Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the #18 Overall Pick, 49ers Select S Eric Reid
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
49ersfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilmtalk wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
Overall, I am pretty happy with Eric Reid. I remember reading on Walterfootball.com about how the 49ers were very interested in Reid and that they really wanted him. I fully believe that was Harbaugh's guy. I am a little shocked that we traded up for him but we didnt really give up a whole lot.

From what I hear about Reid is that he is a hard hitting great cover safety. He has poor tackling form and misses tackles but he still knows how to lay the wood. He seems very athletic and as long as he can learn quickly, he will be the starting FS.

I dont argue with draft selections anymore because the confidence of our coaching staff just cant be ignored. They are so confident they can make anyone good that i just roll with it. So far, I'd say they're doing a very good job at it.

Only one red flag thus far: AJ Jenkins, last year's 1st round pick. He has done nothing, thus far. Jury is still out on that pick.

The Niners fell in love with Jenkins last year and drafted him far higher than anyone else had him. If they really wanted him they could have had him a lot farther down in the draft. It makes me wonder about their objectivity when they focus on " their guy" They could be penny wise and pound foolish. Draft well in the later rounds but over pay when they really like and are focused on someone. Makes me sort of question if they needed to move up that much to get their first pick this year. Think they could have done much better on that deal. They better show a little more savey with their remaining capital for the rest of the draft. Perhaps their over-abundence of rich's has impelled them to be less careful and more willing to spend like drunken sailors.

Did we all of a sudden forget the Rams had him in their sights at pick 33?

You don't have to like the guy, and Jenkins has done nothing to warrant his draft spot yet. But he was not going to last long.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
After all the trouble Honey Badger's had and all thos attempts to look like he's turned the page on that and moved on he invites the world to his personal draft party??? I'm guessing that stupidity cost him another round in the draft. Maybe somebody will find his talent too big to ignore, but at some point you gotta worry about taking a chance on a guy like that. In any case, the 49ers in particular seem to look for "good citizens" as well as talented players.

Na'Vorro Bowman dropped because of character issues, and Anthony Davis' character was considered questionable, as well. If the FO thinks Mathieu can improve the team more than whoever else is available, I doubt they would pass on him. I don't see us taking him in the 2nd, but if he's still there at the bottom of the third...well, stranger things have happened.

There's a difference between a guy with "character issues" and a guy with drug problems so severe they'vve already adversely impacted his career. There's a whole lot more that goes into long teerm success than physical talent ... pr, we ccould sign Jamarcus as a backup QB for us.

That is the true definition of Ty Mathieu's issues. I want no part of him. Why? He has shown a repetitive lack of self control. The substance he was abusing was more important than his opportunity to play college football.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilmtalk wrote:

The Niners fell in love with Jenkins last year and drafted him far higher than anyone else had him. If they really wanted him they could have had him a lot farther down in the draft. It makes me wonder about their objectivity when they focus on " their guy" They could be penny wise and pound foolish. Draft well in the later rounds but over pay when they really like and are focused on someone. Makes me sort of question if they needed to move up that much to get their first pick this year. Think they could have done much better on that deal. They better show a little more savey with their remaining capital for the rest of the draft. Perhaps their over-abundence of rich's has impelled them to be less careful and more willing to spend like drunken sailors.

This is NOT what the rumor mill was sayinng immediately after the draft. "Sources" were saying other teams drafting right after us wanted Jenkins too. Second giving up only pick 74 to move up from 31 to 18 is fantastic. Sometimes it takes that much to move up into the mid 20's. So they could hardly have gotten a better deal. And finally, by the time the draft actually happened most of the mocks I looked at (and that waas about 10 the day before the draft) all had Reid going in the 20's. So if we wanted him we had to move up to get him. Again the price we paid was really low for how far we moved up.

Oh, and you make it sound like "overpaying" is on on-going problem for this team. Really? Did we over pay for Kap? Did we overpay for Davis who is quickly becoming one of the best tackles in the league? You can argue based on what we've seem that MAYBE we overpaid for Jenkins, but it won't be clear we see more of him - or, of course, we never see more of him.

Bascially this seems like a huge over-reaction to me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
There's a difference between a guy with "character issues" and a guy with drug problems so severe they'vve already adversely impacted his career. There's a whole lot more that goes into long teerm success than physical talent ... pr, we ccould sign Jamarcus as a backup QB for us.

Ehh...Bowman was suspended by Penn State and put on probation for kicking somebody's [inappropriate/removed] in an alley, and then he smoked weed while on probation, among other violations. That was pretty much the reason he wasn't a 1st round pick, so yeah, I'd say it adversely affected his career. Is what Mathieu did worse? Probably, but there is certainly precedent for the 49ers to take a chance on a player with perceived character flaws.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
After all the trouble Honey Badger's had and all thos attempts to look like he's turned the page on that and moved on he invites the world to his personal draft party??? I'm guessing that stupidity cost him another round in the draft. Maybe somebody will find his talent too big to ignore, but at some point you gotta worry about taking a chance on a guy like that. In any case, the 49ers in particular seem to look for "good citizens" as well as talented players.

Na'Vorro Bowman dropped because of character issues, and Anthony Davis' character was considered questionable, as well. If the FO thinks Mathieu can improve the team more than whoever else is available, I doubt they would pass on him. I don't see us taking him in the 2nd, but if he's still there at the bottom of the third...well, stranger things have happened.

we wanted janoris jenkins last year. both players had similar ish problems

new sig... sorry alex
adamq

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathieu is so overrated its riduculous. .. put up sme highlights on SC and you ar an automatic day 1/2 pick.. id rather keep perrish cox and use a pick elsewhere

-kiltman

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'd rather have Tebow than any other QB in the NFL besides Rodgers, and I may even take him over Rodgers due to the difference in age.
49ers4life52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Reid arriving to the 49ers Headquarters. Love his attitude and from I can tell a really genuine young individual.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Eric-Reid-Arrives-49ers-HQ/4caf20dd-2784-44c2-80e8-1a541bcef9b6

^Kempes^
FG21_PW52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
wilmtalk wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
Overall, I am pretty happy with Eric Reid. I remember reading on Walterfootball.com about how the 49ers were very interested in Reid and that they really wanted him. I fully believe that was Harbaugh's guy. I am a little shocked that we traded up for him but we didnt really give up a whole lot.

From what I hear about Reid is that he is a hard hitting great cover safety. He has poor tackling form and misses tackles but he still knows how to lay the wood. He seems very athletic and as long as he can learn quickly, he will be the starting FS.

I dont argue with draft selections anymore because the confidence of our coaching staff just cant be ignored. They are so confident they can make anyone good that i just roll with it. So far, I'd say they're doing a very good job at it.

Only one red flag thus far: AJ Jenkins, last year's 1st round pick. He has done nothing, thus far. Jury is still out on that pick.

Did we all of a sudden forget the Rams had him in their sights at pick 33?

You don't have to like the guy, and Jenkins has done nothing to warrant his draft spot yet. But he was not going to last long.

there is no reason to worry about Jenkins...yet. the 49ers were the only team in the league last year to have 0 rookies start all year. we had the depth to where AJ could sit and learn. now, he should probably be the #2 with Mario in the slot, or the other way around. Idk, but we'll see once week 1 against the Pack rolls around. I have high hopes for Jenkins, I think he'll be really good.

candyman93 wrote:
San Francisco is going to put an unmerciful beat down on everyone they play next year.
wilmtalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
wilmtalk wrote:

This is NOT what the rumor mill was sayinng immediately after the draft. "Sources" were saying other teams drafting right after us wanted Jenkins too. Second giving up only pick 74 to move up from 31 to 18 is fantastic. Sometimes it takes that much to move up into the mid 20's. So they could hardly have gotten a better deal. And finally, by the time the draft actually happened most of the mocks I looked at (and that waas about 10 the day before the draft) all had Reid going in the 20's. So if we wanted him we had to move up to get him. Again the price we paid was really low for how far we moved up.

Oh, and you make it sound like "overpaying" is on on-going problem for this team. Really? Did we over pay for Kap? Did we overpay for Davis who is quickly becoming one of the best tackles in the league? You can argue based on what we've seem that MAYBE we overpaid for Jenkins, but it won't be clear we see more of him - or, of course, we never see more of him.

I think the reason for drafting Jenkins a wide receiver rather than a Rb ( Martin) was that there was more of an immediate need for a WR. Well Jenkins didn't provide immediate help even though injuries made that a necessity. So they could just as well have gotten Martin for the future as Jenkins for the future.

Not saying that the team paid too much to move up to 18. It was actually not that bad. But rather that they didn't have to move up that far. They could have gotten Reed by just moving into the late first round. The next D taken was by Jacksonville with the first pick of the second. It did turn out alright for them in that they did get Tank and even added a pick in doing so, however they didn't know that at the time that they made the trade for #18. It would have cost them far less to move up a few picks rather than the unnecessary number that they did. Well again it wasn't that bad a move because they got the guy they wanted and still added a pick and Tank. But I still think I am right about them being a bit generous with their move because they had so many picks to work with. I would also not compare Jenkins with Reed. I think Reed was Harbough's pick and I trust him more.

As to other teams saying they wanted Jenkins after the niner's picked him I wonder how many are still sticking with that story. LOL. Hope I am wrong about Jenkins though. Reminds me of the JJ Stokes pick.
DirtyJersey9er

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilmtalk wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
wilmtalk wrote:

I think the reason for drafting Jenkins a wide receiver rather than a Rb ( Martin) was that there was more of an immediate need for a WR. Well Jenkins didn't provide immediate help even though injuries made that a necessity. So they could just as well have gotten Martin for the future as Jenkins for the future.

Not saying that the team paid too much to move up to 18. It was actually not that bad. But rather that they didn't have to move up that far. They could have gotten Reed by just moving into the late first round. The next D taken was by Jacksonville with the first pick of the second. It did turn out alright for them in that they did get Tank and even added a pick in doing so, however they didn't know that at the time that they made the trade for #18. It would have cost them far less to move up a few picks rather than the unnecessary number that they did. Well again it wasn't that bad a move because they got the guy they wanted and still added a pick and Tank. But I still think I am right about them being a bit generous with their move because they had so many picks to work with. I would also not compare Jenkins with Reed. I think Reed was Harbough's pick and I trust him more.

As to other teams saying they wanted Jenkins after the niner's picked him I wonder how many are still sticking with that story. LOL. Hope I am wrong about Jenkins though. Reminds me of the JJ Stokes pick.

I said this a few times but NO there was no way they were getting Reid if they hadn't moved up to before pick 21. So they moved to the closest team to that pick that would take a trade. Just happened to be Dallas at 18.[/b]

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
wilmtalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DirtyJersey9er"][quote="wilmtalk"]
big9erfan wrote:
wilmtalk wrote:

.Oh, and you make it sound like "overpaying" is on on-going problem for this team. Really? Did we over pay for Kap? Did we overpay for Davis who is quickly becoming one of the best tackles in the league? You can argue based on what we've seem that MAYBE we overpaid for Jenkins, but it won't be clear we see more of him - or, of course, we never see more of him.

I said this a few times but NO there was no way they were getting Reid if they hadn't moved up to before pick 21. So they moved to the closest team to that pick that would take a trade. Just happened to be Dallas at 18.[/b]

Never implied that over paying was an on going problem. It only seemed suspicious to me that it might be so in relation to players that they had targeted early. You know becoming focused on a player and losing objectivity.

You could be right about needing to get Reed before the 21st pick. I do feel better about this pick since it seems to be Harboughs choice rather than TB's. Well time will tell if it was a good pick. Would not even have brought up the Jenkins pick other than TB's praising that pick as a steal. They build up he gave Jenkins after the pick was way over the top in retrospect. He seemed tickled pink with his pick. Which sort of speaks to TB's lack of judgement in this case.
The-Catch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that often gets lost in the shuffle is on the field wise, there may not have been a big difference between Reid and some of the other safeties we were high on but off the field I think is where Reid shined. We don't see that aspect and have to put the pieces together off limited info, but I do think he's more mature than a typical college grad. And I say that off very little info other than he has a 3-4yr daughter, appears actively involved with her, and hence motivation to support her. IE someone who will continue to work hard even after he gets paid.

Kind of giving me an Aldon vibe when we drafted them, initially wanted other options but the more I read/found out about them the more I liked. Not to the same extent as Aldon but moreso than AJ.
Ronnie's Pinky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The-Catch wrote:
Kind of giving me an Aldon vibe when we drafted them, initially wanted other options but the more I read/found out about them the more I liked. Not to the same extent as Aldon but moreso than AJ.

One area of similarity between Reid and Aldon is that they both struggled a bit during their senior seasons, Aldon due to recovering from the broken leg and Reid because he was the last man standing in an otherwise terrible secondary. I think the 49ers scouts try hard to look deeply into player performance and identify not only what has happened on the field, but also why, and they seem to be good at spotting players who are more talented than their statistical production would indicate.
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
wilmtalk wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
wilmtalk wrote:

It makes me wonder though if Cincy needed a S why didn't they take Cyprien at 21? Instead they went with probably the best player on the board in eifert(spell check). So it makes me want to think that yes Reid was the guy they wanted but Baalke knew that it was either trade up or watch Reid get picked them.

At first, I was so so on the pick but the more I watch his highlights, the more I believe that he should easily beat out Dahl and do a good job at FS.

another thing I like about Reid is his vertical, boy can he jump(40.5 inches).

My only gripe about this year's draft is that we didn't come away with more 2014 picks but getting compensation picks next year should not be a problem. As I think we should get 3-4 round pick for Goldson and maybe 5-7 with Soap and RJF.

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
It makes me wonder though if Cincy needed a S why didn't they take Cyprien at 21? Instead they went with probably the best player on the board in eifert(spell check). So it makes me want to think that yes Reid was the guy they wanted but Baalke knew that it was either trade up or watch Reid get picked them.

Just not the way it works. For fans doing a GM or FFMD mock, sure... they just take the "next, best player at that position" frequently. Real scouting selects far fewer prospects in each rd that they find acceptable... as they have interviews and far more tape to pour over than we do.

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
My only gripe about this year's draft is that we didn't come away with more 2014 picks but getting compensation picks next year should not be a problem. As I think we should get 3-4 round pick for Goldson and maybe 5-7 with Soap and RJF.

I know you saying "more future picks" can be interpreted in a number of ways... but we did score big in getting a 2014 3rd rounder by trading back to #40 in this draft. Add that to the 3rd/2nd rounder that Alex will get us in KC? and the comp picks?.. hey... I'd say we will have some nice, extra firepower in that 2014 draft.

Wink

___

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: