Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My draft Nightmare... And why I support RG (Articles)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: My draft Nightmare... And why I support RG (Articles) Reply with quote

Oh lord... Someone on another board just posted that he was listening to the Ticket (Cowboys Flagship Radio). Anywho, the radio guy was at VR doing interviews. He walked by a room where the Cowboys had their 1st round grades. He said he saw the following names circled:

Eifert
Vaccaro
Lacy
Reid
Carridine

I might murder a baby if we take a TE or RB. Hell, I am thinking of sacrificing a baby to Patty Mac before the draft just to ensure it doesn't happen.

Quote:
Garrett during the two drafts he's controlled. Yes, he controls the draft.

Jerry Jones has always let his head coach control the draft. Some of them, such as Garrett, Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson have taken advantage of the opportunity. Others, such as Wade Phillips, Dave Campo and Chan Gailey, have opted to let Jerry take the lead for whatever reason.

But you know Garrett is running the draft -- no matter how much Garrett and Jerry talk about a decision-making committee -- because he's forever talking about adding the right kind of guys.

He talks about drafting smart players. And players who were captains because he wants leaders. Garrett wants tough, physical players who love the game, which makes sense, because professional football is too hard on the mind, body and soul to excel without a true passion for the sport.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9197192/dallas-cowboys-jason-garrett-control-draft-future

Quote:
“You can’t continue to go to the well and pay the veteran players the $1 million, the $800,000, the $1.2 million,” Jones said. “We’ve got to do a better job going forward of taking your lumps early, but developing these guys and putting them in your lineup, those $300,000 and $400,000 and $500,000 guys. I think that is the big difference compared to where it was three, four, five years ago when you could get the veteran guys.

"I think obviously, when we start the season, that veteran guy is probably a little more ready to play than the young guy coming out of college. It’s a big jump. But with the cap where it is today, that’s one of the things you’re going to have to focus on is plugging these young guys in regardless of if they’re a third-round pick, a fourth-round pick. We had some injury issues last year that didn’t allow us to do that, but I certainly expect those guys to come along as well as the young guys we’ll pick in the third and fourth and fifth round this year.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4707607/for-cap-purposes-cowboys-need-a-middle-class

Quote:
“In general, I’d say that our scheme is influencing – our anticipated defensive scheme is influencing to some degree the kind of safeties or the kind of linemen, especially, that we’re looking at,” Jones said. “The good news is we really are in good shape over on the defensive side of the ball where that scheme is.”

Jones, asked if the defensive tackle or safety position is more important in the Cowboys’ 4-3, said, “I’d say that uniquely the pressure player still is the same as in the 3-4. I’d say the inside guys probably will be a little bit more quick twitch and have, especially the odd or the 3-tech, there will probably be a little bit more dominant player, which is a Ratliff-type player, as far as looking at the player.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/04/jerry-jones-says-cowboys-will-be-in-4-3-for-quite-some-time-and-havent-forgotten-how-to-draft-for-it.html#storylink=cpy

Quote:
Ware played with one arm for the last month of the season. He hyperextended his right elbow in early December and dealt with a torn posterior labrum late in the season. Ware needed an elbow and a shoulder brace for the final month of the season, and if the Cowboys' regular season finale didn't mean anything against the Washington Redskins he most likely wouldn't have played.

There was a possibility Ware might also need elbow surgery, but rest allowed that injury to heal.

"If you’re playing out there with a cast on, an elbow brace and shoulder brace on and you have one arm and you’re going against a guy who’s 350 pounds, it’s a little bit different," he said. "But I feel like if you get out there and give it all you got and what you got, some people would have been sitting on the sideline, and I wasn’t. So it’s getting out there and doing what you can do to help the team."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4707580/demarcus-ware-is-getting-healthy

Quote:
But Garrett said there is no need to focus on one area.

“You really try to be as disciplined as you can ... because I think, by nature, if you draft too much for need, I think your team by definition gets worse,” he said.

“You certainly have team needs; every team in the league has needs that they think are more pressing than others throughout their roster. But what we try to do is try to be as pure as we can be come draft day and try to pick the best players.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/04/garrett-says-draft-is-one-way-to-help-cowboys-running-game-but-drafting-for-need-makes-you-worse.html#storylink=cpy

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see us taking Eifert or Lacy at 18. If they're the best options left on the board for us when we go OTC, I'd imagine we trade back.

^^^mack
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
I can't see us taking Eifert or Lacy at 18. If they're the best options left on the board for us when we go OTC, I'd imagine we trade back.

Have to find a dance partner to trade back.

I think Jerry and JG are still having dreams of an effective two TE offense.

Fasano
Bennett
Hanna

..... It would drive me nuts if they take Eifert instead of giving Hanna a legit shot at being that guy.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, Lacy would be an embarrassing draft pick. And that's a huge reach for Reid. Eifert is a player, though. I can envision a very low-chance scenario where he would be my pick at #18.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

Fasano
Bennett
Hanna

..... It would drive me nuts if they take Eifert instead of giving Hanna a legit shot at being that guy.

I think that someone would absolutely be willing to trade with us for Eifert. If we pass on him, he belongs to the Giants, probably.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My draft Nightmare... And why I support RG (Articles) Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Oh lord... Someone on another board just posted that he was listening to the Ticket (Cowboys Flagship Radio). Anywho, the radio guy was at VR doing interviews. He walked by a room where the Cowboys had their 1st round grades. He said he saw the following names circled:

Eifert
Vaccaro
Lacy
Reid
Carridine

I might murder a baby if we take a TE or RB. Hell, I am thinking of sacrificing a baby to Patty Mac before the draft just to ensure it doesn't happen.

That actually does not suprise me. I have heard Eifert as high as 12 as well as Vacarro. I also think that Lacy will be taken in the first round and that Reid has a good shot depending on whether a team likes him or Elam better. I also think that there is a possiblity that Carridine gets taken before our pick by a team trading up in front of us. If the top three tackles are gone (which they will be) and both warmack and cooper are gone, then I would love the Carridine pick.

In fact, the more I look at Warmack the less I am sold on him compared to the value of the guards that can be taken later. If Cooper is gone I wouldnt be opposed to getting a guard in the 2nd instead of the first, even if Warmack is on the board. (well as long as we dont take Vacarro, qb, cb, fb, or kicker in the first).

Question: Who is going to go higher Bjoern Werner or Carridine?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

Fasano
Bennett
Hanna

Yeah, I really think Hanna COULD be that guy and he is one of the players I am most excited about this year! I would flat puke if we too Eifert! Reid would be ok, as well as Vaccaro. No to Lacy and Carridine as well - unless we trade Spencer on Thurs.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

Fasano
Bennett
Hanna

I agree that I'd rather see Hanna be given a chance to be that #2 guy.

I still think we find a way to get Cooper.

^^^mack
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

Fasano
Bennett
Hanna

Yep. Plan on Hanna being the 2nd TE, and draft a late round project. I also wanted to see what Crawford could do at DE. Hope he gets some time behind Spencer. Want to see if Albright/Wilber can man the SAM.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pretty much hate any of those picks.. Laughing
- Depending on who is avaliable, I might be fine with Vaccarro.

I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth to stay up half the night to be dissapointed.. Really, if we pick a TE, I don't even know what I would do. Lacy and Reid would be terrible picks as well at #18. I'm far from a fan of Carradine as well, even tho that I might be able to accept that pick with some time.
- I'm starting to fear that there won't be anyone who i like at #18, god I hope we can trade down if both guards are taken.
Captain Zapp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost positive that 105.3 The Fan is the flagship station for the Dallas Cowboys, not the Ticket. But to the point, the names could have been circled for any number of reasons. Maybe they just had their grades adjusted, or they are players they have heard trade interest for, or players who have medical issues, or that they didn't get to interview, or are trade up targets from the 2nd, or trade down targets from the 1st. Who knows. I couldn't be mad at any of those players drafted in the 2nd round. The only ones I would absolutely flip over in the 1st are Lacy and Eifert.
Baixis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually calming down and relaxing I think, and feel better about trusting Red. I also read things like this article, and it makes me feel better too, because I think a guy like Eiffert would fit this catagory, and be a 'pass' for us.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-JonathanBales/Running-the-Numbers-BPA-Doesn%E2%80%99t-Mean-Highest-Rated/14df0694-9811-4cc8-a244-f1525259c168
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it means much. We prob have more than 32 1st round talent. Doesn't mean only the lowest of the lowest named circled will drop to our 18th spot.

If that list means anything matt it gives us a good indication for where we are aiming at 2nd round.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
IMO, Lacy would be an embarrassing draft pick. And that's a huge reach for Reid. Eifert is a player, though. I can envision a very low-chance scenario where he would be my pick at #18.

So let me get this straight...you could envision a scenario where you'd be okay with drafting a Tight End in the first round, but you can't think of one where you'd be okay drafting a Wide Receiver in the second?

Please explain that logic to me...

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
I don't think it means much. We prob have more than 32 1st round talent. Doesn't mean only the lowest of the lowest named circled will drop to our 18th spot.

If that list means anything matt it gives us a good indication for where we are aiming at 2nd round.

I don't think we do. And nothing in our history has ever shown us having THAT many first round grades.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: