Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the #18 Overall Pick, 49ers Select S Eric Reid
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronnie's Pinky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
My only gripe about this year's draft is that we didn't come away with more 2014 picks but getting compensation picks next year should not be a problem. As I think we should get 3-4 round pick for Goldson and maybe 5-7 with Soap and RJF.

How many picks do you want next year? We've already got two extra 2nd day picks - 3rd from Tennessee and 2nd/3rd from the Chiefs depending on their record, plus an extra 7th, I believe. Being conservative, we'll probably get something like 4th, 5th, 7th in comps, and end up with a very similar set of picks to what we went in with this year. This FO seems to be very adept at handling 2nd day picks, and we're not going to have a lot of holes to fill next year, either, so I think what we've got at this point is more than enough.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
One area of similarity between Reid and Aldon is that they both struggled a bit during their senior seasons, Aldon due to recovering from the broken leg and Reid because he was the last man standing in an otherwise terrible secondary. I think the 49ers scouts try hard to look deeply into player performance and identify not only what has happened on the field, but also why, and they seem to be good at spotting players who are more talented than their statistical production would indicate.

Absolutely spot on! I was going to make the same comparison with Aldon in that the Niners don't make a rush judgment off one not so great season. Reid was great his junior season and they believe the coaching staff could get him to play that type of ball. Playing on a stacked defense, he will not be asked to make every single play like he had to in LSU. He does miss some tackles at times going for the big hit, but that is easily correctable. Heck, even Goldson and Whitner missed their fair share of tackles last year. I always say this, but our scheme is prevent the big play and make sure we have sound tackling underneath. We play cover 2 man more than any other team so he will have to be disciplined not biting for the PA. Luckily for him, our front 6-7 usually handles the run game with little help from the safeties. I know rudyZ always mentions this, but never under estimate the coaching he will receive from Ed Donatell. Even though Goldson played CB in college, his coverage skills from the safety position improved dramatically with the help of Donatell. I love the fact Reid brings the "fear factor" similar to Goldson. He's a physical player that will make you think twice when coming down the middle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
My only gripe about this year's draft is that we didn't come away with more 2014 picks but getting compensation picks next year should not be a problem. As I think we should get 3-4 round pick for Goldson and maybe 5-7 with Soap and RJF.

How many picks do you want next year? We've already got two extra 2nd day picks - 3rd from Tennessee and 2nd/3rd from the Chiefs depending on their record, plus an extra 7th, I believe. Being conservative, we'll probably get something like 4th, 5th, 7th in comps, and end up with a very similar set of picks to what we went in with this year. This FO seems to be very adept at handling 2nd day picks, and we're not going to have a lot of holes to fill next year, either, so I think what we've got at this point is more than enough.

More...no really I guess it was just my wish list that we some what come away with a first, I know we didn't get that but just my pre draft crush.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:

I know you just predicted 3 Comps, but I'm fine with 2 - especially if the Goldson loss nets us a third. The idea of 6 picks in the top 100 with the way our team drafts and knowing we'll likely be getting rid of at least one of those to move up - that excites me.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578
Ronnie's Pinky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
I know you just predicted 3 Comps, but I'm fine with 2 - especially if the Goldson loss nets us a third. The idea of 6 picks in the top 100 with the way our team drafts and knowing we'll likely be getting rid of at least one of those to move up - that excites me.

I'd be extremely pleased with a 3rd round comp next year, but I think a 4th is more likely, though we'll have to wait and see. Let's see:

Out: Dashon 8.25, Ice 4, Delanie 4.5, Billy Jean 5.5

In: Asomuggah 3, Dorsey 3, Dahl 1.75, Dawson 2

So we're basically at -12.5 million in UFA contracts at this point. Although...does Nmadi count? He was cut instead of hitting the market on an expired contract. Or does that only cancel out any comp pick Philly would get for him, but still hurt our comp picks? Anyway, there were only three 3rd round comps awarded in 2013, so we'd have to be very close to the top of the list, in theory, to get one.

The Steelers lost Mike Wallace for 12 million, Mendenhall for 2.5 million, Keenan Lewis for 5.25, and their small potatoes stuff probably about balances out, so they're at about -20 million in UFA contracts.

Baltimore lost Ed Reed for 5 million, Ellerbe for 7 million, and Kruger for 8 million, plus small potatoes stuff, which puts them at about -20 million, as well.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh will probably get 3rd rounders, I would guess. San Francisco looks to be the 3rd biggest loser of the offseason, but isn't that close to Pitt/Balt levels of losses because we've actually signed some guys in the offseason. My guess is we get a 4th, plus a couple more lower picks. Just ballparking it, but the league seems to reserve the 3rd rounders for the teams that really took a bath in free agency, and while our losses have hurt, we have signed players as well, while the Ravens and Steelers have basically stood pat in the UFA market.
Forge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

I'd be extremely pleased with a 3rd round comp next year, but I think a 4th is more likely, though we'll have to wait and see. Let's see:

Out: Dashon 8.25, Ice 4, Delanie 4.5, Billy Jean 5.5

In: Asomuggah 3, Dorsey 3, Dahl 1.75, Dawson 2

So we're basically at -12.5 million in UFA contracts at this point. Although...does Nmadi count? He was cut instead of hitting the market on an expired contract. Or does that only cancel out any comp pick Philly would get for him, but still hurt our comp picks? Anyway, there were only three 3rd round comps awarded in 2013, so we'd have to be very close to the top of the list, in theory, to get one.

The Steelers lost Mike Wallace for 12 million, Mendenhall for 2.5 million, Keenan Lewis for 5.25, and their small potatoes stuff probably about balances out, so they're at about -20 million in UFA contracts.

Baltimore lost Ed Reed for 5 million, Ellerbe for 7 million, and Kruger for 8 million, plus small potatoes stuff, which puts them at about -20 million, as well.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh will probably get 3rd rounders, I would guess. San Francisco looks to be the 3rd biggest loser of the offseason, but isn't that close to Pitt/Balt levels of losses because we've actually signed some guys in the offseason. My guess is we get a 4th, plus a couple more lower picks. Just ballparking it, but the league seems to reserve the 3rd rounders for the teams that really took a bath in free agency, and while our losses have hurt, we have signed players as well, while the Ravens and Steelers have basically stood pat in the UFA market.

You are correct; because Nnamdi was cut, he would not count against us for the purposes of compensatory picks. Personally, I see us getting two comps; one in the fourth and one in the 6th/7th. That to me is okay though. Depending on what the trigger for a second rounder for Alex is (I think its number of games one, just not sure the amount...maybe 8?), its very possible we can end up with: 1 first, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, 2 fourths, a fifth, 2 sixths and 2 sevenths. I think that's a pretty good number of picks and would allow us to once again move around the draft when needed.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: