Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DB424's Final 2013 NFL Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: DB424's Final 2013 NFL Mock Draft Reply with quote

I just wanted to throw a quick final mock draft together. I hope you guys enjoy this mock in preparation for the actual draft later tonight.

DB424's Final 2013 NFL Mock Draft
Quote:
Round One
Trade!!
The NY Jets trade up to pick #32 and secure the #2 QB on their board, EJ Manuel. Trading up allows them to get him on a five year deal. With a run likely to start at the top of the 2nd round, the Jets wanted to move up and make sure they got their guy.

Conversely the Ravens, having seen the top three consensus safeties in this class (Vaccaro, Elam, Cyprien) go off the board right before they pick- and with many ILBs still on the board, the Ravens become very interested in trading down.
Ravens receive:
Pick #39 (early 2nd)
Pick #106 (early 4th)

Round Two
Pick #39
Datone Jones, DE, UCLA

Curveball? Indeed, it is. The Ravens have been sending out a ton of smokescreens about which directions they are looking to go. And they've already added two interior defenders via free agency... but when has that ever stopped us from taking a talented player?

In any normal year, I think a player like Jones is a surefire 1st round pick. A guy that could be top 20. But this draft is saturated with top 15-20 level talents, but no elite top 5 guys.

Jones is a guy I've been high on throughout the process. He has an extremely strong punch, the strongest I saw at the combine. He's an athlete and disruptive. He has very good hand technique and does a really great job of getting into an OTs frame. Jones is versatile with the ability to play in both the 43 and the 34 as a DE, he could probably also play some 3-technique DT on occasion.

And while it's true that we addressed the DL with the signings of Canty and Spears... and we already have Jones, McPhee (who is getting some looks at OLB), and Cody... but besides Ngata, none of those players are going to strike fear into the hearts of opposing OL... I believe Jones is that type of player, a game changer. With the board not having the best safety value available and with ILB still having plenty of guys left that can be impact contributors, the Ravens elect to go BPA and nab an impact 34 DE. A guy that can run stuff and attack the QB.

Pick #62
Terron Armstead, LT, Arkansas Pinebluff

The Ravens have shown in the past that they are an organization willing to take a shot on small school players. Armstead is described as an intelligent player and a strong competitor... those are two traits that the Ravens highly value in their organization structure from the players to the front office. This draft was about finding leaders and core players, Armstead is an athlete, sure... but given that along with his intangibles, he seems like he could be the Torrey Smith of this OT class... and the Ravens pounce.

Round 3
Trade!!!
Ravens trade up to nine spots in the 3rd round to secure a falling talent.
Ravens give:
Pick #94 (late 3rd)
Pick #129 (late 4th)

Pick #85
Khaseem Greene, ILB, Rutgers University

The Ravens and Greene are a match made in heaven. The 2012 draft was described as being a depth draft, a draft to plug holes. Eric DeCosta described this draft as being a "core" draft- a draft where we're looking for core talent and leadership. Greene provides those intangibles to the equation as a 2x big east DPOY winner and the best defensive player in Rutgers history. More than that he also provides a great scheme fit. He's fast and athletic, excels in coverage and attacking against the run. He's a downhill player that can meet and take on blocks. We're talking about a guy who, the past two seasons has average 138.5 tkls, 13.25 TFL, and 4.75 sks... he has everything you look for in a player: production, athleticism, and intangibles. With Sio Moore going off the board, the Ravens couldn't risk not coming away with a tier 1 ILB talent (Brown, Te'O, Greene, Moore, Minter).

Round Four
Pick #106
Shamarko Thomas, SS, Syracuse University

So this is what it must feel like to be Al Davis... virtually all of our picks so far were combine superstars. And it's true, our defense needed to get both stronger up front and more athletic throughout. Thomas certainly brings athleticism to the equation. But he isn't some brainless athlete, he brings nice instincts to the equation and attacks what he sees. He can be exposed because of his aggressive nature- similar to Kenny Vaccaro. But he generally reads right more often than he does the opposite.

Thomas is incredibly versatile and while you probably won't want him covering TEs, he does have the vertical ability to get up and challenge some of that length in the open field. Where Thomas excels in coverage is in his ability to play slot WRs. In the USC tape, he covered Robert Woods 1on1 on occasion and stuck with him throughout. His speed and closing burst also allows him to play deeper and still attack the run before the runner can pick up a full head of steam. Thomas will sometimes whiff on some tackles, but generally, he can make some strong hits and make plays.

Pick #130
Michael Buchanan, ET, University of Illinois

With the additions already made to this point, our new look front 7 is already pretty scary, but adding Buchanan should only up the frightening factor. Buchanan is a long athlete with a good first step. He offers a different kind of pass rusher to what we have in Suggs, Dumervil, and Upshaw. Ravens brass have met with him this offseason so we know there is interest of some sort. Buchanan didn't have the year many thought he would have, but he's a tall fluid athlete with potential to excel as a pass rusher and has the size and fluidity to potentially be utilized as a cover option vs TEs on some sets.

Round Five
Trade!!!
The Ravens feel comfortable with the picks they've got in the later rounds covering all their team needs, so they trade for a 2014 4th round pick with the Minnesota Vikings.

Pick #168
Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon University

Mellette is a big and productive possession receiver. He was dominant at a lower level of play but could have some growing pains heading to the NFL. Mellette measures similarly to Da'Rick Rogers, a player I considered taking earlier in this mock. Mellette doesn't offer the same athletic gifts but offers strong hands, a guy that attacks the ball well, and a redzone option.

Round Six
Pick #199
Sean Renfree, QB, Duke University

The Ravens utilize their first 6th round pick to make sure they secure a QB option that can present a more similar playing style to what Flacco possesses over what Tyrod Taylor brings to the equation.

Pick #200
Justice Cunningham, TE, University of South Carolina

I really like Cunningham as a blocking TE option for us. He's got nice size and gets good leverage as a blocker. He also has some h-back experience and so he could act as both our #3 TE, blocking TE, and our #2 FB option.

Pick #203
Robert Lester, S, University of Alabama

Lester is a guy that's going to come and offer strong intangibles. He's a guy that you know what you're getting from him. We have plenty of young players competing at safety, but none truly offer Lester's same level of experience. Lester should be a safety option just in case of injury.

Round Seven
Pick #238
Knile Davis, RB, University of Arkansas

Davis is a highly talented back that was able to produce very well in the SEC when healthy. Davis has serious durability issues at this stage of his career, but it was never wrong for a team to add talent... and you can't argue with Davis past production. Worst case scenario is that he never gets healthy and we've wasted a 7th round pick on a RB... best case scenario is that Davis adds a strong runner with the athleticism to be a nice special teams addition.

Pick #247
Brandon McGee, CB, University of Miami

McGee is a potential selection. He displays nice athleticism and its worth a shot bring him into the fold to see whether or not he can develop into a competent player down the line.

Last edited by diamondbull424 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
dcarey20

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll first say that I haven't done a ton of research on Datone Jones. But from what I've heard, he'd be a good scheme fit. I also agree with your thoughts that the Ravens could take an interior lineman. It's not one of our needs but I could easily see them going that route given what they've said so far.

I like every other player you've got. Michael Buchanan in particular is someone I've become high on and that late he's a good value.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd love this draft. You cover all of our needs with good talent and then pick up quality depth at the end.

GO RAVENS!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: