Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris' Draft Thread! (Day Three Grades)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris00cm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Chris' Draft Thread! (Day Three Grades) Reply with quote

Welcome! It's that time of the year again and I am making another draft thread. You will find my first and only St. Louis Rams mock draft in this thread. Hope you guys appreciate it. A lot of time and effort went into this. After the draft, I will post my impressions, opinions, and grades.

How did I do last year? Click here to find out.

Final Thoughts:
It was a very exciting sophomore draft for Les Snead and the new regime that got off to a hot start, and cooled off at the end. It was definitely not short of trades or surprises. If other teams weren't aware before, I'm sure they know by now that Les is not afraid to move around and wheel-and-deal. He is quickly growing that reputation. Day one of the NFL Draft was nothing short of complete domination. They had a plan going into it, and they executed it to perfection. They traded up to get undoubtedly the number one player on the board, right before he was taken by the Jets. Then they traded down from #22 hoping to get Alec Ogletree, one of their four main targets, and succeeded, almost recouping the exact value lost in the first trade. After doing the math, the total points we lost on the trade chart with both trades combined was 23.4. The equivalent of a mid 6th round pick. That is awfully damn impressive. The first day alone warrants this a successful draft.

From there, the draft went into a direction I did not quite expect. The first pick, T.J. McDonald, does not surprise me. You live and die with the physically gifted, high upside players. I can live with that pick. The draft after that took a strange turn. The next pick, Stedman Bailey, is not big or really fast. To me, he will be nothing more than a really good #3 receiver in the NFL. Barrett Jones is a very similar player. I don't see him ever being an elite center or guard. His physical limitations will hold him back, and he could be a career reserve linemen. Brandon McGee appears to be a #4 CB/core special teamer. Nothing wrong with that. He does offer a little upside. Zac Stacy is a guy that does not rely on his physical traits to be successful. He's going to run a ton of people over, nor out run anyone. He's a mix in between, which can be hard to succeed in the NFL unless your other traits are truly elite.

I struggle to see the upside in most of the day 2 and 3 picks. I feel like after the first 3 picks, Les Snead and Jeff Fisher did not take any chances on guys and went with safe and solid picks. It really lacked those boom or bust picks in the later rounds like we saw the previous year like Trumaine Johnson, Chris Givens, and Daryl Richardson. That's why I loved the last draft. And what happened, they panned out beautifully because of great coaching.

Day one of the draft really gives this draft a high grade alone. I wasn't amazed with the later picks in the draft, which will ultimately lower the final grade. Most of the players will be good, solid roster guys with limited upside. They definitely could have been worst, but I think ultimately this draft will take a back seat to the last years draft.

Overall Draft Grade: B+

Wow. What a way to start the draft. It became painfully obvious by the middle of the day that the Rams were going to trade up to get their man, Tavon Austin. The only question was when, and the Bills made the most sense. The Jets were going to take Tavon Austin. We know that. I didn't mind trading up for Austin at the right price. When I first saw the Rams basically paid what the Dolphins paid to move up to #3, I was very skeptical. I thought we over paid for a great player. We would later figure out that the Rams and Falcons had a plan all along to trade, which makes this trade a no-brainer. Did the Rams basically give the Bills a blank check and told them they would pay anything? I think so. Is it worth it? You bet.

Tavon Austin is one the most interesting players I've ever watched in my life. Who has ever came out of college with the same production and physical skill set? No one. It is truly a rare commodity for someone to be so quick and so fast. Usually a player has straight line speed, or they are quicker than fast. Tavon Austin is the full package. He can play in the slot. He can play outside, despite what the critics think. He can run the ball from the backfield. He can return kicks and punts. This is a unique guy that a team like the St. Louis Rams desperately needed. Need proof? I've probably watched this game about 50 times, watch Tavon Austin vs. Oklahoma. One of the greatest performances in college history (he had 572 all-purpose yards). His most underrated asset is his strength and stamina. He physically wears out opposing defenses with his ankle breaking cuts. He gets better as the game goes on. Not something you see much from a guy that is 5'8" 174 lbs. His weaknesses are obvious. He's small. He will struggle run blocking. People also just assume he will have durability concerns for some reason even though he's never missed a practice.

It's not a secret I love Tavon Austin. Only way this pick gets a lower grade is if the Rams couldn't pull off the later trade.

Grade: A+++

Let me start off by saying, I hate using first round picks on coverage linebackers. Always have. A couple months ago when Ogletree was a realistic possibility for the Rams, I hated the idea. I thought he was a small and weak linebacker that was fast and was a product of Georgia's great defense. I was wronger than wrong. I really started looking into Ogletree around the combine and I was impressed with his strength. This is no run and chase linebacker. This is a guy that can split offensive linemen and make big time plays behind the line of scrimmage. More importantly, he can man up to receivers and tight ends and run with them stride for stride.

Alec has a rare combination of size, strength, and speed for the linebacker position. What does Ogletree do for this team? He adds a dimension this defense has lacked since Pisa Tinoisamoa. Ogletree can cover running backs. He can cover tight ends. Most importantly, he can run down ball carriers whether it be a running back or quarter back. In this division, this is obviously important. One of my favorite plays of his was watching him stand up Eddie Lacy at the goal line by himself. I thought it was impossible. Really impressive. Another thing Ogletree does, he lessens the need for a safety. Still need a guy that can cover deep, but Ogletree can do everything a box safety can do. He started his college playing career at safety. Why did Ogletree drop? Other than the off-field issues, I think he needs to get smarter. I want to see him fool QB's into making bad throws like James Laurinaitis does. Ogletree relied on his athletic ability in college to do all the work for him. I also think he needs to work on his pass rushing. That is something Jeff Fisher will have him doing a lot with his speed, making those mobile QB's in the division uncomfortable.

From everything I've read, Alec is a good kid that made a couple really stupid mistakes. Definitely something Jeff Fisher does not mind taking a chance on. I only have a few problems with this pick. At 22, I thought he would have been a slight reach. At 30, he is definitely right at where his value is. The fact they were going to take him at 22 regardless is something that I do not 100% agree with. I'm also not a fan of taking Jo-Lunn Dunbar off the field in nickel situations. And finally, I can't help but think Jonathan Cyprien might have been too good to pass up. I think he is just as good and fills a much larger need. Other than that, I love the fact the Rams took a guy many consider to be a top-15 pick if he didn't have any red flags. To be able to trade back, gain a couple picks you lost in the Tavon Austin trade, and still pick a guy of Ogletree's caliber is exceptional. Props to Les Snead to manipulating the draft.

Grade: B+

Lets just say, no one expected this pick. I think almost everyone had Rambo, Phillip and Shamarko Thomas rated in front of him. I must say, after looking up T.J. McDonald, this pick does not shock me as much as it did when the pick was first made. We know what these guys like, height and speed. This guy has more physical traits than most safeties in this draft. He is 6'2", can run fast in a straight line, and can knock people out. Length is considered a skill in today's NFL, and T.J. has plenty of that.

Did they reach for a big time need? Unfortunately they probably did. Safety was far and away the largest need on this team and the Rams had to get someone talented enough to start on day one. McDonald was widely considered a late 3rd round pick, so it's not as big of a reach as most people thought. Like I said earlier, no one else in the draft had the physical skill set McDonald did. Lot of people with knowledge around the league thought he would go right after D.J. Swearinger, which is exactly where he went.

What does McDonald bring to the table? He has a football pedigree and his father was a St. Louis football Cardinal. He had a prestigious career at USC starting 50 games and totaling 285 tackles. I think most will disagree with me here, but one of his best skill sets is ability to press on the line of scrimmage. He's strong and powerful enough to knock some people back before they break on their routes and I think he has enough length to stick with receivers for a short time. He also, obviously, can knock the snot out of people running down the middle of the field. He's gotta keep that head up though on those tackles. Ball skills are above average but he has really good hands. Surprising for a guy known for laying people out. One thing most big boy safeties have in this league, are stiff hips. The coaching staff has to put him in a position where he doesn't get exposed in that area.

Overall, I don't think I am going to grade as poorly as most think just because this pick makes a ton of sense and it really isn't a reach. I will say, this was the first Les Snead pick that made me say "huh?" If the coaching staff can put him in a position to play like Kam Chancellor, this is a good pick. If they are expecting other things, I don't think it will work out.
Grade: C+

This pick came out of no where. By far, this was the most surprising pick this regime has made. Even more surprising than the previous pick. When I watch Stedman Bailey, I see a guy that is not physically. That is obvious. I also don't see elite speed or quickness to warrant a guy his size to be picked. So what does he offer? He is quick into his routes. He has great hands. He understands how to fool opposing corners. He attacks the football as good as anyone in the air, always catching it at the highest point. And he knows how to set up his routes. Basically, he has all the intangibles a receiver needs with out the speed or height. If he ran a 4.4 and was 6'1", he would have been a borderline first round pick.

Why is this pick so surprising then? This front office has valued physical talent over intangibles since day one. Stedman Bailey is not a dynamic athlete. That's why it surprised me. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he wasn't the type of player this front office has coveted.

What does Stedman Bailey offer to this team? In my eyes, he's replacing Danny Amendola. We have the two outside receivers in Brian Quick and Chris Givens. We have the dynamic down the field TE/slot receiver in Jared Cook. We also have Tavon Austin, who can do anything he wants. Bailey is that short yardage, chain-moving type of WR in the NFL. Basically, he is the Danny Amendola replacement. Not saying Bailey can't make plays deep down the field, because Amendola did too, but I believe Bailey was brought into here to replace him. He's as reliable as it gets in this draft.

I can't rate this pick without bringing up how good he was in college. In 3 seasons, 39 games played, he had 41 touch downs. That's right, averaged 6 points a game. That is just astounding to me. Also totaled 210 receptions, 3218 yards, and a healthy 15.3 yards per catch. Mind boggling numbers. I couldn't do that on Madden if I tried.

In conclusion, he was a good pick. He wasn't a reach. Went right where he should have. I just didn't expect it. This pick will get a very good grade.

Here's another pick that didn't exactly fit the physically imposing mold. What Barrett Jones doesn't have in physical talent, he make up for it in intelligence. He is the smartest player in this draft. He knows what the defense is doing. He knows where he needs to be. He is never out of position. He will never get his QB killed either. He should also be groomed as the center, to replace Wells, who is very similar type of player. He played in the BCS National Championship game with an Lisfranc injury. That alone shows his toughness and dedication to the game of football.

There's a reason he dropped to the fourth. He's got some serious physical limitations. When watching him, I noticed some of the larger nose tackles marched him back into the QB at times. There were other times when he was over powered and thrown to the ground. This is why I believe he will be a much better center in the future. Even if he doesn't work out at guard, as a 4th round pick, picking a future center is still a solid investment and it will save the Rams a ton of money when Scott Wells' deal is off the payroll. This is a nice and solid pick. Jones should be in the league for a long time, but will never be considered as elite.
Grade: B

And here's the corner. Brandon McGee is an interesting corner that has a lot of speed. At Miami he did a little bit of everything which is why he's a valuable late rounder. He played both press man and zone, but excels in off-zone. He played LCB and RCB. He was also a very effective blitzer. When watching him, there are a couple things that come to mind. One, he never stops. He's always hustling to the ball carrier. There were so many times when he would line up on one side of the field and go across the field to make a tackle. Another thing, he's a very solid tackler. When teams ran his way, he was tough to block. If he didn't make the tackle, he would at least slow down the ball carrier so his team mates could. The most important thing that will give him a very good shot on sticking with the roster is play special teams. He was one of the gunners on kickoffs and punts.

This is a tough pick to grade because the Rams probably got exactly what they were looking for, but I could argue there was better value available.
Grade: C+

Zac Stacy is a compact running back with an intriguing skill set. He's another draft pick that is not exactly a superb athlete, but does a lot of things right for a running back. When you watch Stacy run, he has a great combination of vision, anticipation, and patience. You rarely see him run in the wrong hole at the wrong time. What makes Stacy really fun to watch is his feet. They are always churning, fighting for extra yards. Can't count how many times two or three defenders were all over him yet he still picked up 3 or 4 extra yards. He is the perfect change of pace for Isaiah Pead and Daryl Richardson, who lack that kind of power and ability to run up the middle.

Having a running back that knows how to run is only half the battle. Stacy is excellent at protecting the QB. He rarely whiffs and he always picks up the right assignment. He needs to stay on his feet a little more and try not to chop at the defenders legs as much. In the NFL, too many pass rushers will just jump over him. In the receiving game, he has soft hands and catches the ball pretty well. He can definitely be relied on to do everything a running back needs to do.

My only concerns, I'm not sure how his acceleration and long speed will translate to the NFL. Guys like Ray Rice and Arian Foster have had tremendous success with similar speed, so success for Stacy is definitely possible. I'm shocked he went after guys like Stephon Taylor and Joseph Randle. He's much better than them.

----------------------------

Round 1 Pick 16
Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

Analysis
This is a no-brainer in my opinion. There are red flags involved with this pick but lets go over the positives first. The Rams absolutely need a game breaker on offense. With the right coaching, this guy will be the best receiver in this draft class but it will take time. The so-called "red flags" are nothing more than the reason this guy is here. I don't care if he was a JUCO transfer. I don't believe everything I hear about his intelligence/character/work ethic.
Strengths
Big-play receiver developing a well-rounded game. Plays with quickness, effectively uses his frame to box out defenders, and competes to make receptions. Comes back to the ball out of breaks, nicely adjusts to errant throws, and wins out in battles. Possesses soft and strong hands. Can make the difficult reception in contorted positions. Keeps the play in bounds running after the catch, shows a burst of speed, and can be lethal in the open field. Tremendous punt and kick returner who consistently picks up big chunks of yardage whenever the ball is in his hands. Displays elusiveness, plays with excellent balance, and very athletic.
Weaknesses
Not a consistent hand catcher and lets the pass unnecessarily get inside his body. Marginal route runner who shows limited quickness and sharpness into breaks. Inconsistent blocker. JUCO transfer. Football intelligence could be a problem. Character concerns may exist.

Other possibilities:
WR Tavon Austin: If he drops to #16, you may see me sprint that card to the podium and Mr. Roger Goodell. Absolutely a sure thing. I just don't think he drops.

DT Sheldon Richardson: If he some how gets by Carolina, he would probably be the best player available at this pick. Defensive line help is not a need by any means, but Richardson is a special player at defensive tackle. I consider him to be the perfect complement to Michael Brockers.

G Chance Warmack: Do we take a chance? Heh. One of the more controversial topics in draft talk. Is a guard worth the #16 pick? I personally would pass on Warmack unless every possibility is already taken. I would like to list Jonathan Cooper as a possibility instead, but he will be taken before Warmack.

S Kenny Vaccaro: One of the most hated men on this forum it seems, the top safety in this draft class should be considered at this pick. This is the area he will be taken, and fills the Rams largest need. Should be noted the Rams did not have any interest in him prior to the draft... we think. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's the pick if he gets past New Orleans.

Unlikely possibilities: DT Star Lotulelei, T D.J. Fluker, G Jonathan Cooper

Round 1 Pick 22
Johnathan Cyprien, Safety, Florida International

Analysis
My number one safety and makes a ton of sense from what I've seen from this regime over the last year. Les Snead is not afraid to take a chance on small school talent, and loves his athletes. Cyprien is a physical freak and is a nightmare for opposing ball carriers. This pick fills the Rams largest need with a player that fits perfectly in every aspect.
Strengths
Well-rounded safety with a developing game. Instinctive, effectively diagnoses plays, and easily changes direction. Quick getting outside the numbers to the sidelines and displays terrific range on the field. Forceful defending the run, displays good recognition in zone coverage, and is fast to every area of the field. Remains disciplined with assignments, plays within himself but sells out to make the stop. Explosive hitter who drives his shoulders through the ballcarrier. Keeps the action front of him and gets his teammates in proper position. Has good ball skills.
Weaknesses
Average quickness and long speed. Displays marginal man coverage skills. Raw. Played lesser talent in small conference.

Other possibilities:

TRADE DOWN!:This makes the most sense. Gaining a future pick or another mid round selection to move down makes a ton of sense in this draft. The more picks you have in the middle rounds, the more you get to take advantage of the strength of this draft. If a QB drops, this pick will be in high demand.

DL Datone Jones: Talent-wise, he's well worth this pick. I'm thinking out of the box here, but I would LOVE Datone Jones here. I actually considered taking him here over Cyprien. Think of him as a rich mans Jason Jones. Jones is one of my favorite prospects in this draft with his outstanding quickness and positional versatility. He could play UT and DE for us without a problem.

LB Alec Ogletree: He's fast. He can cover. But he plays linebacker like the safety he used to be. Could have problems in the run game but he is a realistic possibility at this pick. Normally I'd hate to draft a coverage linebacker at this pick, but Ogletree's physical skill set provides an exception.

RB Eddie Lacy: Don't like the value Lacy presents here, but he is obviously a possibility. I think he's an exceptional running back and I love him more than most around here. He's incredibly shifty and quick for a guy his size and possesses all the skills needed to be an every down back. Just don't like him here.

WR DeAndre Hopkins: The one comparison I constantly hear associated with DeAndre is Roddy White. A former Atlanta Falcon first round pick. See what I'm doing here? There has been a ton of buzz surrounding him the last few days for the Rams... maybe a little too much. I don't think the Rams organization would let Hopkins visits gain so much publicity if he was getting serious consideration. Color me as not convinced. He should drop to #22 no problem.

T DJ Fluker: The draft is about building for the future just as much as building for this year. With Saffold likely gone next season, Fluker would step right in and start right away. He would be nasty to partner with Jake Long on the right side. Problem? Fluker will not drop to #22 and could be picked by the Cardinals at #7!

DT Sylvester Williams: Sly presents a very similar situation to Sheldon Richardson with the last pick. Potential BPA. He would be a perfect complement to Brockers as more of a pass rushing DT.

T Kyle Long: What? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he sneaked into the first round. Put me in the minority but I would not be ragin' if he was picked here. Just don't recommend it.

Round 2 Pick 46
Kyle Long, Tackle, Oregon

Analysis
Now this is where I'd love to select Kyle Long. I think there's a good chance he drops due to the number of tackles and guards in this draft. But I think Kyle Long has a chance to be just as good as anyone in this draft. Also think Kyle Long is more valuable to this organization than any other in the league. Having his brother on this team being a major motivator is huge. The great coaching, specifically Paul Boudreau, is the other reason. Kyle won't be forced to start day one and will be able to perfect his craft during the season at guard, next to Jake Long. How much fun would that be?
Strengths
Versatile offensive line prospect with a developing game. Patient. Bends his knees and blocks with consistent leverage. Explosive at the point, jolts defenders with terrific hand punch, and gets after blocking assignments. Displays outstanding movement skills. Fluid pulling across the line of scrimmage and is effective in motion. Stays square, anchors in pass protection, and keeps opponents in front of him.
Weaknesses
Still rough around the edges. Possesses average run-blocking strength and struggles to finish the play. Must improve his playing balance. JUCO transfer. Were his deficiencies masked by the up-tempo Oregon offense?

Other possibilities:
S Phillip Thomas: Almost put him here and would have really considered it if Cyprien wasn't selected earlier. He's the best center-field prospect in this draft after the first round, but his tackling worries me. That's something that must be coached.

LB Sio Moore: Personally, I think he's every bit as good as Alec Ogletree. I don't think he will drop though. If he does, he has to be considered. He can do multiple things at the linebacker position and can fly and make plays.

LB Khaseem Greene: I'm indifferent with Khaseem, but I certainly wouldn't object. He fills a huge need and has garnered interest from the Rams brass this off-season.

RB Eddie Lacy: I would love to see him drop to #46. But it is not going to happen. The guy is too talented of a runner to drop this far. IF he does, force Orlando Pace to make this selection asap.

S Matt Elam: Uber-physical safety and is considered a spark plug for the Florida defense. He has legitimate size concerns, which doesn't bode well for physical safeties like Elam. Generally have short NFL careers. Will be interesting to see if he drops this far though. The value is there.

S Johnathan Banks: He is oh so inconsistent. I think his best position in the NFL will be at safety. I just don't think he has the quicks to play against faster competition in the NFL. Think he's an intriguing safety though.

Round 3 Pick 78
Kiko Alonso, Linebacker, Oregon

Analysis
This guy does not get enough love. This guy is very athletic and does not back down from any challenge. I think he is exactly what this team has been lacking at OLB for a while. Jo-Lonn Dunbar and Alonso would create a formidable outside duo. Kiko is explosive enough to run down those read-option QB's and excel in coverage, while being strong enough against the run game. He's a tough kid that does nothing but make plays at linebacker.
Strengths
Versatile linebacker with a scheme-diverse game. Explosive, plays with a nonstop motor, and makes plays in every direction of the field. Displays terrific movement skills. Fires up the field filling gaps in run defense and quickly changes direction to make plays in pursuit. Instinctive. Immediately diagnoses plays and easily gets outside the numbers to make plays. Fast bearing down on the action. Breaks down well and is rarely knocked off his feet. Solid in pass coverage and displays the ability to run with backs or tight ends. Plays with a nasty, physical demeanor.
Weaknesses
Often plays out of control and over-pursues the action. Possesses solid size but lacks dominant strength. Durability and off-field concerns.

Other possibilities:
CB Tyrann Mathieu: I wanted to put him here so bad. But I decided against it for a couple reasons. One, I hope he's gone by now. He's so talented. Two, I wanted to do a little something different. Mathieu makes a ton of sense though and is a dynamic returner. I think Jeff Fisher, Chuck Cecil, and Cortland Finnegan can get his priorities in check. Despite popular belief, Mathieu does not have as many red-flags as many would think. He was the first guy in, last guy out during LSU practices and is not a cancer in the locker room. His addiction though is the only major red flag. I hope the Rams can pick up another 3rd rounder along and take a chance on this guy.

FS Bacarri Rambo: Another popular pick around here for obvious reasons. He fills the ball hawk need and has very good ball skills. A little overly aggressive at times, but there are worst problems to have.

RB Jonathan Franklin: My second favorite running back in this draft, most people don't think of Franklin as a guy that can carry the load. I disagree. This guy is powerful for his size and surprises a ton of opposing players. He is relentless. I think he can do everything a running back needs to do. He really shouldn't be available at this point though.

WR Terrance Williams: This is a desperation pick in the third. He's a good value here, but if he's the selection that most likely means the Rams have yet to pick a WR yet in this draft. That doesn't seem to be ideal.

G Brian Winters: When I watch this guy, I think of one word. Feisty. Some think he's a better fit in a zone scheme, but I think he's a good player in any scheme. He's been sky rocketing up big boards the last few weeks and is a potential 2nd round pick. I think he belongs in the 3rd-4th round range though.

C Travis Frederick: Consider me a fan. Some love him, some hate him. In this area of the draft, I think he is capable of being a starter in the NFL at center. But he has very limited upside. Might be in the league for 10 years, but will never be above average.

C Barrett Jones: He's the smartest guy on the football field. He can definitely help a QB make adjustments during the game and make sure the offensive line is on the same page. I'm just worried about his strength and overall skill set. I'm afraid he may be over powered in the NFL.

HB Marcus Lattimore: Pre-injury, he was a hell of a player. Will he ever be that same player again? Or will he be a fraction of his former self? That's the risk of taking him in the third round. I personally think there are better players available for the Rams at this junction of the draft.

Round 4 Pick 113
Alvin Bailey, G, Arkansas

Analysis
The best guard in the draft no one talks about. This guy can be just as good as Larry Warford. He is a very good athlete for an interior linemen and his tape is very impressive. The Rams are trying to upgrade the offensive line for obvious reason and this guy has the talent to start day one.
Strengths
Strong, run blocking lineman best in a small area. Quickly gets his hands into opponents, knocks them from the action, and gets movement run blocking. Blocks with good lean, anchors in pass protection, and large enough to engulf defenders. Stays square, battles throughout the play, and works well with teammates.
Weaknesses
Not a leverage blocker and must do a better job bending his knees. Lacks quick and fluid footwork in space.

Other possibilities:
RB Christine Michael: This is an athletic freak. He can run between the tackles and steam roll players. He can also run to the outside and zoom by players. His number one issue is fumbles. He is never going to get playing time if he coughs up the ball as much as he did in college.

G Hugh Thornton: This guy has been raising a ton of boards lately and was also brought in for a pre-draft visit. He is definitely in play for this pick. I just prefer Alvin Bailey.

LB Gerald Hodges: Hodges could realistically be available at this pick. Or he could be gone by now. This is the area he should be taken in. Hodges has plenty of speed and has a little Navarro Bowman in him. He's one of my favorite outside linebacker prospects.

S Shamarko Thomas: You can tell he plays STRONG safety. Shamarko is fun to watch in college. He's got the speed and lays some wood on ball carriers. My problem is I don't see how it translates to the NFL. How many of those big hits in college are fines in the NFL? I also wish he had better awareness, ball skills, and coverage skills.

OT Oday Aboushi: With a name like that, you have to be a big, mauling offensive linemen. That's exactly what he is. I could see why the Rams would have interest in him at this point in the draft. He would be a nice prospect for Paul Boudreau to develop with his size and strength.

LB Zaviar Gooden: He's an uber-athletic linebacker that has no problem going sideline to sideline to make plays. He lacks strength and size that is critical for shedding blocks, but will thrive playing zone.

RB Le'Veon Bell: I know I am part of the minority here, but I am not a huge Bell fan. I can name at least three running backs I'd rather have. I like how Bell can do everything, but not one part of his game sticks out to me. His pass protection and receiving ability are his strength. I hate how he runs the ball like he's Daryl Richardson, yet he's 230 lbs. He is not the power back like his frame would suggest. I just don't think Bell will be able to run in the NFL like he did in college, similar to LeGarrette Blount.

Round 5 Pick 149
Ty Powell, Linebacker/Defensive end/Safety, Harding

Analysis
Sleeper alert! I love everything about Ty Powell. He has size, speed, strength, and most importantly, talent. He can rush the passer, stop the run, and cover the pass. He's just incredibly raw and played at a school most people has never heard of. He also has the makings of a guy that can be a special team star. Frank Bush will have fun with him.
Strengths
Has a natural feel for the game. Finds and reacts to the ball in a timely manner. Strong in the core and flashes explosive upper body power. Quick feet and agile for 250 lbs. Good strength as a tackler. Possesses prototypical arm length and strong hands to latch on and finish with authority when wrapping up defenders.
Weaknesses
Angles are good but can be too flat on occasion chasing to the outside. Needs to tackle with more consistent pad level. Does not have a wide variety of pass rushing moves. Level of competition a huge concern.

Other possibilities: (Who knows at this point)
HB Mike Gillislee: Speedy change of pace back. Doesn't really fill a need.

WR Ace Sanders: I could see him going a round sooner, but he could be available here as well. He's a quick twitch guy that has some decent potential.

G Jeff Baca: Solid player that can play guard and center. That's where most of his value comes from. Won't make a fool of himself on the field, but may never be a really good player.

T Reid Fragel: I don't think he makes it this far, but if he does he would be a really nice pick. He has the frame everyone looks for in a right tackle. May have a few strength limitations but makes up for it in strength and length.

OLB Lerentee McCray: He's very similar to Powell, but does not have the athletic upside. Played DE in college at Florida, but will probably be a better SLB in the NFL. He is not a player many people talk about, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he was a starter in the near future.

Round 6 Pick 184
Don Jones, CB/S/LB, Arkansas State

Analysis
I'm digging deep for these late round picks. Why not? We really have no clue who will be available this late in the draft, so I'm just choosing some of my favorite sleepers. Don Jones can play anywhere on the defense. He can play outside at corner, nickel, free safety, strong safety, or even weak side linebacker if needed. He is a super athlete and had a knack for making big plays in college. You can never take too many chances on guys like this in the later rounds.
Strengths
Big time athlete. Has the positional flexibility to play anywhere on the defense to make a play. Stood out against inferior talent. Consistently hustling to the ball. Has plenty of speed to compete in the NFL.
Weaknesses
Occasionally overly aggressive. Always goes for the big play, putting more pressure on the defense. JUCO transfer. Football intelligence concerns.

Other possibilities:
RB Dennis Johnson: Quick running back that out-performed Knile Davis

DE David Bass: Dominant DE in college, has the size and strength you look for in a project.

OLB Brandon Magee: Nothing more than a 3rd down linebacker, but Magee showed impressive speed for a linebacker.

Dax Swanson: You can never have too many corners. Dax is a big time sleeper slowly rising up boards. Showed impressive man-to-man coverage ability in college.

Round 7 Pick 222
Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon

Analysis
Brian Quick anyone? This is a very similar prospect to quick. He may not be as big or as fast, he has the potential to be a very productive WR. Honestly wouldn't shock me if he went in the 4th round. He handled Casey Heyward pretty well whenever he played Vanderbilt a couple years ago. Obviously a big time project.
Strengths
Fluid releasing off the line of scrimmage. Comes back to the ball out of breaks. Boxes out defenders with his big frame. Agile and quick for a guy his size.
Weaknesses
Very raw. Not a true downfield threat. Must improve his balance running after receptions. Never played good competition.

Other possibilities:
Who cares. I'm tired.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity

Last edited by chris00cm on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:02 pm; edited 13 times in total
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done sir and not a bad mock to boot. The guys passed up in the 3rd for Alonso would hurt though (T.Williams, Winters, Mathieu) all of which I might prefer.

I could definitely see this happening.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
chris00cm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
Very well done sir and not a bad mock to boot. The guys passed up in the 3rd for Alonso would hurt though (T.Williams, Winters, Mathieu) all of which I might prefer.

I could definitely see this happening.
I dont think Williams offers us much more than what we already have. And I planned on picking Bailey in the next round, so Waters didnt make sense (if he drops). Cant argue with Mathieu. I just don`t think Kiko Alonso get enough credit.

jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I don't like Kiko Alonso as much as you do but it's a solid overall mock. Great job! Very Happy

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good mock. I think Cordarelle will be the 3rd WR picked. We'll know soon.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those first two picks = My dream scenario.

Not a huge fan of Long in the second or Kiko Alonso, but in a whole, this looks like a solid draft. Don Jones shoutout! Kid is a good player.

My NFL Draft Thread
Gambino62

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
Good mock. I think Cordarelle will be the 3rd WR picked. We'll know soon.

Tavon and Hunter ahead of him? Or someone else?

Kempes on the sig, El ramster on the avy.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keepnitgangsta1 wrote:
Those first two picks = My dream scenario.

Not a huge fan of Long in the second or Kiko Alonso, but in a whole, this looks like a solid draft. Don Jones shoutout! Kid is a good player.
Yes!

chris00cm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted my day 1 thoughts late last night... too late considering I had to work early this morning Laughing

Will definitely have day 2 posted today as well.

keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

One thing about Ogletree: Do you think he can get off blocks at the next level?

My NFL Draft Thread
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keepnitgangsta1 wrote:
Nice!

I think that's one area where our DLine will help him a lot at. While I'm sure Georgia has a good line in front of him the four guys up front in STL are going to command more attention.
keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVRamsFan wrote:
keepnitgangsta1 wrote:
Nice!

I think that's one area where our DLine will help him a lot at. While I'm sure Georgia has a good line in front of him the four guys up front in STL are going to command more attention.

Oh yeah, definitely. That's why I actually like the pick from STL's perspective. Ogletree is going to be comfortable playing in our system because he is going to be able to play downhill on pretty much every snap. He's going to make a lot of plays. May not be the most consistent right away, but he will make an impact.

On the comment that I have about him getting off blocks: I was responding to what chris said in his analysis of the pick.

My NFL Draft Thread
chris00cm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keepnitgangsta1 wrote:
Nice!

Yes. His strength really shocked me. I think he will do an adequate job shedding blocks in the run game. One game that backs this statement up, watch him vs. Alabama. You'll be surprised. I know I was the first time I watched that game.

Obviously he's not going to be a block shedding monster. That's not who he is. But he doesn't need to be when he can out run most offensive linemen in the league.

baconrad3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to come in and say how awesome you guys are going to be this year.

Your WR corps went from a huge weakness to a huge strength. Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin are going to be such a good tandem at WR.

And then getting Ogletree to play SAM next to JL.

McDonald is their wildcard pick. He could be very good though.

I think you guys had the best draft. I'm very jealous.

Rams are my pick to win the NFC West

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the grading with my final thoughts. Most will probably disagree with them, but that's okay.

And man... I was way off with Alvin Bailey. Thought he warranted a lot better of a pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: