Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears take OT Kyle Long
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justo

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
justo wrote:
Yeah, I figured they favored Pugh a bit over Long, though.

Speaking of Pugh, here's why nobody should be bent out of shape over the Bears drafting Kyle Long: Pugh had a similar grade to Long in most circles (high second round) and went one pick earlier to the New York Giants, a team with a draft record Bears fans have salivated over for years.
~same value but not the same type of player. Pugh really could play any of the five spots, IMO. Some scouts have even said he'd be the #2 C of the class..while at the same time projecting him as a LT on the next level. Long was a developmental LG/RT, who could possibly play LT, that could be a monster if he hit his ceiling. Pugh is more of a "can play now, can play everywhere" guy and Long is more of a "massive potential, boom/bust" type player, IMO.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
justo wrote:

Speaking of Pugh, here's why nobody should be bent out of shape over the Bears drafting Kyle Long: Pugh had a similar grade to Long in most circles (high second round) and went one pick earlier to the New York Giants, a team with a draft record Bears fans have salivated over for years.
~same value but not the same type of player. Pugh really could play any of the five spots, IMO. Some scouts have even said he'd be the #2 C of the class..while at the same time projecting him as a LT on the next level. Long was a developmental LG/RT, who could possibly play LT, that could be a monster if he hit his ceiling. Pugh is more of a "can play now, can play everywhere" guy and Long is more of a "massive potential, boom/bust" type player, IMO.

Agreed…very different players.
bzane

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
justo wrote:

That's about as astute an analysis as I've ever read here.
Good job!
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
justo wrote:
raq11 wrote:
edit: out of curiosity, was Long on Packers fans radar before the draft?
Not really. The assumption was that the Packers had a bad OL when really it was just banged up. Saturday got replaces with EDS (who did better) at C mid-season. LT was Sherrod, who was out with an injury. RT was Bulaga, who was out with an injury. Everyone assumed it was going to be DL or S. Little did we know that McCarthy was going to flip Bulaga to LT (happened this week) because Sherrod still hasn't recovered from a 2011 injury. If we would have known this (as fans) we probably would have looked into it more. We really didn't have any clue, though. I had the Packers pinned down to either Tyler Eifert (fell like I thought, Bengals went YOLO for him though), Datone Jones (success!), and Jesse Williams (lolz) for #26.
I figured you guys would go defense but would not have been surprised to see an Olineman drafted, either.
Yeah, I figured they favored Pugh a bit over Long, though. Sounds like the Packers were considering him as a LT, too. Seems like this info was legit. They wouldn't have flipped Bulaga to LT and they would have gone out with Long-Sitton-EDS-Lang-Bulaga to start the season. Never know if he would have been ranked higher than Jones, though.
SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:
justo wrote:
bkokot wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Kyle Long cannot participate in Rookie camp because of that stupid graduation rule.

That's disappointing.
The west coast is on the quarter system and not semesters. All the Pac 12 guys have to stay.

Not all west coast colleges/universities use the quarter system most use the semester system. All PAC 12 schools vary as well.
I know UW, WSU, OSU, UO, and UCLA at least are on quarter systems. All the public schools in OR and WA, too. Most of the Cal schools (at least NorCal). Seems like a west coast thing to me at least.
Interestingly enough the quarter system was an innovation of the University of Chicago.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
justo wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
justo wrote:

I would rather have Long than Pugh.
G08

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
justo wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
justo wrote:

I would rather have Long than Pugh.

Agreed.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.

Halfway point and you are correct.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"We feel protection starts from the inside out," said offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer, who came to the Bears in the offseason from the Saints, for whom he was the offensive line coach. "With the Saints we really felt we needed to keep the interior part of the defensive line at the line of scrimmage in protection, so we put a big emphasis on our guard position to do that. We feel that same way here."

From the first time Long puts on pads, he will be the Bears' most talented offensive lineman. They could line him up at tackle, but they are putting him at guard in part because that's the position they want their most talented lineman to play.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0510-pompei-column-bears-chicago-20130510,0,7147631.column
Gopackgonerd

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he gonna play T or G?

I honestly didn't see Long going in the first round.. If he was in the 2nd round I wouldn't mind the Packers taking him. But I highly doubt at 26 we'd take this guy even.

I wanted the Bears to take Eifert. I know the Bears OL isn't the greatest right now, but they have no weapons beside Marshall and Forte. Even Forte is a liability..

I don't think Bennet is the answer either. Guess he's better than Kellen Davis, but still would of rather have 2 like the Bengals (which the North faces this season) have at their disposal now.

Questionable Pick, but a pretty good player.
justo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bzane wrote:
justo wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
justo wrote:

That's about as astute an analysis as I've ever read here.
Good job!
Thanks Laughing I follow the draft year round and am part of the group that cuts the prospect videos on Youtube. The lines really interest me because no one talks about them
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopackgonerd wrote:
Is he gonna play T or G?

I honestly didn't see Long going in the first round.. If he was in the 2nd round I wouldn't mind the Packers taking him. But I highly doubt at 26 we'd take this guy even.

I wanted the Bears to take Eifert. I know the Bears OL isn't the greatest right now, but they have no weapons beside Marshall and Forte. Even Forte is a liability..

I don't think Bennet is the answer either. Guess he's better than Kellen Davis, but still would of rather have 2 like the Bengals (which the North faces this season) have at their disposal now.

What now?...Forte is a legit top 10 back in this league…with some better blocking upfront he could easily go for 1,300 yards on the ground with another 500 through the air this year…

As for not having any other weapons we added a big time weapon at TE in Martellus Bennett who adds a real pass catcher over the middle of the field and we started to see flashes of Alshon Jeffery’s upside last season to suggest that an offseason with Brandon Marshall could help him develop into a real threat at the #2 receiver spot…

I also don’t think you can underestimate the difference between the chaos of the half Martz half Tice offence that we saw last year and the offence that Trestman is going to put on the field…even year 1 in this new offence I would expect a far better product on the field.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Pugh.

But Long has legitimate athletic upside and way more athletic ability than Justin Pugh.

Technicians come out of college pretty close to maxed out.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who have not read it....a little bit on the method behind the madness. This could also explain why a guy like Pugh was probably not even on their radar, although he is a fine player in his own right.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0510-pompei-column-bears-chicago-20130510,0,7147631.column

Traditional thinking goes out the window here. Rather than a premium on left tackle in the passing game, they will be putting the premium on left guard.Obviously, they watched tape and figured they could help their tackles out from the backfield if they have the middle solidified. I don't care how the line improves, just that it does improve and Cutler does not have to run around like a jackrabbit in heat on every pass play.

If the same premium is put on left guard in this system as usually is put on left tackle, it stands to reason that "success" for Kyle in camp would mean him starting at guard as opposed to tackle. Interesting.

Edit: ...and to Windy's point, it shows they may have been looking for more of a hybrid guard with tackle-like abilities, which would have put Long at a premium to them compared with Pugh.
Gopackgonerd

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Gopackgonerd wrote:
Is he gonna play T or G?

What now?...Forte is a legit top 10 back in this league…with some better blocking upfront he could easily go for 1,300 yards on the ground with another 500 through the air this year…

As for not having any other weapons we added a big time weapon at TE in Martellus Bennett who adds a real pass catcher over the middle of the field and we started to see flashes of Alshon Jeffery’s upside last season to suggest that an offseason with Brandon Marshall could help him develop into a real threat at the #2 receiver spot…

I also don’t think you can underestimate the difference between the chaos of the half Martz half Tice offence that we saw last year and the offence that Trestman is going to put on the field…even year 1 in this new offence I would expect a far better product on the field.
'

What I meant from liability is Injury prone.. I know Forte is big time.

I just don't think Bennett is that much of a threat, sure he had his best year in New York, but it wasn't that impressive. Sorry to say Cutler is no Eli Manning either.

I agree that the Bears offense will be better than last year because they finally got an offensive minded coach, other than Lovie which was a Defensive coach.

I still will have to see with my own eyes if the Bears will have a potent offense with a bunch of receiving threats. Last year remember before going into the season on paper the Bears had a good looking offense, but the only guys who were running that offense was Forte and Marshall when it was all said and done.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopackgonerd wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Gopackgonerd wrote:
Is he gonna play T or G?

'

What I meant from liability is Injury prone.. I know Forte is big time.

I just don't think Bennett is that much of a threat, sure he had his best year in New York, but it wasn't that impressive. Sorry to say Cutler is no Eli Manning either.

I agree that the Bears offense will be better than last year because they finally got an offensive minded coach, other than Lovie which was a Defensive coach.

I still will have to see with my own eyes if the Bears will have a potent offense with a bunch of receiving threats. Last year remember before going into the season on paper the Bears had a good looking offense, but the only guys who were running that offense was Forte and Marshall when it was all said and done.

The biggest problem was the guy really running the offence...and he is gone.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Kyle Long cannot participate in Rookie camp because of that stupid graduation rule.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-chicago-bears-kyle-long-minicamp-20130510,0,7507662.story

Quote:
The Chicago Bears got through their first day of rookie minicamp at a high tempo in the Walter Payton Center at Halas Hall and the top two picks looked as athletic as billed.

First-round draft pick Kyle Long, working at right guard, was fluid and moved well, easily getting to the second level on plays. It’s impossible to tell too much with line play when the players are not wearing pads, but he moved as well as you would expect an athletic offensive tackle.

Long was excited to get to work two weeks after being selected 20th overall.

“It was awesome,” he said. “It’s good to get to know all the guys, all the incoming guys, a few of the guys from last year are out here. It’s a great experience. (I want to) just continue to try to earn the respect of teammates and coaches, just try to solidify my knowledge of this offense and get more and more reps.”

Quote:
Second-round pick Jon Bostic lined up at middle linebacker and his speed and range were evident. His 6-1, 245-pound frame makes him look a lot like weak-side linebacker Lance Briggs.

Quote:
Trestman called it an “exciting day” also as the Bears introduced some players they hope will be building blocks for seasons to come to their playbook and the way they approach work on the field.

“As coaches we recognize the magnitude of this day for players, whether they were drafted, undrafted free agents, whatever they might be,” Trestman said. “This is a dream come true for them to be on an NFL service. We were happy to be a part of their first day and to bring them along. Just like our first minicamp what we tried to do today was spend time in meetings specifically teaching them how we want to pracitce. And I think you could get a sense for that out here: their movement and their speed. We were less concerned with their assignments because they just got here.

“They're just off a plane and driving in here from last night so we specifically wanted to work on that. That's why we went off cards with our offense, to make sure that we could run plays and allow them to execute t some degree. So that was the biggest thing. We were able to interpret their conditioning level a little bit, see where they are. Certainly some of them were even dehydrated, I'm sure, from their travel, and they'll get on a normal routine now that they're in so that's a good thing. Just overall, it was a good day. We got a lot done. I think we got a lot on tape to evaluate and teach from today so we can get them in the right place so tomorrow they'll be more assignment ready and alignment ready and the things you've got to do to really play football.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: