Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1-29: MINN - Cordarrelle Patterson [WR] Tennessee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree with wanting a different player, but only looking at 2013, especially with a draft pick, is the wrong way to look at things.
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I can agree with wanting a different player, but only looking at 2013, especially with a draft pick, is the wrong way to look at things.

I'm not saying it's a terrible pick long-term.

Just that once the Vikings had signed Greg Jennings and lost Jasper Brinkley in FA, LB was a much bigger need. They could have gotten a solid starter at LB who is the same age as Patterson.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Duff Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
I'm beginning to dislike the decision to move up and draft Patterson.

Nothing to do with his skillset or anything. I think he has a chance to be a very good WR if he puts it all together.

I just think that in terms of wins and losses in 2013 the team could have helped itself a lot more by adding a LB.

Mehh.. Although I understand this line of thinking, I don't agree with it.

I liked Arthur Brown in the 2nd, but I'd much rather have Patterson + Hodges than Brown + w/e WR would have been available in the 3rd. Gotta remember that the Vikings probably didn't think Brown would have been there @ 52, so the move begins to make more since. Our LB's will be fine, especially if we manage to sign Bishop Wink

I think people are underestimating the importance of a playmaking YAC receiver for Ponder. I think Patterson is going to help Ponder out greatly, but that's just my optimistic opinion ..
Krauser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a couple of polls just before the draft looking at the best strategy to approach filling 4 needs: WR, DT, MLB and CB. The main problem is that by the 4th pick (#82 I think it was) you're going to be well down the list of prospects available at whatever position you've left to address last.

Ahead of time, I thought they'd wait on CB because of the possibility of starting Josh Robinson opposite Cook, and the idea that a Tampa 2 defense can get away with relatively weaker talent at CB. I've since found stats showing that the Vikings pass defense with one CB out (Cook for 6 games, Winfield for the 2nd half of the GB game) was probably the worst in the league. It also seems Alan Williams wants to play more press coverage, which makes sense b/c it'll make the pass rush (the strength of the unit) more effective. If they'd waited until the late 3rd/early 4th to draft CB, there was nothing good left on the board.

It now seems they were going to wait on drafting DT. Based on today's Pelissero column on the MLB situation in the draft - http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_Only_makes_sense_Vikings_search_for_middle_LB_isnt_over061813?t=2 - it looks like Spielman would've been very happy to draft Teo to play MLB, but had Rhodes and Patterson (and of course Floyd, unexpectedly available) ranked clearly ahead of him.

If they'd picked Rhodes and Patterson #23 and #25 they'd have had to trade up to the top of the 2nd round for Teo (Chargers took him #38 ), which probably costs the 3rd +/- a 7th but saves the 4th. Nothing I've read suggests the Vikings wanted Brown, who was available without trading up at #52.

If they'd landed Rhodes/Patterson/Teo at 23/25/?38, their next pick would've been the early 4th. Assuming Jesse Williams was off their board for injury concerns, there wasn't much left at DT (Akeem Spence went at #100, the Vikings had #102). They might've ended up with Everett Dawkins in the 4th (or at least earlier than the 7th), if they'd graded him as highly as the Cowboys did. Having 2 picks in the 4th might've landed them Khaseem Greene instead of Hodges (or do they skip drafting OLB since they have Erin Henderson and Teo's picked), or a higher ranked OG like Barrett Jones. Quinton Patton was still on the board but I don't think they'd take him with CP already drafted, Jennings and Simpson signed, and Wright (and maybe Childs) on the roster.

So you might end up with: Rhodes / Patterson / Teo / Barrett Jones / Dawkins / Locke / etc

Patterson seems as likely as anyone to help the team his first year as a rookie, especially on KR. Floyd will be a rotational player. Rhodes will start but I hope he doesn't struggle (even top 10 drafted CBs often have a hard time adjusting). If they had Teo or Brown I don't know that that would be any better than Bishop for the first year. Most 2nd round rookies won't outplay a veteran FA in their first year.

Pre-draft a lot of people wanted WR/CB/DT with the first 3 picks, say no to Teo, and get a veteran FA like Dansby or Urlacher to plug in for a year or two at MLB. That's how it worked out, as long as Bishop's health checks out and he signs today.
Krauser

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/57298/cordarrelle-patterson-has-definitive-step

Kevin Seifert:
Quote:
At one point or another in recent weeks, I've had a half-dozen people tell me how impressive rookie receiver Cordarrelle Patterson has been during offseason workouts.

Greg Jennings:
Quote:
"Sometimes what makes a player what he is, is the thing we try to take away," Jennings said. "It comes natural. That's a gift. You can't really teach that. He has it. And I remember, that was me. I was coming out and sticking everything. And the coaches were like, 'We just want to round it, we just want to round it.' Slowly but surely, I started rounding everything. The route still looks good, but it just doesn't have that crispness about it."

Jennings also spoke about the more obvious parts of Patterson's game, most notably his top gear. "If you see the back of his jersey," Jennings said, "you might a well stop running, because it's over."

But if you want to know what has the football professionals so impressed with him, Jennings' explanation is as good as any. He's got an "it' that not everyone has, one that Jennings has advised him to ride rather than hide.
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope that the press doesn't continue to blow him up as the 2nd coming of Randy Moss, and expecting him to light up the Packers on Sunday Night Football on 10/27 like Moss did at Lambeau his rookie year. That's a little too much pressure.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uring the Vikings' preparation for the NFL draft in April, special-teams coordinator Mike Priefer prompted coach Leslie Frazier and general manager Rick Spielman to take a good look at the two best kick returners in this year's class: West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin and Tennessee receiver Cordarrelle Patterson. The Vikings figured Austin would be gone by the time they picked at No. 23 -- and he was, going to the Rams with the eighth pick -- but if they had an opportunity to get Patterson, Priefer thought they'd have something special. Then the Vikings traded back into the first round to make Patterson their third pick of the night.

Priefer: "I pulled a hamstring running down the hallway. Great move by Rick and Leslie, and I'm fired up we did it."

"He's so talented. Just a great athlete. I think he's done a nice job of working on some of the little things: keeping his elbows tighter, keeping his hands up, keeping his hands away from his body a little bit. I think he's more comfortable catching kickoffs right now than punts, like a lot of young guys, but we're making progress in both phases."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23497085/vikings-cordarrelle-patterson-gives-team-another-dynamic-kick?source=rss

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patterson: "When I get the ball in my hands, I feel special with it. But I'm not Percy. I'm Cordarrelle Patterson. I don't listen to nothing like that. I only need to be myself."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23497085/vikings-cordarrelle-patterson-gives-team-another-dynamic-kick?source=rss

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PaulWall_23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll know right away. Colin Cowherd talks about this often, it doesn't take long for greatness to surface. He more recently used it with Yasiel Puig and Matt Harvey. Often drawing to entertainment analogies, like Carrie Underwood on American Idol. Once you hear that first that beautiful note, see the dominant swing, or in our case explosive return....you know.

It didn't take long for us with Randy Moss/Adrian Peterson or Percy Harvin. It wont for Cordarrelle. I for one am so pumped for the first couple games of this season to see if this guy is THE REAL DEAL, looks like he could be.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're likely not going to utilize CPatterson like Moss in the early part of the year. He is certaintly down the list of targets on offense.

a) Peterson b) Jennings c) Rudolph d) Simpson e) Wright/Patterson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moss was a different animal, it's unfair to compare the two.

That being said though I stick by my opinion that I really really doubt he's JUST going to be a kick returner with 2-3 touches on offense per game to start his career... Whether or not he can run a route tree by week 1 he's got great natural athleticism and I bet we utilize it like we did with Percy last year. We can't keep his kind of talent on the bench.
PaulWall_23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephiel wrote:

That being said though I stick by my opinion that I really really doubt he's JUST going to be a kick returner with 2-3 touches on offense per game to start his career... Whether or not he can run a route tree by week 1 he's got great natural athleticism and I bet we utilize it like we did with Percy last year. We can't keep his kind of talent on the bench.

Exactly, if this kid has "it" like I said the Vikings will know pretty quickly. Just like anyone else in the entertainment business. If they are successful, they are going to get more exposure.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephiel wrote:

I think they're saying he'll start as a kick returner like how Smith started last training camp as a backup.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Rookie_Premiere_Vikings_WR_Cordarrelle_Patterson/44222dd3-7fbd-4f03-87b8-9ad606516663
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Rookie_Premiere_Vikings_WR_Cordarrelle_Patterson/44222dd3-7fbd-4f03-87b8-9ad606516663

Wow = he actually chose making the defender look bad over scoring the TD. It wasnt the exact words, but that is what he chose. This boy is cocky!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 35 of 70

Jump to: