Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears take OT Kyle Long
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
And again, I'd like to note that Long has the intensity of a serial killer compared to Webb.
Most serial killers are not wild eyed lunatics (not saying Kyle is this) but ordinary schmucks one would not look twice at on the street. That is how they get away with it as long as they do. They are more likely to resemble "Dr." H.H. Holmes than Ditka.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
And again, I'd like to note that Long has the intensity of a serial killer compared to Webb.

Speaking of Webb, I know the general tenor has been that he had an adequate year at LT and many people expect more from him in a move to RT but is it conceivable that he is on the bench or off the team (traded or released ) by the time the season comes around? It is conceivable our coaches will lose their minds but very unlikely.

They have added so many players through FA and the draft I can't help thinking that perhaps even a guy we thought could be a plus ends up losing his job completely.

At this stage I expect him to contribute but right now very little is set in stone. Bushrod at LT and Garza at C and that's it.
Webb has started for three straight years and has shown excellent durability. He would not be unemployed for a day should the Bears get stupid. You don't throw away players who have shown they can start game after game. That is EXACTLY what you are looking for for an NFL player. And he is still young. I would cut Bushrod before Webb.
TexasBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Speaking of Webb, I know the general tenor has been that he had an adequate year at LT and many people expect more from him in a move to RT but is it conceivable that he is on the bench or off the team (traded or released ) by the time the season comes around? It is conceivable our coaches will lose their minds but very unlikely.

They have added so many players through FA and the draft I can't help thinking that perhaps even a guy we thought could be a plus ends up losing his job completely.

At this stage I expect him to contribute but right now very little is set in stone. Bushrod at LT and Garza at C and that's it.
Webb has started for three straight years and has shown excellent durability. He would not be unemployed for a day should the Bears get stupid. You don't throw away players who have shown they can start game after game. That is EXACTLY what you are looking for for an NFL player. And he is still young. I would cut Bushrod before Webb.

So you'd cut a Pro Bowler and the 2011 leader in snaps taken before you'd cut Webb, who, prior to last year was the WORST lineman in the NFL?

This is why you aren't an NFL GM, right there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Wait, Webb is a pretty solid player, he just can't play LT at this point in his career. But to say you'd cut Bushrod over Webb is stupid. Why? So we can move Webb back to LT and struggle to find a RT? Great idea!
Epyon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexasBearsFan wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

So you'd cut a Pro Bowler and the 2011 leader in snaps taken before you'd cut Webb, who, prior to last year was the WORST lineman in the NFL?

Well, there's a reason you aren't one either....

Bushrod and Webb have nearly identical grades at LT... despite Bushrod being a "probowler".... One could argue getting Bushrod was actually one of the worst moves of our offseason, since he's getting roughly 7x more money than Webb, and statistically is almost the same player.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a Webb supporter (at all), but his ability to avoid being injured has value, as does the fact he's getting paid peanuts, comparatively. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Bushrod goes before Webb, actually (assuming Long steps up, and/or there's no major changes in Bushrod's/Webb's performance levels)
da_bears6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:
TexasBearsFan wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Bushrod and Webb have nearly identical grades at LT... despite Bushrod being a "probowler".... One could argue getting Bushrod was actually one of the worst moves of our offseason, since he's getting roughly 7x more money than Webb, and statistically is almost the same player.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a Webb supporter (at all), but his ability to avoid being injured has value, as does the fact he's getting paid peanuts, comparatively. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Bushrod goes before Webb, actually (assuming Long steps up, and/or there's no major changes in Bushrod's/Webb's performance levels)

That is also because Webb is still on his rookie contract. I think 1-3 years Long can step up and start at RT and maybe after that move to LT.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexasBearsFan wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

No, it is because of a conspiracy created to keep unknowns out of the league.

Bushrod's best days are behind him whereas Webbs are still ahead of him. And as the earlier poster noted there is not much difference between the two certainly not 700%.

When your offense puts up yardage and points at a far greater rate than that of the Bears it is easy to lead in "snaps taken". Webb missed no offensive snaps so that is all HE can do in that regard.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:
TexasBearsFan wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

I see no reason not to think Webb is going to continue to improve whereas Bushrod won't get much better, if any. I do not believe signing him for that much was any great deal for anyone but him but we'll see.
Walshy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saints threw a lot more than we did. To make the evaluation that Bushrod is worse than Webb with only stats is silly.

Adopt-Bear:Jon Bostic Tackles: 56 INT:1 Sack:1
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am normally pretty pessimistic about our picks but I have a really good feint about Long and I am excited about what he is going to do.
thebeast15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to reiterate this again..

Last year:

LT: Webb
LG: Rachal, Brown
C: Garza, E. Williams
RG: Louis, Spencer
RT: Carimi, Jon Scott

This year:

LT: Jermon Bushrod
RG: Chris Long, James Brown
C: Garza, Edwin Williams
RG: Matt Slauson
RT: Webb, Mills

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebeast15 wrote:

Last year:

This year:

That's a huge gamble, playing two RGs is going to leave a big hole somewhere between our center and our LT, and turning a D-lineman into an O-lineman over the off-season Laughing

I know what you mean though, we've upgraded four out of the five positions on the OL from last season. Love how we've just had a complete overhaul, it was needed.
2014 Adopt-a-Bear: S #45 Brock Vereen
Tackles: 5 || Interceptions: 0 || Forced Fumbles: 0
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Kyle Long wanted to come back and play with Oregon after only starting a few games for the Ducks due to injury. He was already rated pretty highly before this, and he could have just lived off his dad's name to be drafted. This isn't the NFL where you get a bunch of bucks by staying in school and getting better, anymore. Plus, I don't know how much higher a body type like his could have gotten drafted. He honestly wants to get better as a football player. He petitioned the NCAA to give him another year, but he was turned down. People can give him crap for being too raw after only really getting playing time in a half a season, or not having a LT body, or "living off his dad's name", but he's honestly trying to get better, and you can't coach that. He's a project LG, IMO, at this point, but I wouldn't bet against him.
I agree he wants to become better. I just wouldn't wanna reach on him as a Lions fan at #20.

Sig bet
ak06max

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

You are crazy. Cut Bushrod for Webb. You cant teach a O line men to have fire and thats what Webb is missing, He is way to nice he needs some ugly until he himself can do that he will be mediocre at best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RidiculousJames wrote:
thebeast15 wrote:

Last year:

This year:

That's a huge gamble, playing two RGs is going to leave a big hole somewhere between our center and our LT, and turning a D-lineman into an O-lineman over the off-season Laughing

I know what you mean though, we've upgraded four out of the five positions on the OL from last season. Love how we've just had a complete overhaul, it was needed.

Well played Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: