Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears take OT Kyle Long
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5635
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
I just watched the bowl game against Kansas State. He definitely needs to work on his technique. He's a fantastic puller though. His offseason is obviously what made him go so high.


Specifically what is it about his technique that you feel needs refinement?
Timing of his punch. Feet go dead. He also shot out of his stance on a run play and missed the defender. Over aggressive there. Played a bit high at times.

Nothing horrible but definitely didn't look like a top 20 pick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mudderfudder77


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 1841
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Timing of his punch. Feet go dead. He also shot out of his stance on a run play and missed the defender. Over aggressive there. Played a bit high at times.

Nothing horrible but definitely didn't look like a top 20 pick.



Based on the extremely limited information we have - maybe not. But based on the incredible amount of additional data teams have access to - its clear he was rated high enough, and was ultimately chosen as - a first round pick.
_________________


Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13386
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
RT @Gil_Brandt Love Kyle Long pick by Bears. Was told by several people Colts (24) and Packers (26) would have taken him had CHI not

FWIW
_________________
Webmaster wrote:
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
raq11


Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Posts: 686
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Quote:
RT @Gil_Brandt Love Kyle Long pick by Bears. Was told by several people Colts (24) and Packers (26) would have taken him had CHI not

FWIW


but but but...he was a reach and we could have traded down to 34 and still gotten him as well as an extra 3rd rounder!

nice find, interesting stuff (assuming it's true). by training camp I'm sure more and more Bears fans will be coming around to this pick.

edit: out of curiosity, was Long on Packers fans radar before the draft?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13386
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raq11 wrote:
edit: out of curiosity, was Long on Packers fans radar before the draft?
Not really. The assumption was that the Packers had a bad OL when really it was just banged up. Saturday got replaces with EDS (who did better) at C mid-season. LT was Sherrod, who was out with an injury. RT was Bulaga, who was out with an injury. Everyone assumed it was going to be DL or S. Little did we know that McCarthy was going to flip Bulaga to LT (happened this week) because Sherrod still hasn't recovered from a 2011 injury. If we would have known this (as fans) we probably would have looked into it more. We really didn't have any clue, though. I had the Packers pinned down to either Tyler Eifert (fell like I thought, Bengals went YOLO for him though), Datone Jones (success!), and Jesse Williams (lolz) for #26.
_________________
Webmaster wrote:
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9856
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Long cannot participate in Rookie camp because of that stupid graduation rule.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bkokot


Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 1806
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Kyle Long cannot participate in Rookie camp because of that stupid graduation rule.


That's disappointing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G08


Joined: 28 Feb 2011
Posts: 963
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
G08 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
I just watched the bowl game against Kansas State. He definitely needs to work on his technique. He's a fantastic puller though. His offseason is obviously what made him go so high.


Specifically what is it about his technique that you feel needs refinement?
Timing of his punch. Feet go dead. He also shot out of his stance on a run play and missed the defender. Over aggressive there. Played a bit high at times.

Nothing horrible but definitely didn't look like a top 20 pick.


Thanks for answering... I'm going to go through some of his full games and discern what I can.
_________________

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13386
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkokot wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Kyle Long cannot participate in Rookie camp because of that stupid graduation rule.


That's disappointing.
The west coast is on the quarter system and not semesters. All the Pac 12 guys have to stay.
_________________
Webmaster wrote:
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SOCalBearsFan54


Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 771
Location: Los Angeles
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
bkokot wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Kyle Long cannot participate in Rookie camp because of that stupid graduation rule.


That's disappointing.
The west coast is on the quarter system and not semesters. All the Pac 12 guys have to stay.


Not all west coast colleges/universities use the quarter system most use the semester system. All PAC 12 schools vary as well.
_________________


2014 Adopt a Bear: WR Brandon Marshall #15
Rec- 31 Yards- 342 TDs- 5 Tgts- 56
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7953
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
raq11 wrote:
edit: out of curiosity, was Long on Packers fans radar before the draft?
Not really. The assumption was that the Packers had a bad OL when really it was just banged up. Saturday got replaces with EDS (who did better) at C mid-season. LT was Sherrod, who was out with an injury. RT was Bulaga, who was out with an injury. Everyone assumed it was going to be DL or S. Little did we know that McCarthy was going to flip Bulaga to LT (happened this week) because Sherrod still hasn't recovered from a 2011 injury. If we would have known this (as fans) we probably would have looked into it more. We really didn't have any clue, though. I had the Packers pinned down to either Tyler Eifert (fell like I thought, Bengals went YOLO for him though), Datone Jones (success!), and Jesse Williams (lolz) for #26.
I figured you guys would go defense but would not have been surprised to see an Olineman drafted, either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13386
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
justo wrote:
raq11 wrote:
edit: out of curiosity, was Long on Packers fans radar before the draft?
Not really. The assumption was that the Packers had a bad OL when really it was just banged up. Saturday got replaces with EDS (who did better) at C mid-season. LT was Sherrod, who was out with an injury. RT was Bulaga, who was out with an injury. Everyone assumed it was going to be DL or S. Little did we know that McCarthy was going to flip Bulaga to LT (happened this week) because Sherrod still hasn't recovered from a 2011 injury. If we would have known this (as fans) we probably would have looked into it more. We really didn't have any clue, though. I had the Packers pinned down to either Tyler Eifert (fell like I thought, Bengals went YOLO for him though), Datone Jones (success!), and Jesse Williams (lolz) for #26.
I figured you guys would go defense but would not have been surprised to see an Olineman drafted, either.
Yeah, I figured they favored Pugh a bit over Long, though. Sounds like the Packers were considering him as a LT, too. Seems like this info was legit. They wouldn't have flipped Bulaga to LT and they would have gone out with Long-Sitton-EDS-Lang-Bulaga to start the season. Never know if he would have been ranked higher than Jones, though.
SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:
justo wrote:
bkokot wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Kyle Long cannot participate in Rookie camp because of that stupid graduation rule.


That's disappointing.
The west coast is on the quarter system and not semesters. All the Pac 12 guys have to stay.


Not all west coast colleges/universities use the quarter system most use the semester system. All PAC 12 schools vary as well.
I know UW, WSU, OSU, UO, and UCLA at least are on quarter systems. All the public schools in OR and WA, too. Most of the Cal schools (at least NorCal). Seems like a west coast thing to me at least.
_________________
Webmaster wrote:
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7122
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Yeah, I figured they favored Pugh a bit over Long, though.

Speaking of Pugh, here's why nobody should be bent out of shape over the Bears drafting Kyle Long: Pugh had a similar grade to Long in most circles (high second round) and went one pick earlier to the New York Giants, a team with a draft record Bears fans have salivated over for years.

I love this quote as well:
Rotoworld.com wrote:
The Long pick has been characterized as a reach in some circles because Long was not widely projected as a first-rounder in internet mock drafts, which have ridiculously become the measuring stick for where players are "supposed" to go.

And isn't that really the truth? We all act like experts, we take mock drafts so seriously and we dwell on the draft from an outsider's vantage point for so long that I think it's easy to lose all perspective. It's like a bride who obsesses over her wedding day for years and then gets upset when it doesn't turn out exactly as she envisioned.
_________________
Rotoworld.com wrote:
...internet mock drafts, which have ridiculously become the measuring stick for where players are "supposed" to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roadrunner


Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 809
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
It's like a bride who obsesses over her wedding day for years and then gets upset when it doesn't turn out exactly as she envisioned.


...and I think our forum has more than its fair share of Bridezillas! Laughing


Last edited by Roadrunner on Wed May 08, 2013 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7122
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
[It's like a bride who obsesses over her wedding day for years and then gets upset when it doesn't turn out exactly as she envisioned.


...and I think our forum has more than its shares of Bridezillas! Laughing

The Packers forum is crawling with them.
_________________
Rotoworld.com wrote:
...internet mock drafts, which have ridiculously become the measuring stick for where players are "supposed" to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group