You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1-29: MINN - Cordarrelle Patterson [WR] Tennessee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85, 86  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Patterson-On-The-Importance-of-His-Offseason/c749e483-d835-4a07-9a3d-a3783665a29f

I think it's interesting he keeps mentioning talking/working with "Matt and Teddy." Matt named first. Could it be that the QB change had a bigger effect on him than originally thought?
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
Zimmer hinting at an off-season receiver coach for CP in his season ending presser...

Michael Irvin?

That was the first person I had in mind. Another name floated around on Twitter: Cris Carter (I don't see this being near as likely).

No, of course it has to be Ochocinco. Laughing

Thx to Lil Uno!
AP_allday2869

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
Zimmer hinting at an off-season receiver coach for CP in his season ending presser...

Michael Irvin?

That was the first person I had in mind. Another name floated around on Twitter: Cris Carter (I don't see this being near as likely).

Cris Carter would be awesome!

Quote:
#Vikings H.C. Mike Zimmer: "I agree that it was a cheap shot. [Gregg Williams'] defenses are all like that."

FFMD '15 Vikings VP of Public Relations
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Irvin has done wonders with Josh Gordon...

I'd rather hear about Patterson learning from Larry Fitzgerald, Cris Carter, or maybe even Randy Moss.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm predicting right now that Cordarrelle Patterson starts next offseason with a new number.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i predict he'll walk in with a fresh buzz cut, a pair of wranglers, and no jewelry. but that's just me thinking.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:

I'd rather hear about Patterson learning from Larry Fitzgerald, Cris Carter, or maybe even Randy Moss.

Irvin came to mind due to the Zimmer/Turner connection. Patterson also doesn't need a life coach, he needs someone to show him how to be a receiver. Irvin did very well with Gordon in that regard.

Gordon's issues have nothing to do with working with Irvin

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach Mike Zimmer said at his season-ending press conference Tuesday that he has talked to a mystery individual about "working with Cordarrelle." Zimmer would not reveal the person's name but his comments came two days after he told reporters he had a plan in place for Patterson for this spring and summer.

Zimmer: "[He is] somebody that I trust, somebody that I think would be a great influence for him. That's part of the thing that I said about I have a plan for him, but we're not allowed to coach him, that's why it's partly up to him. I think this would be good for him and hopefully he will follow through and get to where he needs to get to. Cordarrelle, he's really a good kid, he's really a good kid. He's very respectful in everything he does. It's not really about life, although I'm sure this guy will teach him something about life, too. It's more about playing, being a receiver."

Asked if it's a coach, former player or an instructor, Zimmer said, "kind of all three."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Zulgad_Vikings_hoping_mystery_man_can_get_through_to_Patterson123014

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
TENINCH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:

Irvin came to mind due to the Zimmer/Turner connection. Patterson also doesn't need a life coach, he needs someone to show him how to be a receiver. Irvin did very well with Gordon in that regard.

Gordon's issues have nothing to do with working with Irvin

I thought it was a really stupid question when Zimmer was asked if the person was a life coach.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Coach Mike Zimmer said at his season-ending press conference Tuesday that he has talked to a mystery individual about "working with Cordarrelle." Zimmer would not reveal the person's name but his comments came two days after he told reporters he had a plan in place for Patterson for this spring and summer.

Zimmer: "[He is] somebody that I trust, somebody that I think would be a great influence for him. That's part of the thing that I said about I have a plan for him, but we're not allowed to coach him, that's why it's partly up to him. I think this would be good for him and hopefully he will follow through and get to where he needs to get to. Cordarrelle, he's really a good kid, he's really a good kid. He's very respectful in everything he does. It's not really about life, although I'm sure this guy will teach him something about life, too. It's more about playing, being a receiver."

Asked if it's a coach, former player or an instructor, Zimmer said, "kind of all three."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Zulgad_Vikings_hoping_mystery_man_can_get_through_to_Patterson123014

Michael Irvin does make sense. Carter doesn't seem all that involved with the Vikings, or the NFL, anymore. He seems pretty content with his gig on ESPN.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Carter doesn't seem all that involved with the Vikings, or the NFL, anymore. He seems pretty content with his gig on ESPN.

does Carter still speak at the rookie symposiums?

PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logically, I think Patterson can still be good.

Emotionally, I think he's going to bust. Not sure why, just feel it.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Emotionally, I think he's going to bust. Not sure why, just feel it.

it might just be wishful thinking on my part, but i'll go to the side that he turns himself around, finds the dedication he needs, and his play dramatically improves over time.

i think his "problem" is not rooted in one we see regularly in the NFL: arrogance. a diva, he is not. instead, he's basically a... goofball. a too happy go lucky kind of Jokerman. he's gotten by on flashes of talent against lesser opponents and now he has to find consistency in his training regime.

the consistency that comes with, say, Cris Carter showing him how to catch 10,000 practice passes in a row kind of thing.

Krauser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What puzzles me about Patterson's season is that he seemed to be doing well with his technique, particularly in preseason but even in the first few weeks of the year.

In preseason, he caught a couple of classic X receiver contested comeback routes in the game against the Raiders. Beat Patrick Peterson in press coverage, got deep and Cassel missed him. Caught a deep ball over his shoulder in the Chiefs game. Only bad play was the drop on a shallow drag route, and that was just a concentration thing.

Did well on a couple of pass plays in the Rams game, and even as late as the Saints game. In between though, he got manhandled in press coverage by the Pats -- one of Cassel's INTs was the result of a DB cutting off Patterson's post route, and he didn't fight for the ball. As the season went on, his technique as a split end got worse -- he couldn't box out CBs on comebacks routes in the Tampa Bay game (where he did make some nice catches anyway, on other plays) and the Washington game (where he was the victim of 2 of Teddy's worst deep misfires). He was completely shut down in the first Lions and Packers games too.

I think at this point he's underrated in terms of his technique as a route runner. He does get open routinely against zone coverage and has beaten some good CBs in the few chances he had one on one toward the end of the year. The problems are more with integrating his routes into the scheme of the play as a whole -- hitting the right depth, breaking at the right angle, being where he's expected to be.

And the other big problem is at the catch point. He's shown quite a bit of a catch radius, hauling in passes well above his head (certainly better than Johnson in that), and his hands are pretty good aside from concentration drops (the INT in the last game, he didn't look the ball into his hands). But he needs to be more physical -- attacking the ball, boxing out the defender. He's too much of a finesse player where it counts. And he often seems to be looking to draw a flag (diving) instead of fighting for the ball.

In theory, that's all fixable. But his strengths right now are more or less the same as a year ago, his weaknesses too. Don't think he actually progressed at all this year. So it's hard to project him to improve going forward, much as I think he's capable of doing better.

If his attitude changes to the point that he gets more serious about his craft as a receiver, that'll be a good start.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can get open, but his routes seem lazy. Particularly his stops/hooks. Instead of throttling down and dropping his hips/shoulders he just opens his hips up. That requires no reaction from the defensive back other than planting his foot and driving on the ball.

So yeah, he's "open" at the top of his route but pretty much any DB in the league can break those passes up when all they have to do is drive downhill.

Contrast that with Greg Jennings who can create separation at any point in his route with a subtle move here or there. He's not the athlete Cordarrelle is, but he doesn't have to be with the way he runs routes.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85, 86  Next
Page 84 of 86

Jump to: