Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1-23: MINN - Sharrif Floyd [DT] Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Gnat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Spielman pick, great value getting him where they did. I was hoping it was Star that would drop, but Floyd should be beastly and they have a year to coach him before he'll need to be a full time starter (even though he might be from day one with Williams working at NT as well).

Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spielman: I went through a thousand scenarios at that 23rd and 25th pick and I can tell you honestly he was not in one of those scenarios. So for him to fall down to our lap, there were some conversations as he fell to potentially even move up. But as the names kept falling off the board, we had more than enough options to just sit there and let everything fall to us. And when Sharrif fell to us, it was something that was very unexpected.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/vikings-end-florida-defensive-tackle-shariff-floyds-slide-at-no-23/2013/04/25/b5656efe-ae1c-11e2-b240-9ef3a72c67cc_story.html

New team motto: "Expect the unexpected"
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From February:

McShay also pointed out how much Floyd has improved in the way he uses his hands, a huge point of emphasis for former Florida defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and Florida defensive tackles coach Bryant Young.

Young, the former 49ers All-Pro and one of the top defensive tackles to play in the NFL over the last two decades, worked with Floyd his final two years at UF.

Floyd said recently that Young was a great resource to have after Florida coach Will Muschamp hired Young to his inaugural staff in early 2011.

He had a great impact on me, Floyd said. I sit down and talk to him all the time just about ball and sometimes just about life. He has six kids. Six. You can learn more from him than just ball. Hes a great guy and really down to earth.

You take advantage of those types of guys. You learn as much as you can from them. I try to pick his brain all the time just to know what hes thinking, even if its just the smallest thing -- In this situation, what would you do? --learning from him and try to take my game to the next level.

http://www.gatorzone.com/carter/blog/1251

Shariff, meet Jared and Kevin.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH you guys got a steal here. Great pick by Spiel. They said on ESPN MIN thought about trading up for him. I didn't want a guy to go next to Allen as a Lions fan. Sad

I applaud your front office for this one.

Sig bet
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't already love him, I think you will after hearing his story: http://youtu.be/5RdUjH9PClM

I also like this: http://youtu.be/9lOTsem6VAM
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
If you don't already love him, I think you will after hearing his story: http://youtu.be/5RdUjH9PClM

Sharrif: "That's kinda my goal, leave the league as a legend."

bad childhood, but he's come to a very supportive environment with the Vikings. good match.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Snake Plissken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
Lil Uno wrote:
Snake Plissken wrote:
Lil Uno wrote:
Will Demarcus Love change his number for the second straight year for Floyd? Smile

Does he want 73?

I remember watching something on Floyd where he said 73 was very significant to him.

He said he asked his coach what number no one has done anything significant with before. One of the numbers his coach gave him in response was 73, so he chose it because he wanted to leave his own mark on an otherwise anonymous number.

Ron Yary did something very significant wearing #73.

We had A DT a couple years ago who did the same thing with no. 73. can't think of his name, but he played at Penn state and drafted by STL.

Anyhow, really like the pick.
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snake Plissken wrote:

We had A DT a couple years ago who did the same thing with no. 73. can't think of his name, but he played at Penn state and drafted by STL.

Jimmy Kennedy
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-nfl-draft/news/20130426/ej-manuel-2013-nfl-draft-first-round-snap-judgments/?sct=hp_t11_a5&eref=sihp

Quote:
Floyd gives Minnesota a natural replacement for defensive tackle Pat Williams, who is retiring.

Confused Rolling Eyes Laughing
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-nfl-draft/news/20130426/ej-manuel-2013-nfl-draft-first-round-snap-judgments/?sct=hp_t11_a5&eref=sihp

Quote:
Floyd gives Minnesota a natural replacement for defensive tackle Pat Williams, who is retiring.

Technically accurate I guess....but wow, that's CNN level journalism.....
Snake Plissken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Snake Plissken wrote:

Jimmy Kennedy

That's him. Thanks.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:

Quote:

Technically accurate I guess....but wow, that's CNN level journalism.....

Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:

Quote:

Wow, I read too fast and thought they were talking about Kevin.
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's most astonishing about that is that the author used to be a Vikings' beat writer. Wink

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd was surprised to land with the Vikings, but excited to learn under Williams, one of the best defensive tackles in the NFL over the last eight years.

Floyd: I couldnt have been part of a better ball club. Im excited to get started.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/vikings-end-florida-defensive-tackle-shariff-floyds-slide-at-no-23/2013/04/25/b5656efe-ae1c-11e2-b240-9ef3a72c67cc_story.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: