Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cleveland Browns First Round #6 Overall- Barkevious Mingo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
CanaDawg wrote:
I think we're going to see a run on people naming their dogs "Mingo".

Yep. I just named my three dogs Mingo. Could be confusing but I'm sure they will work it out eventually.

Have not told the Wife yet. She likes the current names.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
bulldog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grubs10 wrote:
Hate to say it but I think you guys got a potential stud. Many Steelers fans didn't like Mingo but he just seems to be oozing potential.

The main reason I wandered over here though is Jabaal. I am a Pitt graduate and got to watch Jabaal play and I just love the kid. Romeus got all the hype until his injury their last year but Jabaal was as steady of a playmaker as they come. I was already worried about him with your switch to the 34 but what is your honest opinion about what he will be for you in the next couple years.

Stop gap for Mingo?
Traded because he doesn't fit the new defense?
Will find a way to contribute even though Kruger and Mingo are the main contributors?
Run some hyrbid 4 front defenses with Kruger, Sheard, and Mingo (in a Von role)?

I just want him to succeed and wouldn't mind if it wasn't on the Browns Wink .

How do you guys see his career playing out over the next couple of years?

i think the plan is to simply have as many pass rushers as possible.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
grubs10 wrote:
Hate to say it but I think you guys got a potential stud. Many Steelers fans didn't like Mingo but he just seems to be oozing potential.

The main reason I wandered over here though is Jabaal. I am a Pitt graduate and got to watch Jabaal play and I just love the kid. Romeus got all the hype until his injury their last year but Jabaal was as steady of a playmaker as they come. I was already worried about him with your switch to the 34 but what is your honest opinion about what he will be for you in the next couple years.

Stop gap for Mingo?
Will find a way to contribute even though Kruger and Mingo are the main contributors?
Run some hyrbid 4 front defenses with Kruger, Sheard, and Mingo (in a Von role)?

Absolutely, but we must keep things in perspective.

Kruger is a guy who CAN be effective and SHOULD look decent in our system. I highly doubt many DC's are lying awake at night thinking of the terror that is Paul Kruger though.

Sheard has shown to be a nice piece as a LDE in a 4 man front. What his contributions will be in a 3-4 remain to be seen.

Groves is a rotational guy who is nearing 30. He'll more than likely play out his contract and we'll move on. Certainly nothing to write home about.

Mingo is a freaky athlete who reminds me a lot of Jevon Kearse. I'm excited to see him at OLB.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
bulldog wrote:
grubs10 wrote:

Stop gap for Mingo?

Kruger is a guy who CAN be effective and SHOULD look decent in our system. I highly doubt many DC's are lying awake at night thinking of the terror that is Paul Kruger though.

Sheard has shown to be a nice piece as a LDE in a 4 man front. What his contributions will be in a 3-4 remain to be seen.

Groves is a rotational guy who is nearing 30. He'll more than likely play out his contract and we'll move on. Certainly nothing to write home about.

Mingo is a freaky athlete who reminds me a lot of Jevon Kearse. I'm excited to see him at OLB.

I was trying to work out who Mingo compares to and couldn't think of a good fit. I think you nailed it there.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir
BooyaCS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this somewhere else and thought it was funny and fits.

There was a Tiger and a Dog and Mingo was his name O. M I NGO, M I NGO...

Every pick has a few ? about them however I feel better with Mingo in a Defense with Horton than as a rusher with Jaroun.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
bulldog wrote:
grubs10 wrote:

Stop gap for Mingo?

I was trying to work out who Mingo compares to and couldn't think of a good fit. I think you nailed it there.

They are eerily similar.

Both 6'4

Both ran a 4.58

Both have a 37 in vert

Mingo 128 in broad to 122 for Kearse

Kearse 4.24 20 yard shuttle vs 4.39 for Mingo

It should be noted Kearse was 20lbs heavier than Mingo. Either way, both guys are freaks of effin nature.

poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:

Kearse is a good comparison. I also see Bruce Irvin but a much higher ceiling. Freaky athletic rusher but weak against the run.

If he adds 15-20 like he says he can and will do and becomes more of a force against the run as well as refining his technique and use of hands, I could even see a DeMarcus Ware comparison as becoming apt. Different body shape at the moment but they have really similar violent explosion off the snap.

Now to get a beast of a safety! I'd actually trade up from the 3rd into the back end of the 2nd for Cyprien if he doesn't get picked up early.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poorbytehshore wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:

Kearse is a good comparison. I also see Bruce Irvin but a much higher ceiling. Freaky athletic rusher but weak against the run.

If he adds 15-20 like he says he can and will do and becomes more of a force against the run as well as refining his technique and use of hands, I could even see a DeMarcus Ware comparison as becoming apt.

Now to get a beast of a safety! I'd actually trade up from the 3rd into the back end of the 2nd for Cyprien if he doesn't get picked up early.

I didn't see him as weak against the run.

I thought he set the edge pretty well, especially considering his size as a 4-3 DE.

Bruce Irvin is a pretty solid comparison, especially athletically.

bulldog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like Mingo is a huge boom or bust player.

I also thing he's at least a year away from being an everydown player.

The fact that he refused to do the bench press isn't encouraging me about his strength.

Hopefully this year and can learn from Horton and figure out the small things about leverage (which he does do fairly well already) and hand use when rushing. then hit the weight room and focus on bulking up next offseason.

I think its mostly upper body mass he needs to add, so I think he could stand to add 15 lbs and not suffer a loss is speed or flexibility.
bulldog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
poorbytehshore wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:

If he adds 15-20 like he says he can and will do and becomes more of a force against the run as well as refining his technique and use of hands, I could even see a DeMarcus Ware comparison as becoming apt.

I didn't see him as weak against the run.

I thought he set the edge pretty well, especially considering his size as a 4-3 DE.

Bruce Irvin is a pretty solid comparison, especially athletically.

I agree with this. He held the edge and played contain well. Its his pass rushing skills that need improved and ability to straight up anchor and man handle a guy.
cortes02

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgdish wrote:
Our pass rush should be fun to watch this year...lord knows it better be effective, because our secondary is going to get shredded otherwise. Good pick, but I would have preferred Milliner.

I have to agree with this. It's not that Mingo is a bad pick, it's just that I feel Milliner was just as highly rated at a position of greater need.

Peace!!

Sig By Kempes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cortes02 wrote:
dawgdish wrote:
Our pass rush should be fun to watch this year...lord knows it better be effective, because our secondary is going to get shredded otherwise. Good pick, but I would have preferred Milliner.

I have to agree with this. It's not that Mingo is a bad pick, it's just that I feel Milliner was just as highly rated at a position of greater need.

Peace!!

I agree but if Milliner can't stay in the lineup what good is he?

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
dairyu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mingo is not a better prospect then Milliner or Jones.
No production last year against top teams. Frankly not impressed. One trick pony in my opinion. Very disappointed in Banner and Lombardi.
Jarvis Jones to Pittsburgh... kill me. Now I gotta watch this guy kill whoever we start at QB for the next 8 years.
bulldog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyu wrote:
No production last year against top teams. Frankly not impressed. One trick pony in my opinion. Very disappointed in Banner and Lombardi.
Jarvis Jones to Pittsburgh... kill me. Now I gotta watch this guy kill whoever we start at QB for the next 8 years.

You must be of the type that looks that the stat sheet to determine if a player is good or not.

Here's some food for thought.

Jason Peire-Paul- 6.5 sacks in his one year at South Florida
Clay Mathews- 5.5 sacks in 4 years at USC
JJ Watt- 11.5 sacks in 2 years at Wisconsin
Micheal Johnson- 19 sacks in 4 years at Georgia tech

And to me, Jarvis Jones = Chris Gocong.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
dairyu wrote:

You must be of the type that looks that the stat sheet to determine if a player is good or not.

Here's some food for thought.

Jason Peire-Paul- 6.5 sacks in his one year at South Florida
Clay Mathews- 5.5 sacks in 4 years at USC
JJ Watt- 11.5 sacks in 2 years at Wisconsin
Micheal Johnson- 19 sacks in 4 years at Georgia tech

And to me, Jarvis Jones = Chris Gocong.

So much yes to every aspect of this post.

Especially the last part

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: