Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2013 Draft Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mse326

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Official 2013 Draft Thread Reply with quote

This will the official thread for Day 1 of the draft. We will have other threads for Day 2 and Day 3. Following is just a reminder of some guidelines/suggestions.

1. Keep all draft discussion in this thread. Don't start any other threads for non-Texan related draft day developments.

2. You can start a new thread for major Texans moves (i.e. Draft picks and/or trades). Don't start a new thread for rumors. Also be sure to check that a thread hasn't been made for the pick before you post one

3. Do Not post spoilers. Until the Commish announces it just don't post it. There is no pressing need to get it immediately and it just ticks people off. We don't expect you to try to figure out if both networks have showed the announcement, so one will do. So especially if you are following people on twitter just keep it to yourself.

4. The forum gets busy on draft day(s) and can get slow. So some tips and suggestions. First, bookmark the Texans forum so you can get right to it (you may want to do the same for the Draft forum if you are inclined to talk there as well). Second, please refrain from posting images or gifs. It will drastically slow the forum down. The lone exception would be if you are starting the thread for a draft pick you can post ONE picture of him in the OP.

5. Regardless of what happens remember that the forum rules still apply. So refrain from bad language even with the swear filter. Most of you have been here long enough to know what's allowed and what isn't, as well as how strict we'll police it. We get emotions run high and don't want to have to get involved, so just don't make us.

6. Most of all remember the is a fun/exciting/frustrating/maddening/depressing day for everyone. Respect that and we'll be good.

NOTE: I'll unlock this sometime tomorrow afternoon. Until then use the thread we've been using

EDIT: We can start using this one now. I'll keep the other one open for mock drafts. Use this one for rumors and general discussion

#JDI

Last edited by mse326 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reports out of KC is that if Reid gets the final say so they'll draft Fischer, but if their GM does, they'll take Jockel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should draft Jamar Taylor (if possible) or Dwayne Grantz in the second round to use as nickle corners. Casey Hayward of the Packers turned out to be a great pick and he plays nickle.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked this question in years past and will do so again. How much confidence do you have in Smith/Kubiak to make the right picks, ie: players that will step up and make a difference on this team next season? I feel like last years draft was a disappointment. Mercilus didn't play alot, Posey and Martin were a disappointment, and Brooks and Jones were mid round fill ins that played alright for rookies but not great. I think many of these guys will play better this next season though. Maybe my expectations were just to high to expect rookies to step in and make credible contributions.

So are we going to pick players like Watt, Cushing, Reed, Barwin; or are we going to pick guys like Molden, Jacoby Jones, Amobi Okoye, Travis Johnson? Where's your confidence level?
longhorntexan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
I've asked this question in years past and will do so again. How much confidence do you have in Smith/Kubiak to make the right picks, ie: players that will step up and make a difference on this team next season? I feel like last years draft was a disappointment. Mercilus didn't play alot, Posey and Martin were a disappointment, and Brooks and Jones were mid round fill ins that played alright for rookies but not great. I think many of these guys will play better this next season though. Maybe my expectations were just to high to expect rookies to step in and make credible contributions.

So are we going to pick players like Watt, Cushing, Reed, Barwin; or are we going to pick guys like Molden, Jacoby Jones, Amobi Okoye, Travis Johnson? Where's your confidence level?

I think the players you listed kind of answer your question for you. My opinion is that the Texans will get it right with their day 1 picks. They've shown a reasonably high success rate at doing that (excluding Okoye (everyone thought he was legit) and with jury still out on Jackson and Mercilus). Round 2 picks have also been pretty successful under the Kubiak regime with Ryans, Barwin, and even Tate to an extent. It's just from there where it gets really spotty where for every Daniels or Quin theres a handful of nonfactors.

In short, I trust them to get use a consistent starter or two during day 1 and 2, and maybe 1 more on day 3 with 1-2 quality depth guys and a handful of non contributors.

And Travis Johnson was the last first round pick of the previous regime.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day is here boys!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read on DJ Hayden's injury Shocked

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/d-j-hayden-draft-miracle-story-probably-died-142612017--ncaaf.html

Seems like if he had been in just about in any other city besides Houston, he would be deceased right now. Like Rick Smith said, "awe" inspiring stuff. Think
mse326

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With reports of Star Lotuleilei falling to the mid 1st would any of you like to move up to get him? How much would you be willing to offer?

I think if we can do a 1st and 3rd I'd do it. Then take a WR in the 2nd and a S with our comp 3rd.

#JDI
jch1911

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you may remember Waldo (a former poster in the Packers section). He had created some tools for measuring the "likely" (emphasis on likely) success (or lack of success) of NFL players based on measurables.

He was fairly good at predicting the players that Ted Thompson (Packers' GM) was likely to select.

What I have discovered is that the Texans' FO seems to follow a pretty similar strategy when it comes to drafting. Shocked

I bring this up because he posted a "Big Board" on google docs last night.

I would encourage you to check it out. I would also suggest you look at the player names in green and black pretty closely because there are probably more than a few future Texans in those groups. Laughing

Take it with a grain of salt (for example, Mercilus was a red for him last year)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApgUP8R-SI4MdDVkTVB5WTh3ZjhRRUlKNl8tVVpwbUE#gid=0

Some players that jump out are Vinston Painter; Hugh Thornton; Alvin Bailey; Eric Kush; Lucas Reed; Kyle Juszcyck; Chris Harper; & Earl Wolff among many others.

EDIT: He also has Star Lotuleilei as a red (said he was too slow / low explosion IIRC) = maybe the reason Star is falling Laughing Rolling Eyes
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
With reports of Star Lotuleilei falling to the mid 1st would any of you like to move up to get him? How much would you be willing to offer?

I think if we can do a 1st and 3rd I'd do it. Then take a WR in the 2nd and a S with our comp 3rd.

I would do it. If he falls to the Rams at pick 16 I would trade our 1st and oue 3rd for him like you said. Hopefully a WR like Terrence Williams, Quinton Patton or even Keenan Allen would be on the board when we pick. Star up the middle with Watt would be nasty.

Anyone else have a strange feeling that we might trade back tonight? I'm getting that kind of vibe.
Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
mse326 wrote:

I would do it. If he falls to the Rams at pick 16 I would trade our 1st and oue 3rd for him like you said. Hopefully a WR like Terrence Williams, Quinton Patton or even Keenan Allen would be on the board when we pick. Star up the middle with Watt would be nasty.

Anyone else have a strange feeling that we might trade back tonight? I'm getting that kind of vibe.
Laughing

I think it happens with a team wanting to draft a QB. Rick wants picks for day 2 and there will be plenty of WRs to still choose from.

TEXANS NATION LONGTIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
FFGL 1 Champ = Team Lork
jch1911

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Several people" tell TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline that the Texans will consider USC WR Robert Woods with their first-round pick.
per rotoworld
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:

If that's all it costs to move up then hell yes I'd run to the podium with his name, but I think the cost would be higher than our 1st and 3rd to move up to the mid teens. Provided the doctors have signed off on his heart issues.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost time baby. Let's go!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Quote:
"Several people" tell TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline that the Texans will consider USC WR Robert Woods with their first-round pick.
per rotoworld

My sense is that it will be Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, or Terrance Williams; none of whom are super exciting but any of whom I would be glad to see in a Texans uniform.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 1 of 33

Jump to: