Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears take OT Kyle Long
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronickerr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
Chronickerr wrote:
Kyle Long may very well turn out to be a good player in the NFL but in terms of value this was the biggest reach I've seen in awhile in round 1 at the least coveted position in the league. Very disapointing pick IMO. Emery has me thinking he's got "I'm smarter than everyone" syndrome" and he's losing me a little bit.

No the biggest reach was EJ Manuel. I think this can be classified as a like but don't love pick (yet). Eifert would have been a great fit with the new offense being put in.
I dont think the Manuel pick was bad at all. Buffalo has a good team. They also gained a 2nd and 7th. Manuel is a similar player to Cam Newton.

Not to mention they traded back in order to get him AND hes a QB.
shruj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronickerr wrote:
DaMike wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
Chronickerr wrote:
Kyle Long may very well turn out to be a good player in the NFL but in terms of value this was the biggest reach I've seen in awhile in round 1 at the least coveted position in the league. Very disapointing pick IMO. Emery has me thinking he's got "I'm smarter than everyone" syndrome" and he's losing me a little bit.

No the biggest reach was EJ Manuel. I think this can be classified as a like but don't love pick (yet). Eifert would have been a great fit with the new offense being put in.
I dont think the Manuel pick was bad at all. Buffalo has a good team. They also gained a 2nd and 7th. Manuel is a similar player to Cam Newton.

I think Buffalo went with sheer upside. I don't know if he can be as good as Newton.
Chronickerr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shruj wrote:
Chronickerr wrote:
DaMike wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
Chronickerr wrote:

I think Buffalo went with sheer upside. I don't know if he can be as good as Newton.

Buffalo just got rid of their starter from last year and needed a QB. They obviously liked EJ the most as they had their pick of the litter and traded back to get their guy.
theindianstud12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emery sucks at drafting. How you pass on a top 5 talent like Floyd is beyond me. Eifert gonna be a beast in Cinci too.
topwop1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theindianstud12 wrote:
Emery sucks at drafting. How you pass on a top 5 talent like Floyd is beyond me. Eifert gonna be a beast in Cinci.

You must have a crystal ball or something. Please tell us then, who is going to win the Super Bowl in 2014?
Chronickerr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theindianstud12 wrote:
Emery sucks at drafting. How you pass on a top 5 talent like Floyd is beyond me. Eifert gonna be a beast in Cinci too.

Weren't you the one who predicted Long as the pick before the draft happened? You predicted this stupidity or you have some inside info or something?
TexasBearsFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theindianstud12 wrote:

Makes me wonder why 15 other teams passed on this "top 5 talent". As to Eifert, it's hard to throw to all your amazing recievers when the QB is on his back. Hasn't that been the knock on us for years? That our O-line sucked? Now we're fixing it. This guy is literally, day 1, a starter at our biggest position of need on the line with a projection to move to a spot occupied by everyone's favorite, J-Webb Nation.

It's really comical. We drafted defense for years and years and everyone complained how we never drafted for o-line which was why our team sucked. Now we draft a guy who most of the pros think has huge upside and can be a day one starter at our weakest line position and suddenly everyone's flipping out.
#22dabears

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:
raq11 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
raq11 wrote:
People keep bringing up Floyd, it was just Monday that he was brought up by 2 scouts saying he was a media creation.

I'm not sold on Eifert, I don't think he's special, time will tell on that one though.

As for Long, he was ranked 29th by Mayock, not exactly a huge stretch to think Phil, or others, had him top 20. Some of you are acting like he was the 75th overall player. I don't mind this pick one bit, even if he's *only* a solid starting guard for 10 years.

And some bring up his DUI, but would have been ok with Ogletree? 2 years vs 2 months?

Mayock also had Floyd at #2...so you can't give him credit for Long then say Floyd was just a media creation.

fair enough, but I don't exactly have the scouts rankings on my desk right now.

I feel better about our team today than I did yesterday, and if we drafted Floyd or Eifert or Patterson, I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that.

If we drafted Eifert or Floyd, you WOULDNT feel comfortable that we had a better team??

Eifert would have been huge for us and we know from his time with Olsen that Cutler likes the TE. We do have Bennet but thats it, im not saying TE is a huge need but it wouldnt have been as much of a luxury as you guys are putting on. And we could have gotten a potentially elite one.

Same with Floyd, we only have 2 DT's(Paea and Melton) Melton is on a one year franchise deal and Paea has had some injury issues, nothing big but I doubt he starts all 16.....DT is a down right NEED and we could have gotten Floyd.

Im pretty sure Long will be the day 1 starter just based on draft position alone but I would question if he actually outplays a healthy Carimi in camp.

Dump Carimi (who is useless to us now) take his money, use it towards resigning Idonije and plug him at DT. Problem fix. You have an upgrade at G which enables a lateral move that increases depth. Sounds good to me Wink

sig by chisoxguy7
RidiculousJames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long's press conference starting in next couple of minutes here: http://www.chicagobears.com/live.html
2014 Adopt-a-Bear: S #45 Brock Vereen
Tackles: 12 || Interceptions: 0 || Forced Fumbles: 0
#22dabears

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Pinky wrote:
I am, indeed. But seeing him work wonders on later round picks only strengthens the argument to give him better quality tools to work with. If he can make "Carl Nicks, all-pro" out of "Carl Nicks, 5th round pick", then let's give him an elite athlete whose only issues are experience and mental hurdles, let him coach and reap the rewards. Most scout reports called him plug-and-play as a rookie, if he's starting now and he's still just getting started - i'm incredibly excited.

Now I would've bitten your arm off for Cooper or Warmack, too. Anyone can see their talent. If Emery considers Long's potential ceiling to be at an elite level, as he clearly does, then I place the same trust in his judgement - he's among the most well-versed, well-connected and well...frankly, intelligent men in football - he's reforming this team, and this is his plan.

4 starts...Emery is great...but he got this one wrong.

We do not know that till he plays.

You cannot judge potential right away and this guy is built on athletic ability and potential.

Give Kromer a year with this guy.

The selection was wrong...you don't take a guy who has started 4 games in the top 20...you just don't...

I hope when he does hit the field he is great...but he doesn't have a year under Kromer to become good...he has to be an instant impact player for us...like Eifert, Floyd or Rhodes would have been.

I liked all of those guys more than Long for us at 20 too but as far as instant impact goes none of those guys would have been starters in 2013 where as Long should be.

I don't LOVE the pick, but I get it.

Starter is a very lose term when it comes to us...considering how much we are anticipating us attacking the middle of the field we will play plenty of two TE sets and Eifert would have been a matchup problem...we play nickelback over 50% of the time and Rhodes would have been on the field for that time...and our Dline rotates as much as anyone so Floyd would have also played a ton of snaps.

Rhodes isn't a good fit for the Bears defense in my opinion. He's more of a 1 on 1 cover guy. From all indications, the Bears will continue to employ a predominantly zone based defense. Plus do you really draft a guy to play NB in the 1st?

Desmond Trufant on the other hand....

Agreed. Futhermore, there are plenty of solid zone corners left. Picking up corners for a zone defense in the 1st round is a bit of a wasted pick to me. Of course, I would've liked adding Trufant but to me, that would be more of a luxury pick than anything else.

sig by chisoxguy7
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the game Emery saw live this year of Long he was playing at LT and not guard...interesting.
#22dabears

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

If we drafted Eifert or Floyd, you WOULDNT feel comfortable that we had a better team??

Eifert would have been huge for us and we know from his time with Olsen that Cutler likes the TE. We do have Bennet but thats it, im not saying TE is a huge need but it wouldnt have been as much of a luxury as you guys are putting on. And we could have gotten a potentially elite one.

Same with Floyd, we only have 2 DT's(Paea and Melton) Melton is on a one year franchise deal and Paea has had some injury issues, nothing big but I doubt he starts all 16.....DT is a down right NEED and we could have gotten Floyd.

Im pretty sure Long will be the day 1 starter just based on draft position alone but I would question if he actually outplays a healthy Carimi in camp.

We have 4 more pics to draft a TE for Cutler to use as his binky.
I'd be fine even if we dont take a TE. I'd be fine with Bennett and Rodriguez and the Flex.

Yeah we shouldn't forget that Emery drafted E-Rod specifically to fill that role just last year. Definitely a factor in passing in Eifert IMO.

Good point AZ. It's easy to forget about E-Rod but I reckon the Bears have plans for him in this offense.

sig by chisoxguy7
berrianburns80

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#22dabears wrote:
Excellent post ! Welcome back berrianburns. I'd take any of the players listed above in the 2nd round, except for the OL. My preference would be either LB or CB and I would be ecstatic if it were A.Brown, J.Banks or J.Taylor.

Thanks! Glad to be back! I forgot how active this forum was. Good stuff. I agree OLine is probably no longer a need...I just personally really like the 2 centers I listed. But I'm still not sure about Jones knees...

As for Long, you guys who keep saying "he only had 4 starts!"...do you realize the guy JUST transferred to Oregon from a JUCO last summer? He wasn't even there to participate/learn the offense in their spring practices. Not to mention he was going from JUCO competition to FBS competition. The fact that Chip Kelly had the confidence to throw him in the starting lineup in the middle of the year is a POSITIVE thing in my book.

Like I said before, if this kid would've just played football instead of baseball/not had the DUI...he would've went to a major program, started 4 years, and been a top 10 pick. Guys that size who are that athletic are so rare. Do you honestly think he's gonna have trouble transitioning to playing offensive guard? No chance.

I think he starts Week 1 for the Bears at RG. By 2014, he's the starting RT. I'm very confident in that.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berrianburns80 wrote:
#22dabears wrote:
Excellent post ! Welcome back berrianburns. I'd take any of the players listed above in the 2nd round, except for the OL. My preference would be either LB or CB and I would be ecstatic if it were A.Brown, J.Banks or J.Taylor.

Thanks! Glad to be back! I forgot how active this forum was. Good stuff. I agree OLine is probably no longer a need...I just personally really like the 2 centers I listed. But I'm still not sure about Jones knees...

As for Long, you guys who keep saying "he only had 4 starts!"...do you realize the guy JUST transferred to Oregon from a JUCO last summer? He wasn't even there to participate/learn the offense in their spring practices. Not to mention he was going from JUCO competition to FBS competition. The fact that Chip Kelly had the confidence to throw him in the starting lineup in the middle of the year is a POSITIVE thing in my book.

Like I said before, if this kid would've just played football instead of baseball/not had the DUI...he would've went to a major program, started 4 years, and been a top 10 pick. Guys that size who are that athletic are so rare. Do you honestly think he's gonna have trouble transitioning to playing offensive guard? No chance.

I think he starts Week 1 for the Bears at RG. By 2014, he's the starting RT. I'm very confident in that.

And why had he just transferred in from a JUCO?...because he was an idiot who took drugs and didn’t go to class at Florida State so flunked out…

And Chip Kelly didn’t throw him in to the starting lineup…he was forced in because the Oregon Oline suffered so many injuries…

I hope he has matured since then and in all honestly I liked the way he carried himself at the presser…but anyone who thinks the fact he has only started 4 games at the FBS level isn’t going to be an issue in making the jump to the pros is kidding themselves…Kromer & Long himself have a lot of work to do for him to be a day one starter.

Last edited by Madmike90 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
BearsFanForever

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berrianburns80 wrote:
#22dabears wrote:

I for one am very excited about this pick. Ya I was hoping some other linemen would drop, but there would be no way I would ever move up to get them with the amount of picks we have.

For years the bears O has been the joke of the league, and this pick will help solidify our line and help prove that Cutler is worth what we are paying him. This not only helps Cutler, but will open holes for Forte by virtue of not having 8 mean in the box all the time. Give Cutler time, will force opposing Defenses to lay back some.

Now I think its a good time to trade back our #2 pick, to pick up some extra picks.

There is a ton of depth in this draft, we dont need to hold on to that pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 13 of 18

Jump to: