Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 3rd pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Deadeye


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 5990
Location: A Nearby Dolphin Encounter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I called for Ireland's head, the trade details had not been revealed. We did give up very little to move up to #3, so in that regard Ireland did good.

Look, I did scream for a defensive playmaker. So if Jordan can do it, I'm happy.

Through 11 picks, four tackles and two guards are gone. There would have been no o-line help at #12.
_________________
Earn more sessions by sleeving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have watch some more film and if he can put on some weight (maybe another 15 - 20 pounds) and refine his technique he could be a premier player in this league....he's a physical freak....
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DavisIsland


Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Posts: 233
Location: Miami
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
By addressing the pass rush problem in Miami, we also address the talent drain in the secondary. Increased pass rush, decreases the seconds needed to cover opposing players. I think that is my favorite thing about adding Jordan.


Agreed 100% Good pass rush helps the secondary a lot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bpastermack


Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Posts: 13155
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
I like what I see overall with Jordan a lot. His measurables are off the charts. I worry about his mediocre career number of sacks, but his skill set is ridiculous.
Most of all hats off to Ireland for killing it in the compensation game. Radiers got nothing to move down to 12. I keep thinking they are going to announce more that wasn't reported. Just incredible.


He wasn't used as a pure pass rusher in Oregon who uses a strange defensive scheme. In some ways, we don't know exactly what his true potential is, and this pick makes a TON of sense if we plan to change around our defense. He can be used in a lot of ways. An OLB, a DE, a Jack type player who moves around. His wing span is ridiculous, and his strength and grip is crazy. I don't know how many tackles I saw him make that he had no business making cause he just reached out and grabbed the player that was really far away from his body. Jordan is a guy you can put his hand in the ground one play, have him drop back another player, and have him blitz from the inside on the next play. He will give people fits, especially if they try to double Wake.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Niedermaier


Joined: 19 Aug 2007
Posts: 961
Location: Oakland
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornerbacks dont need to defend the ball if the QB dont have time to throw it.
_________________



Will we ever address the Guard position?

Larry Little #66
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freak_of_nature


Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 466
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using this guy in coverage is probably a waste. Maybe he should be in coverage 1 out of 10 passing plays to fool the QB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bpastermack


Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Posts: 13155
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:
How about lining up in this pass-rushing 3-4 front on 3rd down:

Wake (OLB) - Odrick (DE) - Soliai (NT) - Starks (DE) - Jordan(OLB)

--------------------Wheeler (ILB) - Ellerbe (ILB)-----------------------


I wouldn't mind that ever down to be honest. Let's see what they say, but this guy is such a game changer that you really can build your defense around him. And Vernon has been said to look better at OLB. Misi and Vernon as backups? Remember we also picked up Martin the DT who came from a 3-4 defense. The more I think about it, the more I think Miami is moving to a 3-4 defense or at least back towards more of a hybrid one.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dolphinemidget


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 3781
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in January I said we needed a CB, WR and DE aka pass rusher, I have to give ireland credit getting a play maker (see that now after watching game film on him and reading what people are posting) and only cost us a 2nd, last looking at value of the trade makes me say WOW, I went feom let down to excited....

My gf said I need to send Ireland an appology email after I cussed him up and down when Jordan was picked..
_________________


Adopt a Phins 2014, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
Tannehill (2014 Season stats)
93/155 - 902 yards - 6 TD's - 3 INT's - 81.2 Rat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:
I think using this guy in coverage is probably a waste. Maybe he should be in coverage 1 out of 10 passing plays to fool the QB.


I doubt they will....but if he does drop back in a Zone blitz (again both LB's they signed are good blitzers) he can makes some plays...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get a Defensive Rookie of the Year!!!!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
candyman


Joined: 22 May 2005
Posts: 424
Location: Mexico City
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He gives us many possiblities, the ability to mix and match fronts. We have one of the most loaded front 7's in the league.

4-3
Wake Soliai Starks Jordan

Wheeler Ellerbe Misi

4-3
Wake Soliai Starks Vernon

Wheeler Ellerbe Jordan

3-4
Odrick Soliai Starks

Wake Wheeler Ellerbe Jordan

Teams like the Ravens, the Steelers and the Giants have consistently proved that having a deep front 7, with the ability to pressure every play, is the best way to make a defense look good.

Jordan has the ability and athleticism to cover TE's which has been one of our kryptonite's for a long time. He is RAW, but he has unlimited potential.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lemmiwinks


Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 158
Location: Westfield
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
Lemmiwinks wrote:
Why is everybody complaining so much about this? Dion Jordan is SICK. Stay and take Werner? Really? And call for firing Ireland? Philbin made this pick not Ireland and giving up just a 2nd to move up from 12 to 3 is phenomenal. I can't wait to see him play opposite Wake. Maybe run more 3-4 looks? Odrick Soliai Starks on the line. Wake Ellerbee Misi and Jordan. Nasty front 7, but no let's complain because we could've taken a quarterback and had him play left tackle.


Seriously? Werner couldn't hold Jordan's jock strap!! To give up just a second round pick to get Jordan instead of a guy like Werner is just awesome!! I think Ireland just got the steal of the draft based on the trade compensation.


I think you misread what I was saying. Someone mentioned staying at 12 and taking Werner and I was being critical of that. I agree, Werner is nowhere near as good as Jordan at least IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phins315


Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Posts: 875
Location: Turning Stone Casino
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the pick, got one of the only truly elite prospects in the draft. Very explosive player. Hopefully he comes in and puts his nose to the grindstone and works hard. Also great trade value wise by Ireland, only giving away one other pick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bpastermack


Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Posts: 13155
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemmiwinks wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
Lemmiwinks wrote:
Why is everybody complaining so much about this? Dion Jordan is SICK. Stay and take Werner? Really? And call for firing Ireland? Philbin made this pick not Ireland and giving up just a 2nd to move up from 12 to 3 is phenomenal. I can't wait to see him play opposite Wake. Maybe run more 3-4 looks? Odrick Soliai Starks on the line. Wake Ellerbee Misi and Jordan. Nasty front 7, but no let's complain because we could've taken a quarterback and had him play left tackle.


Seriously? Werner couldn't hold Jordan's jock strap!! To give up just a second round pick to get Jordan instead of a guy like Werner is just awesome!! I think Ireland just got the steal of the draft based on the trade compensation.


I think you misread what I was saying. Someone mentioned staying at 12 and taking Werner and I was being critical of that. I agree, Werner is nowhere near as good as Jordan at least IMO.


I typed it wrong, cause I was agreeing with you!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DavisIsland


Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Posts: 233
Location: Miami
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
He gives us many possiblities, the ability to mix and match fronts. We have one of the most loaded front 7's in the league.

4-3
Wake Soliai Starks Jordan

Wheeler Ellerbe Misi

4-3
Wake Soliai Starks Vernon

Wheeler Ellerbe Jordan

3-4
Odrick Soliai Starks

Wake Wheeler Ellerbe Jordan

Teams like the Ravens, the Steelers and the Giants have consistently proved that having a deep front 7, with the ability to pressure every play, is the best way to make a defense look good.

Jordan has the ability and athleticism to cover TE's which has been one of our kryptonite's for a long time. He is RAW, but he has unlimited potential.


I don't remember where I saw it, but I remember seeing an interview with Philbin shortly before the senior bowl where he stated that they dont really run one specific type of defense (4-3, 3-4). So Dion really fits that type of mindset as a guy who can fit in both.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group