Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1-29: MINN - Cordarrelle Patterson [WR] Tennessee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 73, 74, 75  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmichaelp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
How elusive is Cordarrelle Patterson? Even more elusive than Percy Harvin.

Missed tackles / rushing attempts:
Harvin (2012): 5 / 22
Patterson: 13 / 12

Missed tackles / receptions:
Harvin (2012): 22 / 62
Patterson: 10 / 45

Average depth of reception (YPR - YAC):
Harvin (2012): 2.2
Patterson: 4.0
(Patterson caught fewer screen passes)

Harvin (2012): 27 missed tackles in 84 touches
Patterson: 23 missed tackles in 57 touches

Harvin (2012): 4 TDs on 84 touches from scrimmage
Patterson: 7 TDs on 57 touches from scrimmage

13 missed tackles on 12 carries is....

Averaging over one missed tackle per rush. Shocked

Granted like eight of them are probably from that run against the Lions. Laughing

------------

And the comparisons just stem from both players receiving, rushing, and returning kicks and the fact that one was drafted to replace the other. It's inevitable really.
Duff Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Yeah, I don't see the Harvin thing at all. Patterson can take handoffs, but he's, and do bubble screens (and have more success than Harvin did), but I don't see it. I think he can become the complete package.

I still just hate the dreads...

How can you hate something so beautiful?
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Yeah, I don't see the Harvin thing at all. Patterson can take handoffs, but he's, and do bubble screens (and have more success than Harvin did), but I don't see it. I think he can become the complete package.

That doesn't even make sense. The majority of Patterson's success came the same way Harvin's did. Patterson may have more potential as a downfield receiver but he hasn't shown much of it yet.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
That doesn't even make sense. The majority of Patterson's success came the same way Harvin's did. Patterson may have more potential as a downfield receiver but he hasn't shown much of it yet.

Plays like the end zone corner fades they were running though is a perfect example of where Patterson has already shown a more advanced skillset than Harvin.
jshowers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Patterson has more potential than Harvin long term as a downfield receiver, but by his 3rd year with us Percy had made big strides in that area. We were "manufacturing" far less touches for him and instead running him down field on the traditional route tree. I would venture we will see the same progression from CP, most likely, though I don't think he will ever be a premier vertical/down field threat. It's just not how he plays. Doesn't mean he can't be a beast.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patterson is bigger, he doesn't have a more advanced skillset and he hasn't shown a ton of production as a receiver yet. Less than Harvin as a rookie.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plays like these you couldn't really call for Harvin:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Pattersons-8-Yard-Touchdown-Catch/4567549f-f2ef-4eab-b194-49ddb5e4583b
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Pattersons-5-Yard-Touchdown-Catch-vs-Eagles/faffe9cc-a9d3-45b3-ab96-ed88b3b2c320
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Plays like these you couldn't really call for Harvin:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Pattersons-8-Yard-Touchdown-Catch/4567549f-f2ef-4eab-b194-49ddb5e4583b

did anyone notice Patterson and the ref in this play after the td shared a hug?

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
Patterson is bigger, he doesn't have a more advanced skillset and he hasn't shown a ton of production as a receiver yet. Less than Harvin as a rookie.

Harvin also had a HOF QB throwing him passes as a rookie. If you put Patterson in that offense, the production would likely have been similar.
Longest Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Harvin also had a HOF QB throwing him passes as a rookie. If you put Patterson in that offense, the production would likely have been similar.

Exactly my thoughts. Favre made everyone have a banner year that year including Sidney Rice. We were a pass first team that pushed the ball down the field. Can't say we did that at all last year until the last few games of the season when Cassell was in. Then we were able to attack downfield with some success. Coincidentally, passing yards went up and Jennings yards went up as well as CP. CP was also getting more looks (as a reciever) towards the end of the season as well.

His ceiling is just so high. I can't wait to see what Turner does with him.

"Respect for the truth is an acquired taste."
Longest Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
I think Patterson has more potential than Harvin long term as a downfield receiver, but by his 3rd year with us Percy had made big strides in that area. We were "manufacturing" far less touches for him and instead running him down field on the traditional route tree. I would venture we will see the same progression from CP, most likely, though I don't think he will ever be a premier vertical/down field threat. It's just not how he plays. Doesn't mean he can't be a beast.

I would tend to agree with this. Although, he may get more opportunities downfield in Turners offense. I am still thinking we need a big vertical threat downfield to pair with him (Evans, Benjamin, etc.) so he can play to his current strengths and possibly develop the downfield skills eventually.

"Respect for the truth is an acquired taste."
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longest Lurker wrote:
jshowers wrote:

I would tend to agree with this. Although, he may get more opportunities downfield in Turners offense. I am still thinking we need a big vertical threat downfield to pair with him (Evans, Benjamin, etc.) so he can play to his current strengths and possibly develop the downfield skills eventually.

Agree. Patterson was not playing as much early in the year because he wasn't able to absorb as much of the playbook as needed to start and play most of the offensive snaps. But AP's injury at the end of the year forced CP into the lineup more when the Vikings had to rely on passing more than Gerhart's running.

'Downfield threat WR' duties might be taken by Wright or Childs (?) if AP becomes less of a focal point of Turner's offense than he was under the prior OCs and the Vikings pass more than in the recent past. I don't know the full potential of either of Wright or Childs, so comment on my guess, as well as my guess that Turner might not be worried about having ONE downfield WR threat if three WRs ( GC, JW, CP ) can do that, as needed.

I don't see the need to draft a downfield threat WR if one or more of CP, JW, and GC can do that when needed.

Back to CP; he will get better with more opportunities this year. I wonder if Stewart will remain as WR coach (has this been decided yet? - I haven't followed all the shrouded moves regarding assistant coaches), and if he helped or hindered CP's development.

I reiterate my speculation that CP was probably held back to a greater degree by his inability to absorb all of the playbook quickly than by the failure of Musgrave to incorporate him in the O early in the year or the QBs inability to get him the ball.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:

One thing to remember is that in Percy's rookie year he had Brett Favre throwing him the ball. In CP's rookie year, he was blessed with the legendary Christian Ponder.

Aout wrote:
What is wrong with all these Packer fans insulting and raging all the time?
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter who he had throwing him the ball, Patterson isn't particularly refined as a receiver.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
No matter who he had throwing him the ball, Patterson isn't particularly refined as a receiver.

Agreed. Neither was Harvin. Even when Harvin was in his fourth year in the league.

Given that Patterson has excellent size and athleticism, he will not need to be as refined as shorter receivers because he creates so much separation from his length and physical skill set.

Harvin lacked refined route running ability, and given his short stature, that hindered his ability on the outside. Sure he showed improvements by 2012, btu that was his fourth year in the league. Patterson has already shown more then Harvin as a boundary WR. As a slot receiver, Harvin blows Patterson away since Patterson doesnt play the slot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Page 67 of 75

Jump to: