Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears take OT Kyle Long
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berrianburns80 wrote:
By 2014, he's the starting RT. I'm very confident in that.

This I would agree with...I think the fact the game Emery saw him play live in was as a LT against Arizona State and not at OG is evidence of this...also his body type is far better suited to the OT position than it is to the OG position…like I said before I like how he handled himself at the press conference and you can’t blame the guy for being drafted that high…but he has to be a success on the outside to be worth the pick IMO.
#22dabears

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BearsFanForever wrote:
berrianburns80 wrote:
#22dabears wrote:
Excellent post ! Welcome back berrianburns. I'd take any of the players listed above in the 2nd round, except for the OL. My preference would be either LB or CB and I would be ecstatic if it were A.Brown, J.Banks or J.Taylor.

Thanks! Glad to be back! I forgot how active this forum was. Good stuff. I agree OLine is probably no longer a need...I just personally really like the 2 centers I listed. But I'm still not sure about Jones knees...

As for Long, you guys who keep saying "he only had 4 starts!"...do you realize the guy JUST transferred to Oregon from a JUCO last summer? He wasn't even there to participate/learn the offense in their spring practices. Not to mention he was going from JUCO competition to FBS competition. The fact that Chip Kelly had the confidence to throw him in the starting lineup in the middle of the year is a POSITIVE thing in my book.

Like I said before, if this kid would've just played football instead of baseball/not had the DUI...he would've went to a major program, started 4 years, and been a top 10 pick. Guys that size who are that athletic are so rare. Do you honestly think he's gonna have trouble transitioning to playing offensive guard? No chance.

I think he starts Week 1 for the Bears at RG. By 2014, he's the starting RT. I'm very confident in that.

I for one am very excited about this pick. Ya I was hoping some other linemen would drop, but there would be no way I would ever move up to get them with the amount of picks we have.

For years the bears O has been the joke of the league, and this pick will help solidify our line and help prove that Cutler is worth what we are paying him. This not only helps Cutler, but will open holes for Forte by virtue of not having 8 mean in the box all the time. Give Cutler time, will force opposing Defenses to lay back some.

Now I think its a good time to trade back our #2 pick, to pick up some extra picks.

There is a ton of depth in this draft, we dont need to hold on to that pick.

USUALLY, you don't draft a guard in the 1st round unless he's elite. USUALLY though, you don't have 6 OL drafted in the top 10 nor do you have so little players drafted at the skills positions on offense. USUALLY, you don't have roughly 60 players that could potentially be drafted in the first round. That says a whole lot about the unique dynamics of this draft. I don't believe everything that comes out of Emery's mouth, but I do believe all of this had a whole lot to do with the way things unfolded. At the end of the day, Long should be a huge upgrade at a position of need and that's all I really care about

sig by chisoxguy7
bkokot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#22dabears wrote:
BearsFanForever wrote:
berrianburns80 wrote:
#22dabears wrote:
Excellent post ! Welcome back berrianburns. I'd take any of the players listed above in the 2nd round, except for the OL. My preference would be either LB or CB and I would be ecstatic if it were A.Brown, J.Banks or J.Taylor.

Thanks! Glad to be back! I forgot how active this forum was. Good stuff. I agree OLine is probably no longer a need...I just personally really like the 2 centers I listed. But I'm still not sure about Jones knees...

As for Long, you guys who keep saying "he only had 4 starts!"...do you realize the guy JUST transferred to Oregon from a JUCO last summer? He wasn't even there to participate/learn the offense in their spring practices. Not to mention he was going from JUCO competition to FBS competition. The fact that Chip Kelly had the confidence to throw him in the starting lineup in the middle of the year is a POSITIVE thing in my book.

Like I said before, if this kid would've just played football instead of baseball/not had the DUI...he would've went to a major program, started 4 years, and been a top 10 pick. Guys that size who are that athletic are so rare. Do you honestly think he's gonna have trouble transitioning to playing offensive guard? No chance.

I think he starts Week 1 for the Bears at RG. By 2014, he's the starting RT. I'm very confident in that.

I for one am very excited about this pick. Ya I was hoping some other linemen would drop, but there would be no way I would ever move up to get them with the amount of picks we have.

For years the bears O has been the joke of the league, and this pick will help solidify our line and help prove that Cutler is worth what we are paying him. This not only helps Cutler, but will open holes for Forte by virtue of not having 8 mean in the box all the time. Give Cutler time, will force opposing Defenses to lay back some.

Now I think its a good time to trade back our #2 pick, to pick up some extra picks.

There is a ton of depth in this draft, we dont need to hold on to that pick.

USUALLY, you don't draft a guard in the 1st round unless he's elite. USUALLY though, you don't have 6 OL drafted in the top 10 nor do you have so little players drafted at the skills positions on offense. USUALLY, you don't have roughly 60 players that could potentially be drafted in the first round. That says a whole lot about the unique dynamics of this draft. I don't believe everything that comes out of Emery's mouth, but I do believe all of this had a whole lot to do with the way things unfolded. At the end of the day, Long should be a huge upgrade at a position of need and that's all I really care about

Reach or not, I think if our next 2 picks improve our team as much as this one did, we should all be very happy with this draft.
BearsDen1-99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like his attitude on being a Bear. i like that for sure. and i think he is going to be good....been to many crappy o-line drafts that he has to pan out, its time one does!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you look at picks 20 through 32, it's difficult to pick out a clear-cut better option; most (if not all) of those guys are either poor fits, have question marks, or address a position with no need. I think we're going to see a lot of 20/20 hindsight in a few years but we shouldn't forget the ambiguity that lingers right now.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And again, I'd like to note that Long has the intensity of a serial killer compared to Webb.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
And again, I'd like to note that Long has the intensity of a serial killer compared to Webb.

Speaking of Webb, I know the general tenor has been that he had an adequate year at LT and many people expect more from him in a move to RT but is it conceivable that he is on the bench or off the team (traded or released ) by the time the season comes around?

They have added so many players through FA and the draft I can't help thinking that perhaps even a guy we thought could be a plus ends up losing his job completely.

At this stage I expect him to contribute but right now very little is set in stone. Bushrod at LT and Garza at C and that's it.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Speaking of Webb, I know the general tenor has been that he had an adequate year at LT and many people expect more from him in a move to RT but is it conceivable that he is on the bench or off the team (traded or released ) by the time the season comes around?

They have added so many players through FA and the draft I can't help thinking that perhaps even a guy we thought could be a plus ends up losing his job completely.

At this stage I expect him to contribute but right now very little is set in stone. Bushrod at LT and Garza at C and that's it.

With the exception of giving rookies a chance to grow, initial indications are that the best will stay and the rest will go. Under this regime it does not sound like making the roster will be as arbitrary as it appeared to be in the past.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too Long’s credit he travelled to Chicago for his press conference then flew back to Oregon to attend their spring game after telling coaches he would…that is some leadership right there.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Too Long’s credit he travelled to Chicago for his press conference then flew back to Oregon to attend their spring game after telling coaches he would…that is some leadership right there.

Although this team needs football players, some of his intangibles played into selling him to the staff. I am OK with that playing a role, as long as they don't over-estimate the value/priority of that role.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been hard on the pick but I like Kyle Long. I'm a Duck fan so I wanted him taken in the first cuz I like see us drafted. However, I feel he was reached for slightly. JMO but good luck.

Sig bet
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mel's grade: C+

Kiper Jr. snippet: "My issue with [Kyle] Long isn't that he's short on talent -- he's not. I just wasn't in love with the value."Umm...the moron had him mocked to the Bears at 20. Sorry, Mel, just as the Bears do not get do-overs when they have Kyle Long at the top of their board at 20 before the draft, neither do you!

This is the problem with people like Kiper, they always want to have the benefit of hindsight, yet want to change their minds on the spot. What makes him think that because players dropped that a team's pick is bad? The reason they dropped is because all 19 teams before them did not find the player's value over-rode their picks for one reason or another...even if that reason was drafting for need rather than BPA.

The Bears got grief (deservedly so) when Angelo made picks where he thought he knew better than 31 other teams, yet these clowns expect the Bears to pick someone that everyone before them did not pick over the person they put at the top of their board at that spot, based on scouting and all of the pre-draft work they put into the decision?

They can't win for going against the grain and they can't win going with conventional wisdom. Rolling Eyes
justo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Long wanted to come back and play with Oregon after only starting a few games for the Ducks due to injury. He was already rated pretty highly before this, and he could have just lived off his dad's name to be drafted. This isn't the NFL where you get a bunch of bucks by staying in school and getting better, anymore. Plus, I don't know how much higher a body type like his could have gotten drafted. He honestly wants to get better as a football player. He petitioned the NCAA to give him another year, but he was turned down. People can give him crap for being too raw after only really getting playing time in a half a season, or not having a LT body, or "living off his dad's name", but he's honestly trying to get better, and you can't coach that. He's a project LG, IMO, at this point, but I wouldn't bet against him.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
Chronickerr wrote:
Kyle Long may very well turn out to be a good player in the NFL but in terms of value this was the biggest reach I've seen in awhile in round 1 at the least coveted position in the league. Very disapointing pick IMO. Emery has me thinking he's got "I'm smarter than everyone" syndrome" and he's losing me a little bit.

No the biggest reach was EJ Manuel. I think this can be classified as a like but don't love pick (yet). Eifert would have been a great fit with the new offense being put in.
I dont think the Manuel pick was bad at all. Buffalo has a good team. They also gained a 2nd and 7th. Manuel is a similar player to Cam Newton.
Buffalo did well to trade their pick. Let St. Louis blow it.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
berrianburns80 wrote:
#22dabears wrote:

And why had he just transferred in from a JUCO?...because he was an idiot who took drugs and didn’t go to class at Florida State so flunked out…

And Chip Kelly didn’t throw him in to the starting lineup…he was forced in because the Oregon Oline suffered so many injuries…

I hope he has matured since then and in all honestly I liked the way he carried himself at the presser…but anyone who thinks the fact he has only started 4 games at the FBS level isn’t going to be an issue in making the jump to the pros is kidding themselves…Kromer & Long himself have a lot of work to do for him to be a day one starter.
What drugs did he take? Pot? Well clearly that makes him worthless? All I have heard about is booze. Had all the past players been held to the same standards as today's player wrt to booze there would be no NFL.

Young people obviously can screw up big time with these substances (and booze is the worst) and Long did. But that is just part of growing up unfortunately.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 14 of 18

Jump to: