You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NY Giants 19th Pick Justin Pugh G Syracuse
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Just pissed off with the 30th ranked defense we took a RT/G with short arms. How the hell was he the BPA with players like Arthur Brown and Sharrif Floyd still on the board. Those would be immediate impact and playmakers on defense. Is our team even any better, honestly? At least trade down or something. Reese must see something special in him... I'm just wondering what.

Of course it makes the line better. And it obviously says the team has no confidence in James brewer or any of the other 4th+ round experiments from the last three years. Brewer played what, all of 12 snaps last season? If they thought he was going to be the answer Pugh would not have been the pick. Perhaps you would be more comfortable with Diehl for another season...

And I'm not sure where all the concern is from a position standpoint- he played LT in college, are you seriously saying its an impossible departure for him to flip bookends? This is not a guard moving to tackle, it's a tackle moving to the "easier" tackle spot.

He's apparently not even a good run blocker. If we were going to take a RT in the first, which I was heavily against, at least be someone like Fluker who will help Wilson excel. Pass protection is not the problem... our OL gave up the fewest sacks in the league last year. I have heard he is very versatile and great feet which is great to hear. I'm trying to stay optimistic... but I just can't.

edit- WOW and he's an eagles fan. "This Eagles team is going to be a team like, you know how Indianapolis went from a very bad team last year to a very good team this year, a playoff team. I think the Eagles are going to do something like that this year.

I officially hate this pick.

Last edited by jerseyboy257 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
dkebones wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Just pissed off with the 30th ranked defense we took a RT/G with short arms. How the hell was he the BPA with players like Arthur Brown and Sharrif Floyd still on the board. Those would be immediate impact and playmakers on defense. Is our team even any better, honestly? At least trade down or something. Reese must see something special in him... I'm just wondering what.

Of course it makes the line better. And it obviously says the team has no confidence in James brewer or any of the other 4th+ round experiments from the last three years. Brewer played what, all of 12 snaps last season? If they thought he was going to be the answer Pugh would not have been the pick. Perhaps you would be more comfortable with Diehl for another season...

And I'm not sure where all the concern is from a position standpoint- he played LT in college, are you seriously saying its an impossible departure for him to flip bookends? This is not a guard moving to tackle, it's a tackle moving to the "easier" tackle spot.

He's apparently not even a good run blocker. If we were going to take a RT in the first, which I was heavily against, at least be someone like Fluker who will help Wilson excel. Pass protection is not the problem... our OL gave up the fewest sacks in the league last year. I have heard he is very versatile and great feet which is great to hear. I'm trying to stay optimistic... but I just can't.

yeah agreed and

!@$@!$@!$I!#%$U{#@ NOOOOOOO Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad damn you st.louis!!!!!

were not the only ones reaching...dallas hahaha
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Minter bandwagon for tomorrow.

minutemancl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even care who we pick tomorrow it has to be better than pee-ew

1st yr head coaches rarely see success their 1st yr, if at all.
Gmen4ev

Location: Founder and Chairman of the He-Man Oline Haters Club.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
I don't even care who we pick tomorrow it has to be better than pee-ew

Yea, really hoping for Minter.

But anything is better than pugh

Can't spell Gen without Glen
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point is, a guard and right tackle are gone next year and possibly ano ther due to retirement. This is a very good pick
bucsEST96

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
Justin P-ugh i can't believe we made this freaking pick since when do we reach for players
gave up 0.5 sacks last yr? Not a sexy pick but what's better? Only player I say we missed out on was Eifert. But Eli is #1 priority
ESKY008

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattbags2313 wrote:
Kevin Minter bandwagon for tomorrow.

I'm with you bro
GiantAl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid pick is all I can say about that. He wont be an out and out star, but he will be dependable.

But is that what we want from a 1st rounder? I would have gone corner or DT, with who was available. And also feel we could have got Pugh in the second.

But hey guys, Jerry knows what hes doing. Cant wait for tommorow!
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29241

Quote:

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 2009: Did not appear in any games. 2010: Started all 12 games at LOT2011: Started all 12 games at LOT 2012: Started final nine games at LOT
Height-Weight-Speed 2 Possesses above-average height but can continue to add bulk to his frame. Estimated top-end speed is good. However, short arms (32') hurt his chances of play left tackle in the NFL.
Durability 4 Suffered an 'upper body' injury (shoulder) during 2012 spring practice and was held out of spring game. Also missed first four games of the 2012 season due to the same shoulder injury. Returned to start all nine remaining games in 2012, giving him 33 career starts.
Intangibles 1 A responsible and mature individual that handles his business both on and off the field. An above-average student and was a regular on the schools' Honor Roll. Completed his degree requirements in finance. Coaches praise his work ethic and ability to quickly pick up the offense and blocking schemes.

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

Offensive Tackle Specific Traits

Pass Protection 1 Gets into sets quickly. Light on his feet and shows good patience and balance in his sets. Flashes a strong punch and can quickly reset hands. Once able to latch on, he can lock out with arms and shuffle and mirror to keep defenders neutralized. Also shows an adequate anchor and can sink hips to recover when initially rocked back by speed-to-power moves. Usually when he gets into trouble it is when he over sets or lunges, which is all correctable at the next level. Has the feet and awareness to play LOT in NFL but short arms are a significant concern. Best fit in NFL is likely inside at OG.
Run Blocking 2 Can continue to add bulk and improve strength but effective in this area. Possesses a good but not elite inline power base and can get adequate movement and steer defenders when engaged to open up running lanes. Bends naturally at the knees and shows good balance to stay engaged with blocks. Does a very good job of keeping feet moving while engaged. Pad level will rise up on occasion which can hinder his leverage. Displays above-average lateral agility to reach defenders from the backside or seal the edge as a front side run blocker. Appears to be an above-average athlete in space. Displays good body control and does a nice job of adjusting on the move to throw on defenders in the open field.
Awareness 2 Overall instincts are solid. Displays good awareness in pass pro. Shows good patients in his pass sets and does a nice job of passing off and picking up rushers working against defensive line stunts. Also show ability to identify and react to pressures coming from the second and third level of defense. He is an assignment-sound run blocker that does a nice job of identifying targets at the second level.
Toughness 2 Plays with an edge and not afraid to mix it up. Also flashes a mean streak and will finish when given the opportunity.

Not sure where everyone is getting this "not a good talent" from.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/50775/nfc-east-gets-wise-looks-to-the-line

Quote:
The Giants have basically been getting by with an aging, patchwork group. Former second-round pick Will Beatty emerged as a star last year when finally healthy, but veterans Chris Snee and David Diehl are fading and Kevin Boothe and David Baas aren't special. Until Thursday night, the Giants hadn't taken a first-round lineman since Luke Petitgout in 1999. You can try and hit on free agents and second- and third-rounders for a while, but eventually you need to add some top-end talent to the mix. Enter Pugh, a college tackle who may project as a pro guard and offers versatility in the short-term and a possible long-term answer at any one of several positions.

ESPN has him ranked as the 5th best OT in the draft, 22nd overall. We got him at 19. Can play at any spot on the line. Can start right away. Don't understand the uprising. O line is never sexy, deal with it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been claiming we were a need-based drafting team for the past 2 seasons, and I usually get laughed at. Rolling Eyes

Not thrilled with Pugh. Seems like a low ceiling-high floor guy. Never been a believer in those. Especially with sooo many guys i liked - Eifert, Rhodes, Trufant, Floyd, Werner, Tank, Jones, Ogletree, - still available. But as I usually say, In Reece I Trust.
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over Shariff Floyd, Tank Carradine, Menelik Watson, Xavier Rhodes, and Desmond Trufant? lol

He'd better be a Day 1 starter, and a damn good one at that.
reckless123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time of the pick, i forgot Floyd had not been picked. I think we couldve gotten this guy in round 2.

But we have floyd right there, and we dont attempt to get him? Honestly there was a point where i felt Star would fall to us.

On another note, Geno will make teams eat crow.

Be Humble. Sit Down.
ESKY008

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm warming up to Pugh pick. I think there were better options but when he gets stronger, he will be an above average starter. Smart and good technique but seems on the weaker side
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't get why there is so much hate on this pick. I've seen quite a bit of this guy already and he is an absolute stud. The only concern was his arm length. Great feet, uses hands well and has big hands, shadows the dlinemen, gets to the second level very well, athletic, smart, versatile and just a tough gritty football player. Great in the pass game and in the run game.

Here's some film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9haxhsoTXqU (highlights)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t6KjRH49jk (vs. Pitt 2012)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r__FoiR8EdY (vs. Pitt 2011)

Ryan Nassib and Jerome Smith clips but can see pass protection (67 LT):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O2lLS4r_77g (pass blocking vs. Louisville)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RJWspFtO5E8 (run blocking vs Louisville)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmybAZdY06g (pass blocking vs. Missouri)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xfM3SpGv1IM (pass blocking vs. Rutgers)

Full game vs. WVU:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27_09VIL3d8

Production:

Also, did this one myself. Checked all the depth charts and used cfbstats.com to see the oppositions stats against Justin. This is Justin's games and stats of his matchups:

Date - Opponent - Matchup - Sacks Allowed - TFL Allowed
10/05/12 - Pittsburgh - Shayne Hale - 0 - 0
10/13/12 - Rutgers - Marvin Booker/Ka'Lial Glaud - 0 - 0
10/19/12 - Connecticut - Trevardo Williams/Sio Moore - 0 - 0
10/27/12 - South Fla. - Ryne Giddins - 0 - 0
11/03/12 - Cincinnati - Dan Giordano - 0 - 0
11/10/12 - Louisville - Marcus Smith - 0 - 0
11/17/12 - Missouri - Michael Sam/Brad Madison - 0 - 0
11/23/12 - Temple - Marcus Green/Sean Daniels - 0 - 0
12/29/12 - West Virginia - Will Clarke/Josh Francis - 0 - 0

So yeah on his matchups last year he gave up no sacks nor tackles for loss. Also in 2011 didn't give up a sack or TKL to Kyle Wilber (WF, 4th round pick), Nick Perry (USC, 1st round pick), or Bruce Irvin (WVU, 1st round pick). I'd say he fares pretty well against some good competition. Laughing

So all in all, we got a guy with great production and real lone flaw is his arm length. We can play him at RT and if his arm length isn't too much of a problem at the very worst he can come in and help our porous and aging interior oline. He will be a very good player. Just needs to get a little stronger.

I remember the last time I fought for a pick that was made by us that everyone hated. Good ole JPP sure did bust. Wink

I for one am very happy with this pick. We need defensive picks but the picks we need on defense are deep in this draft. Welcome Justin to the Giants!

^Stone85 on the sig^

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: