Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sorry Guys, but I'm pissed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Sorry Guys, but I'm pissed Reply with quote

After over-spending every year since the Dan bought the team, I was hoping the Skins would spend wisely this year. With all of the termoil at wide receiver and cornerback, we cannot waste a 15 million dollar signing bonus on some fat butt who stunk last year. Now, all of our cap space is gone. We cant sign any free agent without mortgaging our future. I hate to say this but look at the freaking Cowboys. We had the same record as them last year and they beat us twice (again). Now, they have 20 million in cap space, will keep their core players and probably add 3-4 solid veterans without breaking the bank. Look at the Eagles. They are also well under the cap and have never broke the bank on free agents. They simply fill in holes from within. When Douglas and Trotter asked for too much money, they never shovelled out 15 million in signing bonuses. They let these players go, filled from within and used the money saved for TO and Kearse. Let me put it this way... if the Dan would have let Samuels go as a free agent, we could taken 15 million dollar bonus and divided it out amoung two very good players such as McKenzie and Ken Lucas. We would still have a solid tackle and fill a hole at cb. In short, it freaking sucks to be a Redskin fan right now.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
taylor36

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not.
We now have much more cap space. Samuels was not a free agent, the Redskins restructure his contract in order to have more money available for FA or simply for redskins FA like Smoot or Pierce who were great last year. It is not the greatest move ever, but it is good in the short-term.

Talking about FA, i heard that Rabach accepted to visit the Redskins. That would be great for our offensive line. Jansen-Thomas-Rabach-Dockery-Samuels. Awesome. Healthy o-line means more space for Portis, more time for Ramsey, therefore, better offense. What do you think about Reggie Hayward? Is he expensive?
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On paper, that would be a sweet nice o-line. But like you said, this is all predicated on the short term. We gotta win now. And, I dont know if we can do that with what is going on at wr. Are you thinking that if our line is good enough, it doesnt really matter who we have at wr? In other words, given enough time... any receiver can get open... kinda like the Dolphins in the Marino era.
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extension with Samuels was designed for the long-term, as it locks him up for years. We now have a very solid young O-line, assuming Rabach signs, with Samuels, Dockery, Rabach, Thomas, and Jansen. That, IMO, is one of the best in the business.

In addition it gave us more cap room this year. Bottom line, it was very good news for us.

The Cowboys have money to spend because they aren't very good. They have numerous holes, especially on defense, and they are aging. I would much rather be the Redskins with our roster and cap space than them with their roster and cap space.

Hayward is a guy who I would really like to target, but I don't know if he will get priced out of our range by a team like Jacksonville that needs a DE badly.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, if we are being honest with ourselves, all of us would agree that we would much rather be in the Cowboys situation right now (3 picks in the top 42 and 20 million under the cap). To say that we are a better team than the Cowboys is incredibly myopic. They beat 4 times in a row and dont have players begging to be traded or released. As for their holes on defense, they just filled 2 of their 3 biggest needs by signing Ferguson and Anthony Henry. Terms have not been released but I am sure they did not give out any 15 million dollar bonuses.

I cant believe I'm going to say this... but, our management sucks. I think we all know this but we love the team too much to admit it. Again, look at the Iggles. There management does it right. They dont overspend and they are never up against the cap. Again, this year, they could sign any two free agents they want and still be in good shape under the cap. We, on the other hand, have mortgaged our future, again.

And, to top matters off... What do we now do at WR? Both Gardner and Coles want out. If we are in such great shape, why does our best player want out? Do you hear any Cowboy or Eagle players begging to get traded or released? Worse yet... having a player to wants to be released, the team wanting to release or trade him, but cant because of the salary cap situation. That is why the Coles/Moss trade is impossible.

In all sincerity, if we win the superbowl this year or next... all is forgiven and I'll eat my words. However, we know that the team, in its current condition with Coles and Gardner in limbo, shaky o-line, and cb situation... would be fortunate to we win more than 8 games. Sorry Redskin fans, but for us this is reality no matter how myopic or optomistic any of us are.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe what I'm reading. Why would any of you want to be like the Cowboys? Look at it this way...Parcells and Gibbs both went after a couple of has been QBs. Where did that get either of them? We learned from our mistake, they didn't. We've got a good core of players. It's said over and over again in this forum that all we really need is a WR, DE, and C. That's 3 freakin positions! We did great in the draft last year with what little we had, and I don't see any reason why we won't do just as well this year with more picks and a weaker class. The Cowboys may have more cap room than us, but they've got more needs than us also.

It's funny to me that Skins fans always talk about how we're overspending (which is true) and not building a team, but at the same time saying that we need to do all these great things and win right away. You can either build a team that lasts many years, or you can go all out and try to win one year. I'd say we've done the latter and found out it didn't work, so now we're doing it the right way. Just watch and see.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sootedpair,
You are right about both Parcells and Gibbs signing "Has been QB's". You say that you learner from your mistake and the Boys didn't. I'm assuming your talking about the signing of Bledsoe. The Boys signed Vinny to a 1 yr contract last year. Cost us nothing to release him / not resign him. Bledsoe signed a 3 yr deal with a $2 million signing bonus. If he gets cut after 1 yr we will have a cap hit of 1.3 million next year.
Not bad concidering the cap hit of Burnell you will have to absorb if you cut that bad signing. $8 million
That is not even close when comparing the deals involved.
The Skins will be "Learning from your mistake for awhile"
Huge signing bonus's just push back the inevitable. (Cap Hit)
It will catch up, just ask the Titans.

Cool
sootedpair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Boys signed Vinny to a 1 yr contract last year. Cost us nothing to release him / not resign him. Bledsoe signed a 3 yr deal with a $2 million signing bonus. If he gets cut after 1 yr we will have a cap hit of 1.3 million next year.
Not bad concidering the cap hit of Burnell you will have to absorb if you cut that bad signing. $8 million
That is not even close when comparing the deals involved.
The Skins will be "Learning from your mistake for awhile"
Huge signing bonus's just push back the inevitable. (Cap Hit)

I can't argue with you about the Brunell mistake lasting longer. One difference though, is that we at least have a viable backup if needed (two actually), where Dallas doesn't (that we know of). Another difference is, nobody knew Brunell had lost that much, so only hindsight tells us that it was a big mistake. Everyone, except Parcells, said signing Vinny was wrong when Dallas signed him.

Who knows, the Skins might be able to talk Brunell in to restructuring. I don't think that will happen this year though.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are so close and only have a couple of holes to fill, why do we finish 6-10 every year? Why do the Cowboys, who have many holes to fill, kick our butt every year. Honestly, at this point in time, we cannot even say that we have a rivalry with the Cowboys... winning one time in 16 games does not a rivalry make. Bottom line... it all comes down to management. Isn't anyone else sick and tired of losing to the cowboys?
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who isn't pissed about losing to the Cowboys every year?

The fact is, we lost by a total of what? 6 points in 2 games to them last year?
That does not a butt-kicking make, to utilize your own style of prose. The fact is, we probably would have won the first game had Ramsey been in there instead of Brunell. Also, we clearly outplayed them in the last game, even though both teams were awful. The point is, the Cowboys beat us, but IMO we are the better team, by a fair margin actually. That is why I would prefer being the Skins to being the Boys.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If we are so close and only have a couple of holes to fill, why do we finish 6-10 every year? <snip stuff about always losing to Cowboys> Bottom line... it all comes down to management. Isn't anyone else sick and tired of losing to the cowboys?

I think I pointed out that we're getting away from the season to season mass overhauls of previous years. We need a GM (please Dan, get us Pioli next year) but Gibbs & Co. will right the ship and get us a consistently winning team.

As far as our poor streak against the Cowboys, it's sucks and nobody hates it more than I, but I'll give up those 2 losses if we can get 4 wins somewhere else. Beating the Cowboys isn't as important to me as getting to the postseason.

BTW, this whole bad streak started when they brought in Norv Turner. It's like a reverse curse of the Bambino. Let's just hope we don't have to wait 80+ years for it to be over.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all fair points except being a better team by a fair margin.
We are all allowed our oun opinion, that one is pretty funny though. Very Happy Both teams have nothing to brag about at this point.

P.S. Are you guys going to win the off season again this year? Very Happy

Cool
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah Dogs, looks like y'all are takin the lead signing Henry and Ferguson already apparently. I'm hoping we're content with the less is more theory this year and keep our core together, to quote Gibbs.

Also, I really do think the Skins are better. I think we will be better on both offense and defense in the coming year. In fact, I even think were are better on ST. It may not be a wide margin, but it seems fairly clear to me.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
P.S. Are you guys going to win the off season again this year?

I think we'll be one of the quieter teams, and work on resigning our own guys first. But just in case, someone might want to go slash the tires on Dan's jet.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL
About being a better team, only time will tell.
Injuries are the biggest factors in the league nowadays.

See ya next year.

Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: