out pretty well for us
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... seems a little more like a home-run swing than the double we were promised. He's got a few things to work on and the size thing isn't going away. But, he does really pop out on the game tape. Even on the "lowlight" plays, he's active and aggressive.

A junior first round pick is unusual for us, but he's got 2 good years against top level competition.

Week 1 starter?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens 31m
Ozzie: "I've never been so excited. It was fun watching him play. To watch a player on tape and play after play you say, 'Oh wow.'"

Quote:
Ozzie: "The way he played on tape is the way you have to play in the AFC North." #MattElam

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens 37m
Newsome said they really like Elam's speed, tackling and joy of the game of football.

Quote:
Ozzie says that if there was one player all four (Harbs, Newsome, DeCosta and Hortiz) wanted, it was Matt Elam.

Quote:
Jerry Rosburg is very close with the Matt Elam family and DBs Coach Teryl Austin coached him at Florida.

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 37m
Eric DeCosta on Matt Elam: 'He's an infectious kid on the playing field, tough, aggressive.' Joe Hortiz: 'He fits our profile'

I don't remember them gushing about their first pick like this the last couple of seasons.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Ozzie: "The way he played on tape is the way you have to play in the AFC North." #MattElam

Quote:
Newsome said they really like Elam's speed, tackling and joy of the game of football.

Quote:
Ozzie says that if there was one player all four (Harbs, Newsome, DeCosta and Hortiz) wanted, it was Matt Elam.

Quote:
Jerry Rosburg is very close with the Matt Elam family and DBs Coach Teryl Austin coached him at Florida.

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 37m
Eric DeCosta on Matt Elam: 'He's an infectious kid on the playing field, tough, aggressive.' Joe Hortiz: 'He fits our profile'

I don't remember them gushing about their first pick like this the last couple of seasons.

All of those quotes are exactly what I've seen and felt with Elam throughout the process. It feels good to feel the exact way Ozzie and co. feel about a draft pick for once. I'm too happy about this pick.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this pick is both a double and a home run in terms of what it could be. I think Elam has a high floor because he's an impact player, but he doesn't always exhibit that aggressiveness that I love. Many will remember that I hyped Elam and he was my #1 safety. Even after lowering him it was with the knowledge that I thought his ceiling is an All Pro, potential HOF caliber player, but he just didn't always play up to his potential IMO.

If playing for the Ravens is what helps him to consistently be the player he is in spurts on tape... Then we've got Troy Polamalu, maybe a little lower ceiling. But worst case scenario I think we've got a multiple time probowler.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping it would be Te'o, as the draft unfolded. But I'm not going to complain about Elam.

He and Huff as starters back there should make for a very talented, solid secondary.

Now I expect the Ravens to trade up in the 2nd to get one of MLB, OT, WR. They don't need to pick eleven more players.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussie_raven77 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

This thing stood out the most to me, we did not waste much time at all. I was thinking (hoping more than anything) that we tried to persuade someone in the early 2nd to move up for Geno and net ourselves a 3rd because there's so much value still on the board. That said I'm not entirely unhappy, as I mentioned in another topic, look how well we did with the last Safety we drafted in the 1st out of a Florida based university, turned out pretty well for us

Kevin Byrne stated that they almost traded up a few spots to make sure they got Elam, that's how much they coveted him. When the Ravens were on the clock, Ozzie wanted to wait a few minutes to see if anyone would call with a trade. After 4 minutes Ozzie said; "Looks like no one's calling, lets take Matt Elam."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: