Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Welcome DJ Fluker OT, Alabama
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 8213
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Welcome DJ Fluker OT, Alabama Reply with quote

Chargers Pick Fluker. Big RT type who has the length to keep pass rushers at bay and the plain mauling strength to give us an instant run game.

Welcome to SD DJ Fluker
_________________

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AntonioGates


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 7819
Location: Southern California
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we learned Tom Telesco is the type of GM who goes for need over BPA. We have a center and a right tackle, and a bunch of bodies at guard. I hope we find a quality defensive player with pick 45.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 23276
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
So we learned Tom Telesco is the type of GM who goes for need over BPA. We have a center and a right tackle, and a bunch of bodies at guard. I hope we find a quality defensive player with pick 45.

One thing that was pointed out to me among my Twitter convo's is that Fluker is the type of OT that Baltimore typically covets (long, strong, big, and from SEC - the guy pointed out that Baltimore loves Bama prospects too). Baltimore does run a power-zone scheme, so I suppose there's hope for Fluker, but I don't see him as being as athletic as Oher - which may be his ceiling (not a bad ceiling, but I'd hope for better from #11 overall).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
game3525


Joined: 03 Oct 2009
Posts: 4887
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think Oher has better feet then Fluker......but hell at least he is replacing Clary. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wilkieray


Joined: 16 Mar 2012
Posts: 141
Location: Bossier city, LA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone think that they are actually considering King Dunlap a starter at LT. He started 12 games last year. Maybe they saw something they liked. If so then Fluker plays RT. We may already have our starting line.
Fluker
Troutman/Schilling/O'berger
Hardwick
Rinehart
Dunlap

O-line coach may be able to make it work? What do you think? I think we still add for development/depth.
_________________
New Regime = New Team... Now start building it and make it your own.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charger-man


FF Fanatic
Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 5003
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my rant yesterday I'm starting to calm down about the Fluker pick. It seems like you guys have more faith in the new coaches than I do. I just don't understand how we can spend the 11th pick on a RT when there is a game-changing defensive lineman and premier safety on the board. Our defense could have added an impact player, but instead we settled for "just" a good young RT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 23276
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
After my rant yesterday I'm starting to calm down about the Fluker pick. It seems like you guys have more faith in the new coaches than I do. I just don't understand how we can spend the 11th pick on a RT when there is a game-changing defensive lineman and premier safety on the board. Our defense could have added an impact player, but instead we settled for "just" a good young RT.

Well, to be honest the writing on the wall. If we hadn't had had a Bill Polian tutored GM on our hands I could have told you that this pick was going to be an OL and nothing else - it was just a matter of who was on the board.

Much as we'd like to have a dominant defense, if we had that and still couldn't protect our QB or run the ball effective well, then, that defense is really going to be all that dominant (constantly on the field, forced to protect small leads if any, probably dealing with poor field position).

Also, I don't doubt this pick was made from a marketing/sales perspective. Like it or not, to the layman Charger fan Fluker is a big beef OL off the National Championship, semi-pro team that is Alabama. To those fans if we'd come out of the 1st round without an OL then Dean and the ticketing department are likely waking up to a ton of letters of folks resigning their season tickets.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 23276
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
Anyone think that they are actually considering King Dunlap a starter at LT. He started 12 games last year. Maybe they saw something they liked. If so then Fluker plays RT. We may already have our starting line.
Fluker
Troutman/Schilling/O'berger
Hardwick
Rinehart
Dunlap

O-line coach may be able to make it work? What do you think? I think we still add for development/depth.

I think it takes more than one year to build an entire OL. We're going to be piece-meal this year and anyone who thought differently either wasn't being realistic or was being incredibly naive.

Keep an eye out for Reid Fragel or David Quessenberry in the 3rd today or 4th tomorrow. Wouldn't shock me in the slightest to see them take an athletic developmental guy who is probably a year away but doesn't really project terribly well to the strong-side because of questionable run-blocking.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 8213
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know, and it may just be me, but i think that the Chargers may have had Fluker rated above one or two of the "top 3" OT's in the draft. I keep thinking back to him talking about, when someone asked him "if the top 3 OT's and the top OG are off the board, who do you take" and his response was "well who are the top 3 OT's?". I dont know why but that comment keeps eating at me thinking that there was something up.

I dont know about Fluker, but he's definitely got the floor, and the more i watch him, his feet are very good, but just instantly stop on contact. Mauling strength right away, bends at the knees, not waist. We'll have to see what Joe D can get out of him.
_________________

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charger-man


FF Fanatic
Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 5003
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
I dont know, and it may just be me, but i think that the Chargers may have had Fluker rated above one or two of the "top 3" OT's in the draft. I keep thinking back to him talking about, when someone asked him "if the top 3 OT's and the top OG are off the board, who do you take" and his response was "well who are the top 3 OT's?". I dont know why but that comment keeps eating at me thinking that there was something up.

I dont know about Fluker, but he's definitely got the floor, and the more i watch him, his feet are very good, but just instantly stop on contact. Mauling strength right away, bends at the knees, not waist. We'll have to see what Joe D can get out of him.


I doubt that they rated him that highly. If I had to guess the Chargers draft board went:

1. Fisher
2. Joekel
3. Johnson
4. Cooper
5. Fluker
6. Dion Jordan
6. Warmack

With maybe Fluker as the fourth option. But a franchise LT would have been the team's priority
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 23276
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that Bobby Boucher in the press conference or Switkowski from The Longest Yard?

Fluker sounds about twenty forks short of a full drawer.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charger-man


FF Fanatic
Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 5003
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Was that Bobby Boucher in the press conference or Switkowski from The Longest Yard?

Fluker sounds about twenty forks short of a full drawer.


I thought he was joking for the first 10=15 seconds, but he's probably a fair representation of the average Alabama graduate (shots fired!). As long as he memorizes the playbook and realized that Rivers on the ground = bad, I'm sure he'll be alright.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 8213
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Was that Bobby Boucher in the press conference or Switkowski from The Longest Yard?

Fluker sounds about twenty forks short of a full drawer.


He sounds like he has a stutter pretty bigtime. But yeah, its somewhat painful to watch, i'm just glad he's not a guy that will be talking to the media a whole ton.
_________________

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zappaz


Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 1054
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Was that Bobby Boucher in the press conference or Switkowski from The Longest Yard?

Fluker sounds about twenty forks short of a full drawer.


Eek... finally watched the interview... definitely hard to listen to. Maybe it is the camera making him nervous?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Neutral


Joined: 08 Mar 2013
Posts: 693
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
After my rant yesterday I'm starting to calm down about the Fluker pick. It seems like you guys have more faith in the new coaches than I do. I just don't understand how we can spend the 11th pick on a RT when there is a game-changing defensive lineman and premier safety on the board. Our defense could have added an impact player, but instead we settled for "just" a good young RT.


To be fair, there were two teams in the top-10 that drafted guards. You can make an argument that it was because of how weak this draft is at the top. But, at least two or three front offices had the discussion about whether it was acceptable to take a low-impact position that high in the draft, and decided to do so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group