Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NYFDB Draft Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: NYFDB Draft Thread Reply with quote

This year I have watched film of all the potential first round draft picks, all of the players who have visited the Cowboys, and quite a few more on top of that. I'm sure that no one cares what I think. But I figured I would share my first round grades and mock draft based on the research I've done.

If you have questions about anything, I'll be happy to give you my opinion on it.

First Round Grades

If I were the Cowboys, I would give out 16 first round grades. I've broken them down into three tiers:

Tier 1: The rankings of these guys is arbitrary. There is absolutely no chance any of these guys become Cowboys, so spending the time to rank them for the Cowboys is a waste.

1) Luke Joeckel
2) Eric Fisher
3) Lane Johnson
4) Dion Jordan
5) Ezekiel Ansah
6) Dee Milliner

Tier 2: Don't trade away from these guy without an unbelievable offer. Some are potential trade-up targets. Think the Cowboys would be thrilled with any one of them.

7) Star Lotulelei
8) Chance Warmack
9) Jonathan Cooper
10) Sharrif Floyd
11) Sheldon Richardson
12) Tavon Austin
13) Kenny Vaccaro

Tier 3: Not great immediate fits. Would try to trade away from these guys. Very good players, though, and worthy of the selection if no trade back is available.

14) Tank Carradine
15) Tyler Eifert
16) Bjoern Werner

Note 1: No other players, in my opinion, are worth #18. Not Mingo, Sly Williams, or Fluker. I would try very hard to trade out.

Note 2: Jarvis Jones as a player would be in tier 3 ahead of Carradine. If the Cowboys are comfortable with his spinal stenosis, then I would be as well.

Mock Draft

18) Sheldon Richardson, DT
-I think the offensive linemen get pushed up the draft board, and it causes the defensive linemen to fall. Richardson would be a star under Kiffin and Marinelli, in my opinion.

47) Kyle Long, OG
-Based on need and visitors, I don't see any way the Cowboys leave the the first two rounds without an offensive lineman. I think Long, Pugh, and Armstead would be the targets here. Long doesn't have a lot of tape, but he is absolutely Pro Bowl potential. would consider trading up for one of those three guys if the linemen are getting pushed up the board.

80) Markus Wheaton, WR
-Wide receiver, unlike OL, is going to get pushed down the board. Our pick in the third round could find a really nice value like Wheaton at the position

114) Le'Veon Bell, RB
-I personally don't like the player that much, but it seems like the Cowboys do. I see quite a bit of Shonn Green in the way he runs. Hopefully the extra size allows him to be more effective.

151) JJ Wilcox, S
-Love the potential of this guy, but he's not ready to play yet. Could be a real player down the line.

185) Brandon Magee, LB
-True RKG. Brought in for a visit. Position of need. Perfect fit in the 6th round, IMO.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a draft like that would be spectacular. Although I have no idea who the hell Brandon Magee is.

I agree with everyone you gave a 1st round grade to except Tank - although I am a big fan of his. I would also consider Patterson and Rhodes (although not anywhere near a need) to my first round Grades.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
resilient

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good overall breakdown... I would love Richardson. I also may be in the minority, but I am hoping for best DT over Best OG..For no other reason than I don't like watching Ware "wear down" as the only one collapsing the pocket.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I think a draft like that would be spectacular. Although I have no idea who the hell Brandon Magee is.

I agree with everyone you gave a 1st round grade to except Tank - although I am a big fan of his. I would also consider Patterson and Rhodes (although not anywhere near a need) to my first round Grades.

Bro, not only is Tank a first rounder... he's a solid first rounder. If the OLmen are gone at 18... he's probably #1 on my wish list.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Brandon Magee is a personal favorite of mine. Tore his knee before his senior season, otherwise he probably would have been a 3rd rounder in last year's draft.

From the tape, I rate Tank higher than Ansah and Jordan. He's a better player than Ansah (though not the ceiling), and he's a more complete defensive end than Jordan. But I can't justify putting him higher because of his injury.

I'm ok with Patterson if you can be really patient with him. But I think you are asking for trouble taking him in the first round.

Rhodes was right on the cusp for me as a first rounder. But when I really thought about it, there is no way I would be ok with the Cowboys selecting him in the first round, so I took him off the board.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resilient wrote:
good overall breakdown... I would love Richardson. I also may be in the minority, but I am hoping for best DT over Best OG..For no other reason than I don't like watching Ware "wear down" as the only one collapsing the pocket.

Richardson is a really good player. The weaknesses he does have are correctable, in my opinion. Definite star potential. But I wouldn't take him over the guards.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Bro, not only is Tank a first rounder... he's a solid first rounder. If the OLmen are gone at 18... he's probably #1 on my wish list.

Injury dropped him down for me. But I can understand why people like him.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

He's not #1 on my wishlist, but I agree that he is a solid first rounder. Would be more than fine with him becoming a Cowboy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJ Wilcox wont last until the 5th round. Other than that I agree with almost all of it. I could see our draft playing out very similar to your mock if we don't trade down.
NYDC4life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYFDB nice well thought out mock and very realistic imo. Love Richardson and agree he would be a star under Monte. And the rest of the draft is icing on the cake. I

Slam ,Tank is a player I like as well . If his knee is medically cleared, I see no reason why not to snatch him up if the others the Boys covet are gone.

Trenches are a must fix on both sides of the ball.

Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYDC4life wrote:
NYFDB nice well thought out mock and very realistic imo. Love Richardson and agree he would be a star under Monte. And the rest of the draft is icing on the cake. I

Slam ,Tank is a player I like as well . If his knee is medically cleared, I see no reason why not to snatch him up if the others the Boys covet are gone.

Trenches are a must fix on both sides of the ball.

One thing about Tank is that he seems to have really poor snap anticipation. He's general the last guy firing off the line of scrimmage, yet he was still extremely productive. Let him learn under Ware, and I think he could be scary good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little scared of Richardson, but I really like the draft. Excellent work.

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
GeorgiaBoy367

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drafts not bad but I think the only way we nab Long is in a tradeup. Based on how fast the lineman fly off the board. My guess is he probably goes beginning round 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
One thing about Tank is that he seems to have really poor snap anticipation. He's general the last guy firing off the line of scrimmage, yet he was still extremely productive. Let him learn under Ware, and I think he could be scary good.

From what I can tell, first step is nearly uncoachable, though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. It's nice for people like myself who are by no means even an amateur scout.

The eyes of Texas are upon you...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: