Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears take OT Kyle Long
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22677
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://prod.www.bears.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-1/Wise-impressed-with-Longs-athleticism/4f5c9606-c15b-476d-a290-61e593432dde

Quote:
Working with Kyle Long to prepare him for the Senior Bowl, veteran NFL offensive line coach Tony Wise saw some unique traits in the Bears' first-round draft pick.

"I have not coached anybody with that height and that athletic ability," said Wise, who spent about a week in January tutoring the 6-6, 313-pounder at a Los Angeles gym.

Never having seen Long play live or on tape, Wise contacted Oregon offensive line coach Steve Greatwood to learn more about the 24-year-old former baseball player.

During their time together, Wise ran Long through pass protection drills and talked to him at length about what to expect at the Senior Bowl and the NFL Scouting Combine.

"I was thoroughly impressed with his athleticism," Wise said. "When I first met him, he was every bit as big as people had told me he was. That was my first impression. Watching him work out, my impression was how good of an athlete he was for a big man."

"He is raw, but he's such a good athlete that I would think he's going to pick up on things pretty quickly," Wise said.

Wise was also impressed with Long's maturity.

"I didn't realize how much older he was," Wise said. "I had just got done coaching here at Pitt, so I got this experience with these seniors. He was much more mature and obviously he's older. I started to figure that out as I went along, but his maturity is the thing that stood out."

While Long will begin his Bears career at guard, Wise said he would line him up at left tackle from Day 1.

"You're always looking for a guy with height, a guy with reach and a guy with the athletic ability where he can turn on the edge at the tackle position," Wise explained. "As I look at it, he's got all those attributes. The other thing I'd throw in is that anybody can play guard.


"He's got real strong hands and the ability to strike with his hands. He also has reach and change of direction, so pass protection should come a little easier for him."


I would let him take some snaps at RT as well as LG in camp...I think that is where his future is...if James Brown does a good job at LG during camp then why not let Long compete with both Brown & Webb.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5485
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont agree that anyone can play Guard. We've seen that not to be true.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22677
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
I dont agree that anyone can play Guard. We've seen that not to be true.


Agreed…it might seem easier to play OG but it’s pretty clear not everyone can do it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MiBears4


Joined: 08 Feb 2013
Posts: 74
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Long Reply with quote

It probably depends on how you view the proper way to build a team. If you think the draft is part of the process of filling holes, then it would be alright to reach. If you think that you fill holes by FA and trading excess, then Long was a reach.

The later is predicated on the fact that you would take BPA. If everything breaks right, you might be able to do both (IMHO).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9728
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
I dont agree that anyone can play Guard. We've seen that not to be true.


Agreed…it might seem easier to play OG but it’s pretty clear not everyone can do it.


LG might be a more important position in our protection scheme.

If we are sliding the center to the RG and helping the tackles with TE and backs the LG could be the player going one on one a majority of the game.

I think Long will play LG because we need someone who can match up with the Meltons and Geno Atkins of the world.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5485
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
I dont agree that anyone can play Guard. We've seen that not to be true.


Agreed…it might seem easier to play OG but it’s pretty clear not everyone can do it.


LG might be a more important position in our protection scheme.

If we are sliding the center to the RG and helping the tackles with TE and backs the LG could be the player going one on one a majority of the game.

I think Long will play LG because we need someone who can match up with the Meltons and Geno Atkins of the world.
Id rather Slauson play LG and Long at RG. I want to ease Long in. Let him gain so confidence. Slauson has experience at LG. Long doesn't really have experience anywhere so it shouldn't matter if he moves to RG.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mudderfudder77


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 1841
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Id rather Slauson play LG and Long at RG. I want to ease Long in. Let him gain so confidence. Slauson has experience at LG. Long doesn't really have experience anywhere so it shouldn't matter if he moves to RG.


The only experience Long has is the left side of the line and playing in a left stance. I don't know how comfortable you make him by bringing him into camp and immediately placing him into a position he's never played before.

I have no doubt Long can play the left or right side - but if we're concerned about confidence, I don't know if moving him to the right side is really going to help him.
_________________


Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22677
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Id rather Slauson play LG and Long at RG. I want to ease Long in. Let him gain so confidence. Slauson has experience at LG. Long doesn't really have experience anywhere so it shouldn't matter if he moves to RG.


The only experience Long has is the left side of the line and playing in a left stance. I don't know how comfortable you make him by bringing him into camp and immediately placing him into a position he's never played before.

I have no doubt Long can play the left or right side - but if we're concerned about confidence, I don't know if moving him to the right side is really going to help him.


I feel Long should start out at either LG or RT but making the point that Long has only ever had experience on the left side of the line and playing in a left stance can also be made for Slauson when it comes to the NFL…he has been doing it for the last 4 years in the NFL…so for me it would be more difficult to change his technique for the right side rather than the guy who has only played on the Oline for a year…

In all honesty I would love Long to be able to play RT and have James Brown step up and win the LG job…I think that would give us two young pieces on the Oline to build around…I doubt we go down that road and we will more than like have Long at LG…I think the starting Oline will be…

Bushrod…Long…Garza…Slauson…Webb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mudderfudder77


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 1841
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:

I feel Long should start out at either LG or RT but making the point that Long has only ever had experience on the left side of the line and playing in a left stance can also be made for Slauson when it comes to the NFL…he has been doing it for the last 4 years in the NFL…so for me it would be more difficult to change his technique for the right side rather than the guy who has only played on the Oline for a year…


Slauson played every position on the line but C during his 5 years at Nebraska - including his entire Sophmore season at RT, and his entire Senior season at RG. He's played OL since high school.

Kyle Long... hasn't.
_________________


Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9728
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might sound dumb but it is real.

Long is left handed which makes it easier to play on the left side. It is more natural and we should let him stay at the side he feels most comfortable.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22677
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

I feel Long should start out at either LG or RT but making the point that Long has only ever had experience on the left side of the line and playing in a left stance can also be made for Slauson when it comes to the NFL…he has been doing it for the last 4 years in the NFL…so for me it would be more difficult to change his technique for the right side rather than the guy who has only played on the Oline for a year…


Slauson played every position on the line but C during his 5 years at Nebraska - including his entire Sophmore season at RT, and his entire Senior season at RG. He's played OL since high school.

Kyle Long... hasn't.


Yeah at Nebraska...but in the NFL he has only played at LG...if you do something day in day out for 4 years it becomes ingrained in you and is harder to shake off and learn something new than if you are just trying to learn something from scratch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pinky


Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 570
Location: London, England
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

I feel Long should start out at either LG or RT but making the point that Long has only ever had experience on the left side of the line and playing in a left stance can also be made for Slauson when it comes to the NFL…he has been doing it for the last 4 years in the NFL…so for me it would be more difficult to change his technique for the right side rather than the guy who has only played on the Oline for a year…


Slauson played every position on the line but C during his 5 years at Nebraska - including his entire Sophmore season at RT, and his entire Senior season at RG. He's played OL since high school.

Kyle Long... hasn't.


Yeah at Nebraska...but in the NFL he has only played at LG...if you do something day in day out for 4 years it becomes ingrained in you and is harder to shake off and learn something new than if you are just trying to learn something from scratch.


I was under the impression Slauson had played C during preseason?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22677
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinky wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

I feel Long should start out at either LG or RT but making the point that Long has only ever had experience on the left side of the line and playing in a left stance can also be made for Slauson when it comes to the NFL…he has been doing it for the last 4 years in the NFL…so for me it would be more difficult to change his technique for the right side rather than the guy who has only played on the Oline for a year…


Slauson played every position on the line but C during his 5 years at Nebraska - including his entire Sophmore season at RT, and his entire Senior season at RG. He's played OL since high school.

Kyle Long... hasn't.


Yeah at Nebraska...but in the NFL he has only played at LG...if you do something day in day out for 4 years it becomes ingrained in you and is harder to shake off and learn something new than if you are just trying to learn something from scratch.


I was under the impression Slauson had played C during preseason?


I think he played something like half a game and was bad at it according to Jets fans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5485
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the bowl game against Kansas State. He definitely needs to work on his technique. He's a fantastic puller though. His offseason is obviously what made him go so high.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G08


Joined: 28 Feb 2011
Posts: 948
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
I just watched the bowl game against Kansas State. He definitely needs to work on his technique. He's a fantastic puller though. His offseason is obviously what made him go so high.


Specifically what is it about his technique that you feel needs refinement?
_________________

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group